PDA

View Full Version : I am convinced I have finally perfected applying thermal compound

HeXploiT
12-30-2009, 11:27 PM
I have been experimenting with thermal compound for 15 years and today I believe I have finally perfected the process. I've been using a Zalmon 9700 for going on three years now. I spent two years with my e6300 and the past year with the e8400 removing it perhaps 6-7 times.
In the past I always used just enough as5 to get a semi-transparent layer on the cooler itself resulting in an idle temp of about 25 and load of 31-34. None of the x's +'s or putting it in the center and rotating the cpu.
Well this time I decided to use a little more. I used about a drop and my goal was to make it just thin enough that it was not transparent but no thicker followed by putting the sink straight down with no rotating.
Below are my results with which I am, needless to say, very happy.

Ambient room temp is 68f and the zalmon fan is on low (<700rpm).
Case is a Coolermaster HAF and my PEEK temp under load is 27c.:up:

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/5112/cpujm.jpg

HeXploiT
12-31-2009, 08:52 AM
No nerds to pat me on the back? What's up with that?

HDCHOPPER
12-31-2009, 09:11 AM
LOL pat*pat*

I have been doing AS5 that way a while now ,took just a bit over the "grain of rice" bit really about 2 .....I guess that would be like a drop ;)

HeXploiT
12-31-2009, 09:15 AM
LOL pat*pat*

I have been doing AS5 that way a while now ,took just a bit over the "grain of rice" bit really about 2 .....I guess that would be like a drop ;)

Well thanks for patting me on the back of your own accord.:D
For 775 I'd say I used about two grains as well.

XS Janus
12-31-2009, 05:06 PM
I never understood all the fuss talk about applying them.
i always use a grain of rice on the IHS and a smaller amount on cooler base. I spread both around the surface with my finger and don't look back. works great for me!
I mean... chances are your IHS or your cooler base are a bit bumpy any way... so if you don't want to flatten them... dont dwell on the thermal paste application process to much.

HeXploiT
12-31-2009, 07:12 PM
I never understood all the fuss talk about applying them.
i always use a grain of rice on the IHS and a smaller amount on cooler base. I spread both around the surface with my finger and don't look back. works great for me!
I mean... chances are your IHS or your cooler base are a bit bumpy any way... so if you don't want to flatten them... dont dwell on the thermal paste application process to much.

Well the whole point of applying thermal compound is because the surfaces are imperfect now isn't it?
If both surfaces were perfectly flat they would make 100% contact we wouldn't need the compound then would we?:)