PDA

View Full Version : Air trapped in apogee GTZ?

afireinside
12-29-2009, 10:40 PM
Just got my new loop together. I've had it running for a few hours now and the block is REALLY loud compared to everything else (HD4850 and 4x yateloons @ 5v). I've moved my pump/rad all over the place and they seem to be air free. I've also moved the case all over in attempt to get air out of the block. Is there some trick to bleeding this thing? Did I orient it wrong? I'm using the correct inlet. It's really driving me nuts...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/zero-IGN/IMG_1728.jpg

Serpentarius
12-29-2009, 10:58 PM
1. turn on/off the pump (pull the serial connector)
2. place the res higher than the cpu block (temporary while ejecting bubbles)

the on/off water pressure can jerk those air bubbles away from the block

Boulard83
12-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Try to nap your case on the side panel ( back of the mobo to the floor ) but youll have to hold your RES to be sure the pump wont pump air back into it.

Waterlogged
12-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Res level within the system in regards to anything but the pump is irrelevant.

Try pinching the tubing leading into the GTZ. If that doesn't work, I have a slightly more radical method if your willing to try it.

afireinside
12-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Try to nap your case on the side panel ( back of the mobo to the floor ) but youll have to hold your RES to be sure the pump wont pump air back into it.

Tried that as well as the above mentioned on/off and no go.

Good call on pinching the tubing, but it didn't help. What's the more radical approach? :D

Waterlogged
12-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Tried that as well as the above mentioned on/off and no go.

Good call on pinching the tubing, but it didn't help. What's the more radical approach? :D

It involves moving the pins in the Molex. Try running it a 7V for a short while (I'm thinking you should see results within 10 min) by moving the black wire to where the red one should be. If that doesn't work, drop it to a full 5V by moving the black back to where it was and the yellow to the red and repeat. Unless it's a mutant DDC, it should start as both I and another member were able to run our DDC's @ 5V.

I do not recommend running at those voltages for long periods though as the pump may get a bit flaky.

If this method fails, the only thing that I believe will fix the problem then is to take the block apart and find a way to keep the small piece inside the block on the inlet side from rattling as that is the only other thing that could be making the noise.

afireinside
12-30-2009, 12:20 AM
Great... I did notice something rattle when I had it apart, but when I fully tightened the hex bolts down it ceased. That's probably what it is. The noise goes away if I pinch the tubes like you suggested.

Speaking of the hex bolts, I believe they were supposed to by 7/64" but seemed just a hair smaller. Three of them went fine but I'm pretty sure one of them is stripped. I'm VERY disappointed with swiftech between that and their pathetic excuse for an AM2 mounting kit.

afireinside
01-08-2010, 04:47 AM
So I emailed Swiftech about the hex bolts and they answered + shipped me new bolts and a wrench in one business day. Nice! :up:

Well tonight while gaming I noticed the sound of air bubbles going through my pump. Decided now would be a good time to reassemble the block (which I did properly) and bleed the loop again. I STILL can not get rid of the sound of rushing water + air bubbles in the waterblock and it's driving me nuts. I was ecstatic to be back on water and have good CPU temps but I'm about to put my TRUE back on :mad: I've moved my rad/pump/res/block (unmounted block) all over the place at different angles and heights and nothing.

faster3200
01-08-2010, 07:48 AM
In the pic it doesn't look like your res is filled all that much. If the water level drops below a certain point air can start getting sucked in.

afireinside
01-08-2010, 11:05 AM
In the pic it doesn't look like your res is filled all that much. If the water level drops below a certain point air can start getting sucked in.

I've since filled it all the way.

95blackz26
01-08-2010, 11:17 AM
what kind of temps are you getting idle/load.

H2O
01-08-2010, 11:20 AM
The other thing you can do is unmount your CPU block and move it around, shake it etc. while running the pump. Then remount the block.

ahmad
01-08-2010, 11:53 AM
your res is so low in your loop. I am a noob, but to me it looks like your pump is suffocating :shrug:

4ddiction
01-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Nawh it shouldnt really be a problem

afireinside
01-08-2010, 12:43 PM
what kind of temps are you getting idle/load.

Like 50C load, pretty good.

The other thing you can do is unmount your CPU block and move it around, shake it etc. while running the pump. Then remount the block.

Already did.

your res is so low in your loop. I am a noob, but to me it looks like your pump is suffocating :shrug:

DDC inlet is on top, and it's a closed loop. Doesn't matter.

I need to learn to leave well enough alone. I've remounted 4 times using various methods and my temps are worse than before. Idle is sporadic and load seems to have gone up a few C. Of course it still sounds like there is air in the loop but I can not get any more to come out.

Jellymonster
03-17-2010, 06:01 AM
Yeah I have the same issue. I've had my rig running for about 2 months now, when I first set it up, the rattling was really bad. I read around, asked people, taken it apart and everything. But it still rattled.

Now, after 2 months the rattle is nearly unnoticeable. You get a faint rattle now and then but nothing like how it used to be.

I think it's just tiny bubbles hitting the copper =S

Are you still having this issue?

JM