PDA

View Full Version : Second Xbox 360

ExodusC
01-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Hey guys. Back in the day, I had an Xbox 360 Pro that I got (for the most part) free. I traded in a large mass of previous consoles and games that I know I would never touch again (kept my NES of course, sometimes I just need to play Megaman 2). I believe I had a Falcon board with the 65nm CPU, it had HDMI and such. I eventually sold the Xbox 360 to a friend of mine for $275, as I found the early titles pretty uninteresting.

I play PC games almost exclusively, but many of my friends are console gamers, and have little interest in building a PC or paying a large sum of money for a pre-built (they don't even own desktops, just laptops). They do, however, almost all own Xbox 360s, so I figured with prices being as low as they are, I'd go pick up a used Xbox 360 and join in on the fun.

I ended up winning a special edition Halo 3 Xbox 360 (I have this thing for dark green) on eBay for $175 shipped. I haven't gotten it yet, as it was only the other day I paid, but it is supposed to be in working order, good condition (I'm hoping the Microsoft warranty isn't voided, but the seller listed it as having a 90-day warranty left), and comes with a 30-day return policy to the seller. It's also nice to know that it comes with all the original accessories (controller, play and charge kit, hard drive, wired headset). I've never been too afraid of buying used equipment if it saves me money. I'm also working on getting some cheap accessories on eBay if I can (I've seen the wireless adapters go for $20 or so, and they retail for something like $100).

Anyways, the point of this was to ask what games everyone here is interested in (I figure XS has a good taste in games, being mostly PC gamers). My friends are big on JRPGs (this is probably the biggest reason I wanted an Xbox 360 again in the first place), so I'll be getting a lot of those loaned to me, but I'm also looking for some western titles to play. Hell, if there is any awesome download content games (I hear the Xbox 360 Worms port is great multiplayer fun), I'd be willing to dish out a little cash for some. I'm even considering buying some old original Xbox titles I missed out on.

I'm looking forward to getting an Xbox 360, and I guess it's time to start amassing a large sum of money for an HDTV (tough when you're a broke college student). I can take some pictures of the Xbox 360 when it comes, if anyone is interested. So, any suggestions, comments, or questions, please let me know!

zanzabar
01-01-2010, 07:54 PM
i hate my 360, the game selection is rather weak its got a worthless bunch of exclusive shooters and a couple of games from square. if it didnt let u play backups and there wasnt the jtag i couldent see any use in it

GTSRboy
01-01-2010, 11:55 PM
^haha

As far as games, my favorite is Forza 3 at the moment. I cant think of much else that's good that's also exclusive....modern warfare 2, assasins creed 2 are some to check out, but i don't own them myself.

I hope your xbox holds up, you have a falcon model, although the CPU is 65nm, the 90nm GPU is going to get hot, and adding the fact that the heatsink on the GPU is really small to make room for the DVD drive, they are and are prone to RROD. My falcon from ebay recently died, so now im in the market for the new jasper with 65nm on both GPU and CPU.

Zgradis
01-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Gears of War is pretty alright, Project Gotham racing is great, there are a few others but they are on PC. So my only beef with the 360 is that I can't plug and play my mouse and keyboard, I would LOVE to set my keyboard and mouse up on my 360 but i'd have to buy a $70 part... I suck with the controller for shooters and I can't seem to get better... While with the mouse and keyboard I can almost be at the top of the leader boards... So until I get that part my PC will still stay at the top of my list for gaming.

ExodusC
01-02-2010, 01:51 AM
^haha

As far as games, my favorite is Forza 3 at the moment. I cant think of much else that's good that's also exclusive....modern warfare 2, assasins creed 2 are some to check out, but i don't own them myself.

I hope your xbox holds up, you have a falcon model, although the CPU is 65nm, the 90nm GPU is going to get hot, and adding the fact that the heatsink on the GPU is really small to make room for the DVD drive, they are and are prone to RROD. My falcon from ebay recently died, so now im in the market for the new jasper with 65nm on both GPU and CPU.
If it came down to it, I figured I'd buy a Jasper mobo and stick it in the special edition case.

