PDA

View Full Version : Help me to improve my WC setup

mongoled
01-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Hello peeps,

I am looking to improve the performance of my WC loop.

The WC loop is to be high performance and low noise.

Here is my current setup it is a 1/2" configuration

Radiator: Thermochill HE120.3 (Yes an old relic, first in line for upgrade!)
Fans: 3 x YS Tech 126CFM | 1 x Delta EHE 190CFM (All running at 5v through fan controller)
Pump: Swiftech MCP655 D5 (Standard Top)
Reservoir: EK Multioption 250
CPU Block: Dtek Fuzion V2
Chipset Block: Dangerden Z-chipset

Having spent some free time researching as to what could be improved on I have come to the following conclusion.

1/ Radiator needs to be upgraded
2/ Pump could be upgraded

Everything else seems to be fine.

Current temperature statistics
23C ambient
CPU X4 965 @ 4Ghz (1.52v)
Fans @ 7v
Idle: 33-34C
Load: 48-49C

Looking forward to hearing from the XS WC gurus!

Kadett
01-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Decent temps for the CPU block you are using.
Unless your planning on adding a GPU to your loop I cant see a reason to upgrade any part. I'd say stick with it if nothings broken/worn.

Hardass
01-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Unless your planning on adding a GPU to your loop I cant see a reason to upgrade any part. I'd say stick with it if nothings broken/worn.

I agree, especially with that ambient temp.

warriorpoet
01-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Hello peeps,

I am looking to improve the performance of my WC loop.

The WC loop is to be high performance and low noise.

Here is my current setup it is a 1/2" configuration

Radiator: Thermochill HE120.3 (Yes an old relic, first in line for upgrade!)
Fans: 3 x YS Tech 126CFM | 1 x Delta EHE 190CFM (All running at 5v through fan controller)
Pump: Swiftech MCP655 D5 (Standard Top)
Reservoir: EK Multioption 250
CPU Block: Dtek Fuzion V2
Chipset Block: Dangerden Z-chipset

Having spent some free time researching as to what could be improved on I have come to the following conclusion.

1/ Radiator needs to be upgraded
2/ Pump could be upgraded

Everything else seems to be fine.

Current temperature statistics
23C ambient
CPU X4 965 @ 4Ghz (1.52v)
Fans @ 7v
Idle: 33-34C
Load: 48-49C

Looking forward to hearing from the XS WC gurus!Depends what you mean by low noise.

If I were updatin', I'd

1. upgrade the GPU (4850s are only $105)
2. replace all fans with Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans (800 RPM or 1850 RPM varient undervolted to 5v= ~770 RPM and REALLY quiet)
3. upgrade rad to Swiftech MCR-320 QP or (if you're willing to spend a little more, a Thermochill PA120.3)
4. pump upgrade is pretty much non-sensical with that CPU water block.

mongoled
01-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Unless your planning on adding a GPU to your loop I cant see a reason to upgrade any part. I'd say stick with it if nothings broken/worn.Hello, thanks for your input.

The way you say, 'the CPU block you are using', you give me the impression that their is a block available that would give me better temperatures?

I saw the Swiftech Apogee XT has been crowned as the best performing block available.

Ideally I am looking to get a 3-4C drop in load temperatures with fans running at 7v..........

-- EDIT --
I See Hardass (original XS member!!!) agrees

Depends what you mean by low noise.

If I were updatin', I'd

1. upgrade the GPU (4850s are only $105)
2. replace all fans with Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans (800 RPM or 1850 RPM varient undervolted to 5v= ~770 RPM and REALLY quiet)
3. upgrade rad to Swiftech MCR-320 QP or (if you're willing to spend a little more, a Thermochill PA120.3)
4. pump upgrade is pretty much non-sensical with that CPU water block.
Thanks for the reply

1/ OK, lets take into consideration that I updated the GPU, ofcourse I would want to watercool it!
2/ Id have to find a supplier that ships to Cyprus, they sure sound nice though
3/ I dont mind spending a little more, I did see that in the UK the Black Ice SR-1 360 is considerably more expensive than the Thermochill PA120.3, is it so much better?
4/ So my flow rate is OK, the xls file that Martin (martinlabs) kindly made available gives my flowrate as 1.55GPM, a GPU waterblock woud reduce this. Would a pump upgrade then make more sense and to what an Iwaki?

Kadett
01-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Hello, thanks for your input.

