PDA

View Full Version : Quitting

06F150fx4
12-29-2009, 07:46 PM
I've decided to give this up, at least for now. I'm giving up all of my distributed computing projects and getting rid of quite a few machines. I spent entirely too much time worrying about these things. Plus, I'm having rely on the wife which isn't fair to her.

And probably the real reason, is it's allowing me to spend this money on other hobbies. It's time to redo the home theater. :rofl:

PoppaGeek
12-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Understandable. It is easy to get too enthused about all this. I am at the point of trying to decide where I need to stop adding. It is too bad you feel the need to stop completely. Maybe cutting back would accomplish the same goal??

Whatever you decide I hope you can find your way to doing something. It is a nice contribution to making life better for others. Whatever you decide thanks for the contribution you have made! :clap:

road-runner
12-29-2009, 09:11 PM
I know the feeling, I had to cut down myself, sold almost all my 775 stuff, I keep catching myself wanting to drive to Houston for another $199 i7 920 though. I have to keep reminding myself I have enough computers...

Otis11
12-29-2009, 10:55 PM
Yeah man, I know what you mean. This can be addicting. (Fortunately I have no money anyway :p:)

The only thing I would say is maybe leave it on the machines you really do use for viable purposes and just don't have any dedicated stuff?

Whatever you do, my best wishes go out to you man! Check back and say hi will ya!?!

Thanks for the help!

Snow Crash
12-30-2009, 06:35 AM
Corey,

What you decide for you and you family I am sure is for the best. I'm sorry to see you go and have a feeling you might be back with at least one rig once fermi is out :cool: We all thank you for helping the cause and will miss you. Like Otis said, stop by every now and then to say hi.

Steve

p.s. maybe change the thread title to "retiring" because we all know you persevered through quite a bit and always kept crunching and this feels like more than you just up and quitting :clap:

INFRNL
01-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Sorry to see you go, but understand at the same time. all the projects we do gets very addicting and can easily get us in trouble. Along with the new misc issues. It now seems to become high maintenence to keep everything running constantly.

I have been having various issues lately and it drives me nuts. I have slowly been downclocking my cards a little to help keep them running. I think as some have said; sometimes its better to keep them stock or close to, just to keep them running. It also seems that whenever I make bigger changes to all my systems, I start to have more problems.

I am very close to my limits I think because these gpu's suck up so much juice and I have also though about selling most of my gpu's just to run off my cpu's; save a lot of money and heartache.

Hope to see you back in the near future or just around the forums. Don't be a stranger

06F150fx4
01-15-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm still around. I just quit producing. You would not belive how much time I have when I'm not stressing about PC stuff.

vaio
01-16-2010, 01:10 AM
Taking back your life eh?

Enjoy the stree-free leisure time :)

Snow Crash
01-16-2010, 03:16 AM
I'm still around. I just quit producing. You would not belive how much time I have when I'm not stressing about PC stuff.
Good to hear from you!
IIRC you will be home fairly soonish?
I bet that will help make you a happy camper.
Thanks again for everything you have done for us:up:

vaio
01-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Hmmm, starting to think along the same lines.
Think I will retire at 20 million Boinc.....if my existing hardware lasts that long.

Time for some "me" time.....after 5 years of dc addiction :D

Get back to my hi-fi hobby.......just bought some nice 'phones to drown out 24/7 fan noise :)

vaio
01-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Database at this place needs an XtremeSystem :rolleyes:

MikeB12
01-18-2010, 12:08 PM
I've never really gone gungho on this stuff anyway. just 3 machines in my house (mine, a htpc, and another I keep in a spare bedroom as a guest pc for the kids to play games on) and they either fold, wcg, or gpugrid when I or someone else is not using them. one thing I like about boinc is it pretty much runs itself unlike my fah smp and gpu experiences.. sure, you can stress yourself out over gpugrid errors. but you can also be like me and just not look at it. LOL! and let it do it's thing in the background.

though I did just buy a used gtx285, but I'm gonna sell my 2 gts250's to recoup 75% of the money.

06F150fx4
01-18-2010, 08:38 PM
Hmmm, starting to think along the same lines.
Think I will retire at 20 million Boinc.....if my existing hardware lasts that long.