A lot of games I'll be getting to borrow secondhand from friends (Mass Effect, Dead Rising, a ton of JRPGs)... So we'll see. If anything, I'm still a sucker for Halo every once in a while, and Halo: Reach is supposed to launch on the Xbox 360 at some point.

EniGmA1987
01-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Anyways, the point of this was to ask what games everyone here is interested in (I figure XS has a good taste in games, being mostly PC gamers). My friends are big on JRPGs (this is probably the biggest reason I wanted an Xbox 360 again in the first place), so I'll be getting a lot of those loaned to me, but I'm also looking for some western titles to play.

Fable 2, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect!!!, Fallout 3, Bioshock (way better on a console), Darksiders, Assassins Creed 2 (and 1 I guess), Bioshock 2 (when its out). And obviously if you like Halo, get Halo ODST, as it comes with a pretty decent but short campaign, and gets you all of the regular Halo 3 multiplayer.

Chris_redfield
01-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Forza 3 is incredible. I got a stack of games for christmas and bought one or two in the steam sale but this has been pretty much the only game that I've properly spent any time with.

ExodusC
01-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Fable 2, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect!!!, Fallout 3, Bioshock (way better on a console), Darksiders, Assassins Creed 2 (and 1 I guess), Bioshock 2 (when its out). And obviously if you like Halo, get Halo ODST, as it comes with a pretty decent but short campaign, and gets you all of the regular Halo 3 multiplayer.
I disagree, I wouldn't ever want to play Bioshock on a console (played it on PC). Pretty much anything not console exclusive I'll be playing on a PC, with the exception of maybe Mass Effect.

EniGmA1987
01-02-2010, 08:50 PM
I just hated the very awkward mouse movement in the PC version. The control seemed better on xbox and the way you hack things just seemed more thought out. But if you played it on PC then there is no sense getting it on Xbox anyway.

Mass Effect 2 will be out soon though, whether you want to get it on Xbox or PC is up to you.

zanzabar
01-02-2010, 09:02 PM
I just hated the very awkward mouse movement in the PC version. The control seemed better on xbox and the way you hack things just seemed more thought out. But if you played it on PC then there is no sense getting it on Xbox anyway.

Mass Effect 2 will be out soon though, whether you want to get it on Xbox or PC is up to you.

u need to disable mouse smoothing and it fixes that problem, i thought that they were the same on the pc and 360 just that the 360 had alot less hp on things and it ran a little slow.

GTSRboy
01-02-2010, 10:45 PM
i am totally unable to aim with a thumbstick on a controller. Cant play halo worth a crap, i always prefer PC versions.

I dont think there's too much out for xbox 360 right now thats exclusive. I just went to gamespot to see what games are out for 360 and had a aneurysm after seeing a PS3 vs 360 article and had to leave.

ExodusC
01-03-2010, 07:05 AM
I ordered a copy of Operation Darkness for $15 on eBay. It got pretty bad reviews from critics (46% on Metacritic), but the user score was much better (7.0/10.0). I played the demo back in the day, and remember it being really fun.

I'm actually looking into buying some old original Xbox games. I'm trying to find a decently priced copy of Fatal Frame, but apparently Xbox copies are rather rare (PS2 copies are commonplace, however).

Jowy Atreides
01-03-2010, 07:41 AM
My friends are big on JRPGs (this is probably the biggest reason I wanted an Xbox 360 again in the first place), so I'll be getting a lot of those loaned to me

Get them to give you Tales of Vesperia!

ExodusC
01-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Get them to give you Tales of Vesperia!
Oh, I was planning on it. I believe one of my friends has it (he's HUGE on JRPGs). I loved Tales of Symphonia, and I hear Tales of Verperia is great.

EniGmA1987
01-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Just got Darksiders today, that is a really good game as well. Reminds me a lot of Metroid Prime in play style, but with a lot more fighting. Kinda like a mix between Prime and Fable 2 really, which makes a great combo. You should try it out if you want a great action RPG to play.

Serpentarius
01-05-2010, 08:50 PM
i thought copies were pirated?

