PDA

View Full Version : LED-backlit LCD shipments to rise exponentially in 2010

zalbard
12-30-2009, 05:41 AM
Source: http://www.fudzilla.com/ (http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17022/1/)

Industry-leading professional analysts from iSuppli have recently been able to predict that LED-backlit LCD HDTV shipments will increase in the year 2010 by a margin of about eight times the current shipment numbers. To quote specifics, shipments for 40-inch and larger models are expected to exponentially rise from 2.5 million units in 2009 to 18.8 million units in 2010.

There are various reasons for the cause of such a radical improvement in global LED-backlit television supplies. Many sources refer to the increase in commitments among various HDTV manufacturers as the primary cause, while others insist that it was a result of simple consumer demand and awareness of eco-friendly home appliances and power saving tips for the recession. It seems most likely that a fusion of these predictions is the most likely cause, and regardless of the increase in momentum, this is exactly the news that EnergyStar wants to hear.

"Panel makers have been investing heavily in LED chipmakers or have been developing their own internal technologies in order to take advantage of what they believe LED-backlit LCD TVs bring to the table: differentiation, innovation, low power consumption and, of course, the potential to reap the benefits of higher revenues," said Riddhi Patel, principal analyst for TV systems at iSuppli.

http://www.fudzilla.com/images/stories/2009/December/General%20News/led-backlit_lcd_shipments.jpg

iSuppli forecasts that global shipments LED-backlit LCD-TV 40-inches and larger (http://www.isuppli.com/Pages/L2_TVSystems.aspx?PR) in size will expand to 112.1 million units by 2013, rising at a whopping Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 405 percent from a mere 34,000 units in 2008. While this may be great news for environmentalists, there are still several challenges preventing mass consumer adoption at this point. For instance, short LED lifetimes and thermal issues have always remained open for debate, while other factors include a fragmented supply chain and inadequate component supply. Finally, there is the fact that LED-backlit LCDs are still priced far higher than CCFL-based LCDs.

While the eventual economic balance between consumers and producers for LED-backlit consumption remains to be seen, there is always the possibility of government intervention. iSuppli predicts that stringent government policies are continually pushing HDTV manufacturers to adopt environmentally-friendly backlighting technologies that consume less electricity. This is the most widely accepted cause for momentum in the market, but it is always important to realize that technology cost must go down in order for government policy to remain effective. Nevertheless, we are looking forward to seeing the latest and greatest LED-backlit LCD HDTV solutions at CES 2010 in one week’s time.
Good news! :D
Can't wait for these to get affordable, too, perhaps not in 2010, though, but still! :up:

Behemot
12-30-2009, 07:32 AM
When would be LED PC monitors affordable? No need for that hype with TV's, 90% of this thing is marketing and you wouldn't ever need 600 Hz or more (the question is, what this parameter in reality means). Only good thing about LED in TV's is lower power consumption.

But LED really matters with PC displays. Where is the hype in LCD mon bussines to press prices down I ask for three years now? I've seen only one model with normal price (LG W2286L) and it's after long time of LED backlight being on market. There are some BenQ and ACER, but who would buy such a crap :yepp:

Serra
12-30-2009, 07:37 AM
Hopefully they'll have the inky blacks problem corrected soon. I'm sure it's fixable, but high quality LED backlit devices still look bad next to high quality regular LCD's when you're not looking at explosions.

saaya
12-30-2009, 07:40 AM
i wonder how long itll take until oled takes over though...

RPGWiZaRD
12-30-2009, 07:46 AM

According to this guy OLED in size of 20"+ will be affordable in 2011! http://hardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1480167 :D

A good read if you wanna laugh @ optimism.

wuttz
12-30-2009, 07:50 AM
does it beat the picture quality of plasma hdtvś?

One_Hertz
12-30-2009, 07:52 AM

I highly, highly doubt it.

Helloworld_98
12-30-2009, 07:53 AM

no but they're a lot thinner (samsung has a 2.6mm thick LED TV) and they use a lot less energy.