Time for some "me" time.....after 5 years of dc addiction :D

Get back to my hi-fi hobby.......just bought some nice 'phones to drown out 24/7 fan noise :)

That's pretty much what I was going for. My wife insisted though, that if I'm getting a 2 channel setup, then just replace everything in the home theater as well. So, I bought a 7 channel Jamo speaker package, and a Cambridge Audio azur 640r receiver. Add that into the cost of redoing my HTPC(including the onkyo sound card), all told I spent close to 4500. It's a much better investment though than a PC though. My previous home theater system lasted about 8 years and only left because the wife didn't like JBL studio monitors.

06F150fx4
01-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Good to hear from you!
IIRC you will be home fairly soonish?
I bet that will help make you a happy camper.
Thanks again for everything you have done for us:up:

Yup. Just a few more weeks left. I am so ready to get home... You have no idea. The wife is in for a rough few days when I get back. :rofl:

06F150fx4
01-18-2010, 08:49 PM
I've never really gone gungho on this stuff anyway. just 3 machines in my house (mine, a htpc, and another I keep in a spare bedroom as a guest pc for the kids to play games on) and they either fold, wcg, or gpugrid when I or someone else is not using them. one thing I like about boinc is it pretty much runs itself unlike my fah smp and gpu experiences.. sure, you can stress yourself out over gpugrid errors. but you can also be like me and just not look at it. LOL! and let it do it's thing in the background.

though I did just buy a used gtx285, but I'm gonna sell my 2 gts250's to recoup 75% of the money.

My problem is, I have an obsessive/addictive personality. If I have an interest, I research it into the ground. PC's are fun because the game is constantly changing, which helps feed my need for more knowledge. The problem is, It eventually becomes pretty time consuming.

I am sending my dad a phenom 9950/4 gigs of ram/ pair of 8800gt's. He will set them up and carry on where I left off. I fear though, he is almost as obsessive as I am. My mom, isn't to happy I got him started on this, but oh well. He already does WCG on his 2 current machines. I may dedicate a portion of my quad socketsystem to WCG when I get back. I may even throw a single video card back on GPUgrid. But, it's going to be a set it and forget it type thing.

PoppaGeek
01-18-2010, 09:42 PM
My problem is, I have an obsessive/addictive personality. If I have an interest, I research it into the ground. PC's are fun because the game is constantly changing, which helps feed my need for more knowledge. The problem is, It eventually becomes pretty time consuming.

I am sending my dad a phenom 9950/4 gigs of ram/ pair of 8800gt's. He will set them up and carry on where I left off. I fear though, he is almost as obsessive as I am. My mom, isn't to happy I got him started on this, but oh well. He already does WCG on his 2 current machines. I may dedicate a portion of my quad socketsystem to WCG when I get back. I may even throw a single video card back on GPUgrid. But, it's going to be a set it and forget it type thing.

That does not make ya special around here! :rofl:

I have to watch myself because I could take this hobby way too far. At 58 I have learned how to balance things a LITTLE better. Also a little over a long period of time mounts up to alot more than ya might imagine.

Anyway, ya gotta do what is right for you and family. Thanks for what you have done! :up:

06F150fx4
01-18-2010, 10:28 PM
That does not make ya special around here! :rofl:

I have to watch myself because I could take this hobby way too far. At 58 I have learned how to balance things a LITTLE better. Also a little over a long period of time mounts up to alot more than ya might imagine.

Anyway, ya gotta do what is right for you and family. Thanks for what you have done! :up:

Oh I know. I've looked at some of the accomplishments and insane systems on this place. It creates another problem, I start to think that it's normal to have a farm of 8 pc's crunching numbers. Being in the miltary, I just don't have the time and money to do it anymore...not in the capacity that I have been at least.

BTW, on a non related note, my dad is pretty close to your age.

Also, I was never trying to throw my wife under the bus. She has been great through tis whole thing and put up with a lot more than most wives. She isn't forcing me to quit. It was a decision I made so I can quit driving her nuts, and get my life pointed in a little bit better of a direction. I have my own health to worry about. Instead of crunching, I should be doing crunches. Maybe though, there is time for both.