ExodusC
01-05-2010, 10:36 PM
What? I'm not modding my Xbox 360, I actually want Xbox Live capability.

I'm actually going to borrow their physical copy of the game, you know, a legitimate one that they bought.

zanzabar
01-05-2010, 11:17 PM

there are plenty of ways to have copies without piracy.

and why would u want live if u have a computer

ExodusC
01-10-2010, 03:08 AM
A few days after getting the Xbox 360, it stopped reading disks entirely. The DVD drive appeared to be suffering from a very common issue that supposedly requires a new DVD drive.

I opened the Xbox 360 myself (was out of Microsoft warranty anyways) and opened the DVD drive. I played with a few things (most notably loosened a certain screw that many have reported will correct the issue), and after a few attempts managed to get the DVD drive to read disks.

It has been working so far since then, but I will post back if anything else screws up.

Back on topic, I have gotten ahold of Eternal Sonata from a friend, as well as Mass Effect. So far I've been enjoying Gears of War (though some parts are really annoying). I'm considering getting Forza 3. I'm also waiting on my copy of Operation Darkness to arrive.

GTSRboy
01-10-2010, 06:42 PM
You mean you new XBOX 360 halo edition is having problems???

Everytime i hear of a Microsoft product breaking and disappointing someone my dislike for that company grows...i cant believe you new one broke also??

Im still looking for a new one, my friends broke, and then mine broke so im looking for a Jasper, which hopefully is going to hold up

ExodusC
01-11-2010, 09:55 PM
You mean you new XBOX 360 halo edition is having problems???

Everytime i hear of a Microsoft product breaking and disappointing someone my dislike for that company grows...i cant believe you new one broke also??

Im still looking for a new one, my friends broke, and then mine broke so im looking for a Jasper, which hopefully is going to hold up
No. I bought this used. It's nearly... Three years old, I'd guess?

[XC]thewildblue
01-12-2010, 03:05 AM
Forza 3 is the nuts, I only got my first 360 to play forza 2. My son who is 5 loves dirt 2 and the lego games. I have some COD games but prefer to use a keyboard and mouse as I find it more accurate.

Im on xbox 360 number 3, my first was a pro and RRD on me and was modded so couldnt go back, I then bought a Halo, but when the elites became so cheap I moved the halo on for my son and treated myself.

EniGmA1987
01-12-2010, 04:55 PM
All the new XBoxes seem to be fine and dont have the RRoD problem anymore. I always just played my friends and finally bought my own when the arcade came out for cheap, and then bought a 120GB hard drive for $80 on ebay. Yes the real official Microsoft HDD, it came in retail packaging and everything. So since the Arcade has the same hardware as the elite, and I got the 120GB HDD, I was able to get everything the elite had plus an additional built in memory which I find incredibly useful, for only $280. That was back when the elite still cost $400.

My friend has gone through 4 or 5 XBox 360s, all repaired under warranty before finally trading it in and doing the exact same thing I did. He hasnt had a single problem since the new hardware either.

zanzabar
01-12-2010, 05:18 PM
the arcade is not the same as the elite the arcade has 512MB of nand and the elite has 16 or 256MB as they use the older boards since they dont need as much nand storage

EniGmA1987
01-12-2010, 05:29 PM
The arcade back in the day when the elite was really expensive still had 256MB of nand. I did a lot of research when I bought it, and at that time the arcade was the same as the elite. The newest CPU revision, gpu revision, onboard nand, and power brick. They are not the same anymore, but back then they were. The Arcade just didnt come with any HDD, and wasnt black.

ExodusC
01-12-2010, 09:20 PM
My intentions for this Halo 3 Xbox 360, assuming it dies, would be to pick up a new Jasper Arcade (I've seen them float around unopened on eBay for $130 or so) and then swap the internals, assuming I couldn't fix the RRoD myself.