Behemot
12-30-2009, 07:54 AM

When you look on today market, 10+ years at least (untill it'd be sold more than LCD's).

I still like CRT's more than LCD's, due to their resolution possibilities. If I had 20M €, I'd buy old manufacturing lines, hire engineers and start making high-quality CRT's 20''+ (real) with integrated RAMDAC :up:

RPGWiZaRD
12-30-2009, 08:00 AM
Personally I prefer plasmas, power consumption is improving, 200W avg for a 42" isn't really that bad and almost the same as for typical non-led LCD TVs of same size. And the price difference is huge too, if we are to make some comparision that makes sense, we have to look at like 1700~1800€ LED LCD vs 1000€ plasma TV, so it takes a while before the lower power consumption makes up for that cost difference.

I would keep an eye on Panasonic's announcement in CES 2010 about their 2010 Plasma lineup because there's huge potential for these to take Plasma tech to the next level having bought Pioneer Kuro patent rights and Panasonic also built a whole new fab for plasma TV production and expect the Plasma TV demand become stronger in 2010, at least I'm excited.

Frank M
12-30-2009, 08:54 AM
*Yawn* :yawn2:
Give us laser displays already... Lower consumption, much higher contrast,
and although it's not mounted on shark heads, it's still friggin' lasers!

To(V)bo Co(V)bo
12-30-2009, 09:07 AM
When would be LED PC monitors affordable? No need for that hype with TV's, 90% of this thing is marketing and you wouldn't ever need 600 Hz or more (the question is, what this parameter in reality means). Only good thing about LED in TV's is lower power consumption.

But LED really matters with PC displays. Where is the hype in LCD mon bussines to press prices down I ask for three years now? I've seen only one model with normal price (LG W2286L) and it's after long time of LED backlight being on market. There are some BenQ and ACER, but who would buy such a crap :yepp:

There are more than you think, I am typing on a samsung XL2370 300$ as we speak. ASUS has a 23" LED for 200$ on the egg. The Dell G2410 is nice also at 270$. LG and ACER both have a few different models too. The thing I like best is the natural white the LED produces compared to ccfl. I never even noticed how yellowish the ccfl was till I got my new sammy. Also the black levels are way better, and light bleed is nearly gone. There still is some bleed but its hardly noticeable.

SkItZo
12-30-2009, 09:16 AM
*Yawn* :yawn2:
Give us laser displays already... Lower consumption, much higher contrast,
and although it's not mounted on shark heads, it's still friggin' lasers!

+1 Been waiting for 40ish inch laser tv's for a few years now :(

Carfax
12-30-2009, 12:03 PM
I got a Samsung LN46B630 46 inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV over the holidays, but I returned it and got a Sharp Aquos 46 inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV instead :D

XSAlliN
12-30-2009, 01:44 PM
I liked the idea of SED, to bad they been canceled... :(

BrowncoatGR
12-30-2009, 02:32 PM
There are some BenQ and ACER, but who would buy such a crap :yepp:

I really don't think BenQ is crap and Acer makes some good monitors for their price. It's a shame Acer's after sales service is beyond terrible.

iddqd
12-30-2009, 03:04 PM
no but they're a lot thinner (samsung has a 2.6mm thick LED TV) and they use a lot less energy.

And produce a lot less heat. Plasmas get really hot, which sucks in summertime.

Rock&Roll
12-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Now if only 120HZ panel production would ramp up as well

drfps
12-30-2009, 03:18 PM
I got a Samsung LN46B630 46 inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV over the holidays, but I returned it and got a Sharp Aquos 46 inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV instead :D

Why? Are you using on your computer too?

I'm only asking because I'm about ready for a new tv. I'm using Sony 1080i it's old (tv). And it's coming down to plasma or led.

Kingcarcas
12-30-2009, 04:03 PM
That's great, but i'm still looking at the 120hz 3D 60/65'' DLPs.

EniGmA1987
12-30-2009, 06:09 PM
When would be LED PC monitors affordable?