The way you say, 'the CPU block you are using', you give me the impression that their is a block available that would give me better temperatures?

I saw the Swiftech Apogee XT has been crowned as the best performing block available.

Ideally I am looking to get a 3-4C drop in load temperatures with fans running at 7v..........

-- EDIT --
I See Hardass (original XS member!!!) agrees

Swiftech Apogee XT
EK Supreme HF
Watercool Heatkiller 3.0

Those are the 3 main contenders for best performance. EK would be my choice since it has all mounting hardware for every socket. Where as for the Swiftech you could email Swiftech for specific Intel backplates and the Heatkiller has an AMD and different Intel socket version.

Thanks for the reply

1/ OK, lets take into consideration that I updated the GPU, ofcourse I would want to watercool it!
2/ Id have to find a supplier that ships to Cyprus, they sure sound nice though
3/ I dont mind spending a little more, I did see that in the UK the Black Ice SR-1 360 is considerably more expensive than the Thermochill PA120.3, is it so much better?
4/ So my flow rate is OK, the xls file that Martin (martinlabs) kindly made available gives my flowrate as 1.55GPM, a GPU waterblock woud reduce this. Would a pump upgrade then make more sense and to what an Iwaki?

1: If you do I suggest the EK 4850 waterblock
2: Get the 1450rpm or 1850rpm version. Since you already have a fan controller. If you think they are to loud you can always turn them down.
3: Price/performance the Swiftech rads are hard to beat. EK started to sell rads as well at about the same price as Swiftech, I would wait till after this weekend. Skinnee is just finishing up a review on the EK 360 rads.
4: If you dont have an aftermarket top on the D5 you can invest in that. Its not like your having a high restriction loop.

warriorpoet
01-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Swiftech Apogee XT
EK Supreme HF
Watercool Heatkiller 3.0

Those are the 3 main contenders for best performance. EK would be my choice since it has all mounting hardware for every socket. Where as for the Swiftech you could email Swiftech for specific Intel backplates and the Heatkiller has an AMD and different Intel socket version.

1: If you do I suggest the EK 4850 waterblock
2: Get the 1450rpm or 1850rpm version. Since you already have a fan controller. If you think they are to loud you can always turn them down.
3: Price/performance the Swiftech rads are hard to beat. EK started to sell rads as well at about the same price as Swiftech, I would wait till after this weekend. Skinnee is just finishing up a review on the EK 360 rads.
4: If you dont have an aftermarket top on the D5 you can invest in that. Its not like your having a high restriction loop.All true. If you drop to ~1.1-1.2 GPM you'll hardly take any temp hit at all. Investing in a pump top is all I'd do, personally.

Now, if you're after that last C, you'll want to do something more drastic, probably in the DDC+restop direction. Keep in mind, however, going to lower CFM fans in push-pull will do more for your temps than extra GPM in most cases.

mongoled
01-01-2010, 01:46 PM
OK peeps, so it looks like the following

Items to buy........

1 x ThermoChill PA120.3
1 x Thermochill Performance Shroud
6 x Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm
1 x Swiftech Apogee XT
1 x EK Laing D5 X-TOP

From what you guys have suggested so far, and from what I have read on the net, this looks to be the best upgrade path for me to take.

Now just have to wait for some things to come into stock and hope the stores can send these thing to me here in Cyprus.

Am still interested to hear other peeps comments.

Could someone point out to me, a fitting that I can attach to my loop that would allow me to top up the reservoir without having to break my loop.

The issue I am having is that the radiator is situated on the top of the case, while the reservoir is below this. I have to tip the PC in order to fill the loop.

Is there not something like a tap, that I can connect to the reservoir then to a length of tubing, so that I can raise this above the radiator, open the tap and fill it?

Anyone wish to guesstimate temperature improvements in implementing these changes

:D

Sadasius
01-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Could someone point out to me, a fitting that I can attach to my loop that would allow me to top up the reservoir without having to break my loop.

The issue I am having is that the radiator is situated on the top of the case, while the reservoir is below this. I have to tip the PC in order to fill the loop.

Is there not something like a tap, that I can connect to the reservoir then to a length of tubing, so that I can raise this above the radiator, open the tap and fill it?

:D

Well I have done what you talking about and I have used compression fittings and an extender plus a drain plug on the top of the case to fill the res. Here is a pic.

http://extreme-showcase.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/4.jpg

Bodkin
01-01-2010, 02:05 PM
^ me like :D