Lestat
01-13-2010, 04:59 PM
ya know there is absolutely NO benefit to a jasper,,, none,, period... if you believe there is then you need to lay off the xbox forums as the jasper is no better or worse.
a smaller die GPU doesnt make it run any better or cooler, its still just as hot as it ever was.the one and only reaason they do not RROD as often is because they use epoxy to hold the cpu and gpu in place.
it has nothing to do with anything else.
they also removed the extra heatpipe cooler (on the newer jaspers) which i will never understand.... the stupid alum. heatsink on the gpu is not nearly enough to cool it properly, so lets just remove any help it has of staying a few degrees cooler.

ExodusC
01-14-2010, 12:03 PM
ya know there is absolutely NO benefit to a jasper,,, none,, period... if you believe there is then you need to lay off the xbox forums as the jasper is no better or worse.
a smaller die GPU doesnt make it run any better or cooler, its still just as hot as it ever was.the one and only reaason they do not RROD as often is because they use epoxy to hold the cpu and gpu in place.
it has nothing to do with anything else.
they also removed the extra heatpipe cooler (on the newer jaspers) which i will never understand.... the stupid alum. heatsink on the gpu is not nearly enough to cool it properly, so lets just remove any help it has of staying a few degrees cooler.
Even if we omit the them running cooler and quieter, Arcade Jaspers come with 512MB of internal flash memory (a small benefit), use less power, but most importantly, they won't red ring. I guess you might think that means Jasper boards have "absolutely no benefit," I personally think not red ringing is plenty benefit.

Again, I'd only be getting a Jasper if this one dies and is unfixable by me. Not to mention $130 is a drop in the bucket when new games are $60 nowadays.

zanzabar
01-14-2010, 01:21 PM
jaspers still RROD and they arnt old enough to e74. that 12MB is nice but it also sucks since dumping the nand for a jtag takes about 7 hours

GTSRboy
01-14-2010, 08:35 PM
ok so im looking for a new xbox should i not get a jasper and look for another falcon on ebay? I just want a damn box that wont break all i wanna do is play forza. I cant afford to have another xbox die im already $100 in the hole from my first ebay box

*sigh*

are you SURE the 65nm wont make a diff? What about a 45nm vs 65nm CPU on a desktop? the 45nm uses less power which means less heat generated.

EniGmA1987
01-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Yes the newest ones do make a different, they dont get the Red Ring of Death. Thats the most important difference and makes the newest ones the only XBox's to get.

And contrary to what Lestat says, they do make a power difference. Go look at the different generations power bricks, the newest ones draw way less electricity.

The 512MB memory is also useful when you have friends over who bring their hard drive. You can put your profile on the internal memory so you still have access to it without doing a longer account recovery back and forth to the other hard drive. Its so much easier.

ExodusC
01-18-2010, 06:32 PM
I just got a broken Xbox 360 Pro from a friend... Apparently it red ringed, and he tried to do an x-clamp replacement by himself, and broke some resistors off the back of the motherboard.

I decided I'll make a project out of this (should be fun). I bought a motherboard on eBay (that is also red ringed) and the paired DVD drive board (for the same drive the Xbox 360 I got is).

Hopefully I can fix the red ring on the eBay board, whether it be a simple x-clamp replacement or require reflow of the solder. If not, oh well, the board was pretty cheap.

Maybe I can get a working Xbox 360 out of this.

tbone8ty
01-18-2010, 06:36 PM
sixsense controller will be awesome

http://sixense.com/

GTSRboy
01-18-2010, 10:44 PM
I just got a broken Xbox 360 Pro from a friend... Apparently it red ringed, and he tried to do an x-clamp replacement by himself, and broke some resistors off the back of the motherboard.

I decided I'll make a project out of this (should be fun). I bought a motherboard on eBay (that is also red ringed) and the paired DVD drive board (for the same drive the Xbox 360 I got is).

Hopefully I can fix the red ring on the eBay board, whether it be a simple x-clamp replacement or require reflow of the solder. If not, oh well, the board was pretty cheap.

Maybe I can get a working Xbox 360 out of this.