There is this one too:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236075&cm_re=LED-_-24-236-075-_-Product

I have one and my friend has one, they are beautiful.

Carfax
12-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Why? Are you using on your computer too?

I'm only asking because I'm about ready for a new tv. I'm using Sony 1080i it's old (tv). And it's coming down to plasma or led.

No I'm not using it for my computer (got a 30 inch LCD monitor), but I sent back the Samsung and got the Sharp because it has much deeper blacks and lower power consumption thanks to it's LED panel.

The Samsung had a DCR of 100,000:1 while the Sharp is around 2,000,000:1..

As for Plasma or LED, I would recommend LED due to no potential burn in..

Manicdan
12-30-2009, 06:41 PM
There is this one too:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236075&cm_re=LED-_-24-236-075-_-Product

thats pretty nice, give me 3 with no bezel and i would be in heaven

Behemot
12-30-2009, 11:38 PM
I really don't think BenQ is crap and Acer makes some good monitors for their price. It's a shame Acer's after sales service is beyond terrible.

I won't risk my money this way. Their price has its origin in low quality components inside the display. I see it every day in school. It's worse there because of many of BenQ, Acer displays and terrible PSU's in PC's used. All theese things are making interferences to power grid. As a result, the monitors last even less. Every month is one being repaired.

There is this one too:

Thanks pal, but I'd appreciate something...closer to me :yepp: Of course they are LED monitors out there somewhere (finally, after so long time)...but I'd like it in Central Europe, too :p:

duploxxx
12-30-2009, 11:44 PM
hmm seen many LED already in sales, way better then LCD but a lot over contrast on some brands. no thx I will stick with my high def Plasma, i don't mind it is a bitter bigger in size and consumes more.

RaV[666]
12-31-2009, 04:36 AM
There are few TN based led lcd monitors out there.However ,are there any IPS models out there which does not cost an arm and a leg ?

wuttz
12-31-2009, 06:11 AM
;4177798']There are few TN based led lcd monitors out there.However ,are there any IPS models out there which does not cost an arm and a leg ?

whats a TN & IPS-based LCD (or LED)? do they have longer life-spans than plasma tvs? thanks! :):):)

BrowncoatGR
12-31-2009, 07:38 AM
whats a TN & IPS-based LCD (or LED)? do they have longer life-spans than plasma tvs? thanks! :):):)

TN, IPS (and it's variants) and MVA(and it's variants) are different panel types used for LCD displays. TN being the most common and lowest quality, MVA is what most TVs are made from afaik and IPS is used in professional monitors were good colour reproduction is required.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD#Types

Pinacolada
12-31-2009, 07:41 AM
;4177798']There are few TN based led lcd monitors out there.However ,are there any IPS models out there which does not cost an arm and a leg ?

Dell U2410 got it and it's awesome

Manicdan
12-31-2009, 07:43 AM
Dell U2410 got it and it's awesome

i think thats just IPS, not LED lit IPS

wuttz
12-31-2009, 08:02 AM
TN, IPS (and it's variants) and MVA(and it's variants) are different panel types used for LCD displays. TN being the most common and lowest quality, MVA is what most TVs are made from afaik and IPS is used in professional monitors were good colour reproduction is required.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD#Types

wow, thanks for the link! i didnt know there were at least five kinds of LCD!
ive been afraid to commit to LCD, having heard of LED.
but ive always preferred the picture of plasma.
power, heat and weight isnt much of a concern for me though.

pretty soon this budget will have to be spent, i just hope i pick the right product! too many choices! :confused::confused::confused:

Hornet331
12-31-2009, 09:28 AM
I liked the idea of SED, to bad they been canceled... :(

Yeah i was also hoping for it... good tech, but struck down by the recession. :(

Decami
12-31-2009, 02:52 PM

and backlight bleeding is non existent, cant believe no one has mentioned that.

Decami
12-31-2009, 03:03 PM
No I'm not using it for my computer (got a 30 inch LCD monitor), but I sent back the Samsung and got the Sharp because it has much deeper blacks and lower power consumption thanks to it's LED panel.