My board was very problematic. If your looking to turn it into a project maybe 1.) do the x-clamp replacement and 2.) use a heatgun, if you have one to do a 'real' re-flowing. If it had RROD, it will come back. 3.) Try to improve cooling, no matter what you do that 90nm GPU is going to get hot with the shotty heatsink. I bought new fans, from tailsmoon. I cant confrim that there better because my xbox blew up once i installed them (lol) but they saposedly move 50% more air.

Another problem i was running into was possibly the GPU chip getting hot and the heatsink is not. My board would overheat, and i would feel the GPU heatsink, and it wouldnt be hot for reasons i dont know, maybe the x-clamp replacement is flawned in that the washers hold the heatsink up off the GPU ever to slightly, or that its hard to get it bolted down evenly. I can tell you if you use one washer under the sink, the motherboard will massivly warp (aka, you can clearly see it bent) but i cannot confirm that two washers happens to be the perfect height. Its hard to say.

Well anyway those are the problems i had and pondered...good luck!

ExodusC
01-19-2010, 10:11 AM
My board was very problematic. If your looking to turn it into a project maybe 1.) do the x-clamp replacement and 2.) use a heatgun, if you have one to do a 'real' re-flowing. If it had RROD, it will come back. 3.) Try to improve cooling, no matter what you do that 90nm GPU is going to get hot with the shotty heatsink. I bought new fans, from tailsmoon. I cant confrim that there better because my xbox blew up once i installed them (lol) but they saposedly move 50% more air.

Another problem i was running into was possibly the GPU chip getting hot and the heatsink is not. My board would overheat, and i would feel the GPU heatsink, and it wouldnt be hot for reasons i dont know, maybe the x-clamp replacement is flawned in that the washers hold the heatsink up off the GPU ever to slightly, or that its hard to get it bolted down evenly. I can tell you if you use one washer under the sink, the motherboard will massivly warp (aka, you can clearly see it bent) but i cannot confirm that two washers happens to be the perfect height. Its hard to say.

Well anyway those are the problems i had and pondered...good luck!
Thank you for the advice. I'm guessing the board was dead after installing the Talismoon fans? The statistics say they're about 17% quieter than the stock fans. I don't really like the LEDs, but if I could find just black ones, that would be great.

I can post a worklog on all of this if anyone is interested.

BringerOdeath
02-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Hey guys, I have 7 Xbox 360's, LOL! Everyone i know who had the 3 red rings gave them to me and bought another one. So I figured I would try the x-clamp mod and bout 10 dollars worth of bolts form the local hardware store. I got all 7 working perfectly and played 4 hours of different games on them, gears of war 2, halo 3, bioshock. They are all the original model without hdmi. All it takes is 4-32x1/2" machine bolts and size 8 washers!! I have gotten it to work 99% of the time. The DVD drives do fail quite a bit also, but all you have to do is buy a new dvd drive for about 22 bucks and then swap the control boards.....:)

zanzabar
02-14-2010, 02:45 PM
have u jtaged one instead of swapping the dvd drive, if u havnt updated the firmware past august and can still get the keyvault they are nice, u can hook a usb drive up and use a usb game loader so u can access all of your games at once and it wont stress the dvd drive

BringerOdeath
02-14-2010, 04:54 PM
have u jtaged one instead of swapping the dvd drive, if u havnt updated the firmware past august and can still get the keyvault they are nice, u can hook a usb drive up and use a usb game loader so u can access all of your games at once and it wont stress the dvd drive
Yeah, I have 3 that are 2007 firmware, that sounds cool. I will have to try that out. By the way I have some of the 20 gig 360 drives, but they were put into a pc so they are not recognized by the xbox 360. How do I get them compatible with the 360's again?:confused:

ExodusC
02-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Yeah, I have 3 that are 2007 firmware, that sounds cool. I will have to try that out. By the way I have some of the 20 gig 360 drives, but they were put into a pc so they are not recognized by the xbox 360. How do I get them compatible with the 360's again?:confused:
I'd assume there's some kind of formatting that needs to be done... Xbox 360 drives have a custom firmware flashed to them that allows them to be accessed by an Xbox 360. I don't imagine the PC would have touched the firmware, but it likely did something to the formatting or files. I'd Google for it.

zanzabar
02-16-2010, 02:25 PM

why would u put them in a pc. u need HDDhacker to fix them but if u already changed them over to non xbox hdds u could just replace all of the inerds with 120 or 250GB drives

BringerOdeath
02-16-2010, 05:58 PM
yeah, I ordered some of the WD 250GB drives from newegg, I will use Hddhackr to flash them. The 20GB seagates are not compatible with HDDhackr I think....

[XC] Synthetickiller
02-26-2010, 07:48 AM
I'm a n00b when it comes to the new consoles.

I've been considering getting a 360 since I can't stand Sony one bit. Whats a fair amount of money to dish out for a RROD 360? I've seen a few on ebay w/ 20gb hdds and hdmi. That seems to work for me honestly. I don't plan on doing xbox live. I just want it for a few games that aren't on PC, including Sonic 4. I won't play sonic on a Nintendo system. That's sacrilegious!

ExodusC
02-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Synthetickiller;4261146']I'm a n00b when it comes to the new consoles.

I've been considering getting a 360 since I can't stand Sony one bit. Whats a fair amount of money to dish out for a RROD 360? I've seen a few on ebay w/ 20gb hdds and hdmi. That seems to work for me honestly. I don't plan on doing xbox live. I just want it for a few games that aren't on PC, including Sonic 4. I won't play sonic on a Nintendo system. That's sacrilegious!
Not sure. I've seen the motherboards with DVD drive boards go for anywhere from $15-$25. A full console, I'm not sure. I actually have a semi-working Arcade I am trying to get rid of (it doesn't read games sometimes). It would need a new DVD drive to work, I think.

If I had sold it by now, I'd let you know how much it went for to give you an idea...

TJ TRICHEESE
02-26-2010, 11:14 AM

Have u still got the RROD xbox?
coz if u do i may be interested

[XC] Synthetickiller
02-27-2010, 07:35 AM
Thanks. I'm still waiting for sega to get off of their asses and make a sonic 4 port to PC. I'd rather dump $230 in an i7 successor in a year than to dump it in a console for one game that can't support netflix w/o buying a gold live membership.

[XC] Synthetickiller
02-28-2010, 07:51 PM
12?!?!!? All RROD?

If I knew I could use x-clamp on them (no dvd drive issues) I'd buy one for the right price, lol.

yaddam205
03-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Please post in Sales/Wanted.

We can't have out-of-section sales.

BringerOdeath
03-03-2010, 12:02 AM
Well, some of them have RROD's and some have bad drives. Bad drives are easy to replace and at least you know the system works!!

ExodusC
03-03-2010, 08:08 AM
Well, some of them have RROD's and some have bad drives. Bad drives are easy to replace and at least you know the system works!!
Yeah... I have two boxes sitting here with bad DVD drives. The BenQ in my Halo 3 Xbox 360 went out recently, and I bought another console with a bad drive for $40 from a friend. I'm planning get another drive for the Halo 3 box, and then just solder my controller board to it so I can keep Xbox Live capability (I'd prefer not to get these consoles banned). The other console has a LITE-ON drive that's bad as well.

I also bought another console from a friend last week for $20. It had red ringed (it's a first generation Xbox 360). He apparently had opened it and tried to do an x-clamp replacement by himself (it was also a GameStop refurbished console; I'm wondering if maybe they did it?). Either way, it was a poor job, they didn't use enough washers to get proper spacing between the GPU and the PCB. There were no washers at all, actually! It was literally bending the motherboard significantly more than the x-clamps do. I'm kind of surprised the die didn't crack. He also used a TON of thermal paste...

Regardless, I took off the heatsinks, cleaned everything with alcohol, took a heat gun to the board (twice, actually; a VRAM chip had a weak solder joint after the first run), replaced the heatsinks (this time using a heat-pipe GPU heatsink), did a proper x-clamp replacement, and put it all together. Viola, it booted and played just fine. I am concerned about my use of the older x-clamp method causing some board flex, but I've been stress testing it with Borderlands, and so far it's been fine. The only problem I've had is that I think the DVD drive is (mechanically) going out, as it won't open in the vertical position, nor will it even eject all the way when horizontal. I hear there are some fixes for this, so I'm going to look into it.