The Samsung had a DCR of 100,000:1 while the Sharp is around 2,000,000:1..

As for Plasma or LED, I would recommend LED due to no potential burn in..

unfortunately thats dynamic contrast and that tech is mostly fail to me, i use it on very little occasion, when the colors on what im watching are very colorful its ok, like football, but mostly for movies its terrible.

I have the 32 inch version Samsung of what you had (red touch of color one, if im not mistaken?) and its amazing looking, sharp tvs are good as well though, but in honest opinion, your right the darks are much more black, but almost thought too black too often.

AndrewZorn
12-31-2009, 03:13 PM
did you expect the popularity of any big electronic item to rise linearly?

XS2K
12-31-2009, 05:24 PM

Nope,the panel homogeneity is still problematic even with led backlight cuz you don't get per pixel LED with current pc monitors.

Carfax
12-31-2009, 06:23 PM
unfortunately thats dynamic contrast and that tech is mostly fail to me, i use it on very little occasion, when the colors on what im watching are very colorful its ok, like football, but mostly for movies its terrible..

Did you calibrate your HDTV? Calibration makes a HUGE difference..

Insofar, the picture quality is incredible; especially with blu-ray movies! :eek:

As for comparison, the Sharp Aquos LED panel has noticeably better IQ than the Samsung, so I'm not disappointed I bought it and returned the Samsung.

iTravis
12-31-2009, 10:26 PM

Insofar, the picture quality is incredible; especially with blu-ray movies! :eek:

As for comparison, the Sharp Aquos LED panel has noticeably better IQ than the Samsung, so I'm not disappointed I bought it and returned the Samsung.

+1, I just go to the forum and ask people for a good setting for specific model and follow from there, makes a decent different in term of color. What do you use to calibrate? Software, hardware....?

Dainas
12-31-2009, 11:25 PM
There is this one too:

I'd gladly pay an extra $100 for that not to be a horrid TN panel.

Carfax
01-01-2010, 02:03 PM
+1, I just go to the forum and ask people for a good setting for specific model and follow from there, makes a decent different in term of color. What do you use to calibrate? Software, hardware....?

I used this program (http://www.amazon.com/Spears-Munsil-High-Definition-Benchmark-Blu-ray/dp/B001UM29OC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1262383080&sr=8-1), which is specifically tailored for blu ray set ups and comes with a blue filter..

Not as good as ISF or a good hardware calibrator perhaps, but it's definitely a great improvement over default.

grimREEFER
01-01-2010, 02:40 PM

it can arguably match it, look at the samsung 8500 series

RPGWiZaRD
01-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Yea but that series is also like 2x the cost of good plasma HDTVs available atm.

iboomalot
01-01-2010, 06:42 PM
2,000,000:1 contrast ratio LMAO if you believe that spec is real I have some land to sell you.

SED would have rocked

Laser DLP is nice

LCD are improving just too slowly.

Carfax
01-01-2010, 08:16 PM
2,000,000:1 contrast ratio LMAO if you believe that spec is real I have some land to sell you..

It's dynamic contrast ratio, and who cares whether it's real or not.

The blacks on my LED are nearly pitch black, and thats all that matters.

Significantly darker than my Samsung LCD monitor, and that has good contrast ratio for an LCD.

STaRGaZeR
01-01-2010, 08:24 PM
How about making some 120Hz LED monitors instead of 60Hz crap?

Kallenator
01-01-2010, 08:26 PM

Like mentioned from a previous user, this still is a problem. And really backlight bleed is not a problem of any measure on "last gen" CCFL equipped screens. I have had a Samsung A656, zero bleed and I am really picky. However the black levels are horrible with CCFL, calibrated*
This is where I consider LED to have its one and almost only advantage. Cause lets be honest, who really sets tv thickness and power consumption over image quality? Maybe your wife, but not you.
However, to achieve this it really needs to be a LED matrix solution (Local dimming and true black levels), which gets beaten down hard by the cheap edge LED.

It's dynamic contrast ratio, and who cares whether it's real or not.