BringerOdeath
03-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Yeah... I have two boxes sitting here with bad DVD drives. The BenQ in my Halo 3 Xbox 360 went out recently, and I bought another console with a bad drive for $40 from a friend. I'm planning get another drive for the Halo 3 box, and then just solder my controller board to it so I can keep Xbox Live capability (I'd prefer not to get these consoles banned). The other console has a LITE-ON drive that's bad as well.

I also bought another console from a friend last week for $20. It had red ringed (it's a first generation Xbox 360). He apparently had opened it and tried to do an x-clamp replacement by himself (it was also a GameStop refurbished console; I'm wondering if maybe they did it?). Either way, it was a poor job, they didn't use enough washers to get proper spacing between the GPU and the PCB. There were no washers at all, actually! It was literally bending the motherboard significantly more than the x-clamps do. I'm kind of surprised the die didn't crack. He also used a TON of thermal paste...

Regardless, I took off the heatsinks, cleaned everything with alcohol, took a heat gun to the board (twice, actually; a VRAM chip had a weak solder joint after the first run), replaced the heatsinks (this time using a heat-pipe GPU heatsink), did a proper x-clamp replacement, and put it all together. Viola, it booted and played just fine. I am concerned about my use of the older x-clamp method causing some board flex, but I've been stress testing it with Borderlands, and so far it's been fine. The only problem I've had is that I think the DVD drive is (mechanically) going out, as it won't open in the vertical position, nor will it even eject all the way when horizontal. I hear there are some fixes for this, so I'm going to look into it.

You can flash the DVD drive with the original bin form the broken drive and still be just fine on live. It's when you flash custom firmware that you get banned!! I still find it easier to swap control boards....

zanzabar
03-15-2010, 10:32 PM
You can flash the DVD drive with the original bin form the broken drive and still be just fine on live. It's when you flash custom firmware that you get banned!! I still find it easier to swap control boards....

u cant get the original firmware from a lighton just the key, and there is a risk of banning when u flash the original firmware back with the extracted key. i would just use ixLT and not connect it online

Blkout
03-16-2010, 07:25 AM
i hate my 360, the game selection is rather weak its got a worthless bunch of exclusive shooters and a couple of games from square. if it didnt let u play backups and there wasnt the jtag i couldent see any use in it

Weak? The 360 has the best selection of quality games on any of the current consoles. The PS3 has about a handful of quality games that are actually exclusive to the system. The Wii is full of carnival minigames and flea market bargain bin games.

Put down the crack pipe.

zanzabar
03-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Weak? The 360 has the best selection of quality games on any of the current consoles. The PS3 has about a handful of quality games that are actually exclusive to the system. The Wii is full of carnival minigames and flea market bargain bin games.

Put down the crack pipe.

what are the non shooters that are exclusive to the 360 that are better than the ps3 ones, what u have forza that isnt as good as gt5 prologue, and thats the only one that comes to mind of competative.

Sushi Warrior
03-16-2010, 11:53 AM
what are the non shooters that are exclusive to the 360 that are better than the ps3 ones, what u have forza that isnt as good as gt5 prologue, and thats the only one that comes to mind of competative.

lol Yeah a full game with hundreds of cars and tracks is worse than a prologue. In your dreams.

Xbox has Mass Effect 1 & 2, both were pretty much RPG's of the year... as a matter of fact, Xbox also seems to be RPG central.

zanzabar
03-16-2010, 11:55 AM
lol Yeah a full game with hundreds of cars and tracks is worse than a prologue. In your dreams.

Xbox has Mass Effect 1 & 2, both were pretty much RPG's of the year... as a matter of fact, Xbox also seems to be RPG central.

those arnt exclusive to the 360 they are on the pc, and mass effect 2 isnt an rpg. the jrpg style ones just get more press on the 360, ps3 is all region free and most game have english editions in the rpg genera

and why is the 360 so noisy and why dose it have no battery to hold the clock

Sushi Warrior
03-16-2010, 11:59 AM
those arnt exclusive to the 360 they are on the pc, and mass effect 2 isnt an rpg. the jrpg style ones just get more press on the 360, ps3 is all region free and most game have english editions in the rpg genera

and why is the 360 so noisy and why dose it have no battery to hold the clock

PS3 doesn't have them, PC games don't really count as I know everyone here loves PC gaming more ( :yepp: ). Mass Effect 2 is an RPG, not having an inventory =/= not an RPG. You play the role of Captain Shephard, = role playing.

zanzabar
03-16-2010, 12:13 PM
PS3 doesn't have them, PC games don't really count as I know everyone here loves PC gaming more ( :yepp: ). Mass Effect 2 is an RPG, not having an inventory =/= not an RPG. You play the role of Captain Shephard, = role playing.

by logic then every game is an rpg with a character, ME2 is nothing but counter strike condition zero with a touch of story. if that was the 1st game it would be considered a TPS and not an RPG by the marketing department . (not to say that i didnt like it, and the 360 version was barely playable)

but in the rpg on the ps3 u have disgia, white knight chronicles, untold legends, then the 360 isnt going to get ff13 vs and u also have all of the imports, other than fable the ps3 has the top rpgs. for platformer/action adventure the 360 dosnt have anything since kameo.

the only thing the the 360 wins at is shooters (debatable ATM since kill zone and that the ps3 got the good console version of bc2), and the shovelware games like mx v atv

Sushi Warrior
03-16-2010, 12:24 PM
lol, I think you missed the fact that Mass Effect has something called a "story".... and a DAMN good one at least. You can customize your characters, they just made it more user friendly so you focus more on story and less on how much useless :banana::banana::banana::banana: is clogging up your backpack :lol:

zanzabar
03-16-2010, 01:06 PM
lets just drop it as we arnt going to change opinions, but was halo a fun rpg

Blkout
03-19-2010, 05:18 PM

Forza 2 is better than GT5 Prologue, Forza 3 is MILES ahead of GT5 Prologue.

Blkout
03-19-2010, 05:20 PM
by logic then every game is an rpg with a character, ME2 is nothing but counter strike condition zero with a touch of story. if that was the 1st game it would be considered a TPS and not an RPG by the marketing department . (not to say that i didnt like it, and the 360 version was barely playable)

but in the rpg on the ps3 u have disgia, white knight chronicles, untold legends, then the 360 isnt going to get ff13 vs and u also have all of the imports, other than fable the ps3 has the top rpgs. for platformer/action adventure the 360 dosnt have anything since kameo.

the only thing the the 360 wins at is shooters (debatable ATM since kill zone and that the ps3 got the good console version of bc2), and the shovelware games like mx v atv

Killzone was garbage, I had that game for 2 weeks finished it and never looked back. I was dissapointed with it from the moment I started it, but I finished regardless since I had already purchased it.

ExodusC
03-21-2010, 10:01 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned Gears of War. The first one was good, the second one was great. I thoroughly enjoyed the campaign (and the extra chapter DLC, I got it free with the Game of the Year Edition, only $30).

GTSRboy
03-22-2010, 05:07 AM
my 360 had been hanging on by a thread, but now its giving me E74. I think its dead-dead now. Im wondering what to do with a dead 360? Maybe microwave it?

Cyrus_the_Virus
03-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Whenever Ive gotten a RROD on a 360 out of warranty I just use the towel trick and then trade it in at gamestop...

MTP04
03-25-2010, 05:25 AM
I got the E74 error a couple weeks ago so I did the towel trick and got the machine running again but it only lasted about a week before the E74 error came back.:(

ExodusC
03-25-2010, 06:03 AM
I've successfully heat-gunned two boards back to life... It's definitely a long-term fix compared to the towel trick.

I also upgraded the heat sink on one of the boards to the heatpipe version. It's been running fine since.

kmkm
04-17-2010, 08:25 PM
I love Mass Effect Fallout 3, Bioshock.