The blacks on my LED are nearly pitch black, and thats all that matters.

Significantly darker than my Samsung LCD monitor, and that has good contrast ratio for an LCD.

You must elaborate on product names =)

Nicksterr
01-01-2010, 08:59 PM
WTB a 120hz LED backlit monitor from Samsung...the 2233RZ has been pulled from just about every retailer/etailer so I'm assuming that something is coming to replace it.

LedHed
01-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Good, I'm glad I held out on buying a TV, my FP241W will suit me till then.

Carfax
01-02-2010, 05:58 AM
You must elaborate on product names =)

I already mentioned the products :p Well, not my LCD monitor, but thats in the sig.

Sharp Aquos 46inch LED 120hz
Samsung 305T Plus

Kallenator
01-02-2010, 07:03 AM
Ah, damn :p:

I have always found our LCD monitors to exhibit terrible black levels.

Btw, your edge LED tv is no better than an older CCFL from Samsung or Sony when measuring ANSI black level. Your scores around 0.07cd/m^2, while the "old" Samsung A656 and the Sony equivalent W4000 scores around 0.05cd/m^2.

STaRGaZeR
01-02-2010, 07:48 AM
WTB a 120hz LED backlit monitor from Samsung...the 2233RZ has been pulled from just about every retailer/etailer so I'm assuming that something is coming to replace it.

That doesn't mean it's a LED monitor... and with a good panel. The only good thing in the 2233RZ is that it supports 120Hz. Everything else sucks. I'd pay a lot for a PVA or IPS panel+LED+120Hz, and if it's possible 21,5" 1080p.

Nicksterr
01-02-2010, 10:21 AM
That doesn't mean it's a LED monitor... and with a good panel. The only good thing in the 2233RZ is that it supports 120Hz. Everything else sucks. I'd pay a lot for a PVA or IPS panel+LED+120Hz, and if it's possible 21,5" 1080p.

I don't really need anything more than a TN panel...I've never had a problem with any of mine in the past and they work/look just fine for movies and games in my experience. The only thing I could do without is backlight bleeding but it's a minute issue to me. I want a direct replacement of the 2233rz as anything bigger than 22" isn't ideal for competitive gaming, as well as a resolution of 1680x1050. Also being as the 2233rz started off at $400...what you want would be much higher...I doubt they will come out will something like that to begin with.

Decami
01-02-2010, 10:46 AM

of coarse, i calibrate every tv.

Carfax
01-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Btw, your edge LED tv is no better than an older CCFL from Samsung or Sony when measuring ANSI black level. Your scores around 0.07cd/m^2, while the "old" Samsung A656 and the Sony equivalent W4000 scores around 0.05cd/m^2.

Were you referring to me?

Because the Sharp Aquos LED isn't edge lit. It's full array.

I have no idea of the actual measurements, but I don't care, because I can see that the black levels are nearly pitch black with my own eyes.

STaRGaZeR
01-02-2010, 11:26 AM
I don't really need anything more than a TN panel...I've never had a problem with any of mine in the past and they work/look just fine for movies and games in my experience. The only thing I could do without is backlight bleeding but it's a minute issue to me. I want a direct replacement of the 2233rz as anything bigger than 22" isn't ideal for competitive gaming, as well as a resolution of 1680x1050. Also being as the 2233rz started off at $400...what you want would be much higher...I doubt they will come out will something like that to begin with.

I know, I also thought TN panels were good enough for my standards until I bought this 2233RZ... man the colors are just terrible. The 120Hz Viewsonic (I think it uses the same panel) is way better, but now TN just doesn't cut it. All monitors will end up being 120Hz because of the 3D stuff, it's just a matter of time until good panels and LED backlighting make their way to affordable monitors. I hope CES will bring some interesting news in this area.

To(V)bo Co(V)bo
01-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Like I was saying before, I own a Samsung XL2370 LED monitor. I am using it right now, its really nice. I would say it is a nice improvement over current TN panels with CCFL. Backlight bleed is almost gone, there still is some in the corners due to light overlapping from the LEDs. Overall the colors are great, blacks are very deep (almost too dark honestly). The biggest advantage is the pure white the LED emits. White is perfect on this monitor and colors are rich, compared to a CCFL panel you can see that white is more yellowish. This monitor is also super bright, 370cd/m2, it is listed wrong in specs. I think my panel is almost crt quality, minus the viewing angle. That is the only real issue with it, viewing angle. It also has minimal ghosting and almost zero input lag. I think it is a compramise of features. You give up viewing angle but also get speed and no lag. Its a perfect gaming monitor with great colors and contrast.

Eastcoasthandle
01-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Hmm, I wonder if all LED monitors will come on cheap panels that will only do up to 1080p. But marketed based on pointless features at premium that was once reserved for true 24" monitors offering 1920x1200. Only time will tell. :p:

Meizuman
01-02-2010, 02:01 PM

I'd say that OLED has one hell of a crisp image and the contrast is nothing to laugh at... Because there is no backlight... OLED's black doesnt need light. Plus that, the viewing angle is limited only by the edges of the screen itself! (bezels coming on the way :p: )

I only have a small experience of it, Benq-Siemens S88 cell phone has a AUO OLED display and that thing is marvellous (for the price). Only bad thing was the irritating heavy ghosting effect, the white texts would show when the image on the screen changed. But that is due the screen being old tech, one of the first cell OLED's. I think. That cell costed about 130€ 3 years ago. Since this cell has a fine 2MP AF camera, I can't understand why digital cameras still rely on tft lcd, OLED kicks ass! Especially in mobile or education purposes. The viewing angle, that is what I want!

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php
^JUST TRY THIS AND CRY^

(at least if you're on TN)

metachronos
01-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Where's my 1080p 120hz led-baclit IPS panel with a load of inputs and a super-thin(1/16" or 1/32") bezel?

iddqd
01-02-2010, 03:30 PM
by the way, according to that chart they'll be rising linearly.

Jamesrt2004
01-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Fail. Its fake led tv's. Bring on panasonics new line please! Hell i think they will be showcasing an oled at ces. Lol at the guy who thinks plasmas still have burn in...

Carfax
01-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Lol at the guy who thinks plasmas still have burn in...

Are you saying that Plasmas have no burn in whatsoever these days?

rintamarotta
01-02-2010, 09:45 PM

They have been developed so far that its hard to get Plasma to burn image on them, havent seen any burn's on my HD Plasma even tough its in MediaCenter PC use.

xytrius
01-03-2010, 06:12 AM

Plasma panels from major manufacturers have not had burn in for the past couple of years.

Attempts by the HD Guru to create “”burn-in”" (uneven phosphor wear) on 2008 and 2009 model year plasma panels by freeze-framing an image for 10 hours and then switching to a white screen have been unsuccessful. No “burn-in” occurred. We also checked out demo plasma HDTVs at retail stores and found no “”burn-in”" on any of the models tested. This is particularly significant since floor models are traditionally set to “showroom” mode (usually listed in the user menu as Dynamic or Vivid) in order to produce maximum brightness.

Source: http://hdguru.com/plasma-tv-burn-in-fact-or-myth/826/

AndrewZorn
01-03-2010, 06:49 AM
that is what i wanted to believe too. a quick trip over to AVS forums will show that short and long term image rentention / burn-in is still an issue. i would like a plasma so bad, but do not want to have to baby and care for my TV.

EDIT after skimming the article, let me elaborate.
they make it sound like you would have to leave a white square on your TV for a week to see any sort of burn in. i understand where he is coming from, but he is wrong. prime example: 4:3 or 21:9 content. if your favorite channel is not available in widescreen, the edges of the screen are being used much less and thus you will likely encounter black lines at the 4:3 mark. a lot of movies are filmed in 2.xx:1, not 1.85:1 (16:9), so even with that matching bluray player you are not totally safe from formatting black bars causing uneven wear.

RaV[666]
01-03-2010, 10:52 AM
I have 2007 Panasonic plasma screen, low end one at that.G10 1024x720 model.Its true that when i watch 4:3 content for long, it leaves a slight ghost of 4:3 square on the 16:9 display.HOWEVER, if i turn on white noise for a slight time ,then let the tv cool off.It disappears.I have this tv for 2 years.Played games with static image elements on the, watched a lot of tv with stations logos, watched a lot of not 100% panel covering content on it.No PERMAMENT burn in occured.And thats pretty old panel type by now.I mean yea, LCDs dont require this slight and very non-tiring amount of attention.However pretty much everything else about picture quality is worse.Just my 2 cents.

LedHed
01-03-2010, 11:23 AM

competitive gaming is centered around 24" screens, that is what every major LAN doesn't allow any bigger.

Kallenator
01-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Were you referring to me?

Because the Sharp Aquos LED isn't edge lit. It's full array.

I have no idea of the actual measurements, but I don't care, because I can see that the black levels are nearly pitch black with my own eyes.

Ah damn, how I hate product names sometimes!

Was only trying to make a point against edge LED.

Awesome screen btw ;)
(As long as it has local dimming and is able to turn the LED's entirely off, its true black baby!)

Carfax
01-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Ah damn, how I hate product names sometimes!

Was only trying to make a point against edge LED.

Awesome screen btw ;)
(As long as it has local dimming and is able to turn the LED's entirely off, its true black baby!)

I just checked, and the Sharp LEDs don't have local dimming.

Sharp instead use a proprietary X-Gen panel with 10 bit processing that eliminates the need for local dimming somehow..

Here's an article about it (http://gizmodo.com/5309570/sharp-aquos-le700-led-tvs-go-mainstream-but-wheres-the-local-dimming)..

Like I said before, judging by my own eyes, the Sharp LED's blacks are black as sin, so no worries there :up:

Dainas
01-03-2010, 10:22 PM
I know, I also thought TN panels were good enough for my standards until I bought this 2233RZ... man the colors are just terrible. The 120Hz Viewsonic (I think it uses the same panel) is way better, but now TN just doesn't cut it. All monitors will end up being 120Hz because of the 3D stuff, it's just a matter of time until good panels and LED backlighting make their way to affordable monitors. I hope CES will bring some interesting news in this area.

Amen to that, I'm sick of this -I'm colorblind/ignorant so therefor its good enough for me attitude-. TN has got to go for good as the outdated relic it is, it honestly is an intermediary step between black and white LCD and true color. Sorry but no display should invert nor be stuck in 16bit color!

bro20000
01-06-2010, 01:34 AM
Have got a dell G2410 coming today are they anygood to replace my Samsung Syncmaster 913n!

bro20000
01-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Well impressed with the Dell G2410 amazing for games and movies! Am amazed at how good this is for such a small price!

Power5
01-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Ya, well I got a 82" DLP. My PIP is bigger than your LED LCD TV. :)

bro20000
01-06-2010, 01:16 PM
god that to big!

XS2K
01-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Amen to that, I'm sick of this -I'm colorblind/ignorant so therefor its good enough for me attitude-. TN has got to go for good as the outdated relic it is, it honestly is an intermediary step between black and white LCD and true color. Sorry but no display should invert nor be stuck in 16bit color!

You are toooo harsh/ignorant on your comments,some *PVA panels have bigger color accuracy problems and also display a smaller level of black than a TN.You have to take into consideration the tech that's driving the panel cuz if it wouldn't been for it all LCD's with the same panel would show exactly the same IQ.I think the reason why so many people think that TN is crap is because it's used in low end models which suffer from a bad build quality and poorly integrated tech/old tech and not because they know the specs of the panel.But there are some good TN's and because they are cheap to produce and about the fastest as far as response time is concerned it's normal to see them being at the forefront of new tech integration targeted for the gaming market.
And yes,the viewing angles of TN suck,I know that but you get color shift in smaller angle gradation with some S-PVA's like my Dell 2407WFP A04 though most owners are too ignorant to see it since they have a SPVA:slapass: