PDA

View Full Version : choosing the right size Res

disturbed13
12-28-2009, 02:16 PM
how do you guys choose which res to go with?
like an 80mm, 120, ect how do you choose?
thats the one thing that im stuck on

atomic ferret
12-28-2009, 02:51 PM
The size of the res doesn't make any difference.

bundymania
12-28-2009, 03:02 PM
bigger res. have less probs with air bubbles, when using a powerfull pump, or you sometimes need an anti cyclon. I would recommend a 15er res. or bigger for an midi/bigtower case. If there is not much space to mount, you can use the swiftech micro res for example, that res. is small and high flow "compatible"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaYKhwueRRg&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djh6sYEXgSY

zads
12-28-2009, 03:03 PM
The size of the res doesn't make any difference.

Yeah what he said, just pick whatever fits/looks best in your case.
There isn't any real difference unless you get one that leaks or one that might have a fitting compatibility issue (such as big compression fittings being to close together).

skinnee
12-28-2009, 03:13 PM
bundy does have a point, larger res means less problems filling and bleeding. There are a lot of different factors you can consider, but I wouldn't worry about the reservoir holding a certain volume in order to be proper though.

Serpentarius
12-28-2009, 05:46 PM
take note not to res which is too small to clean .... there are some res which are pain in the arse to clean
especially some deadend corners which neither earbuds nor cloth which reaches it

Osterman
12-28-2009, 06:40 PM
So we can conclude that no matter the size, the result is the same, isn't it?

Because for me, having a big reservoir full of coolant is useless and worst if it is the coolant that came from the rad is the one which ends into de res. As far as I have understood, is better to have the coolant running through the system as much as possible, or not?

For example I have a 250ml res, which I dont think is pretty BIG, I thinks is the perfect fit or a 150ml one would be great so...
For sure that is what I know and I understood from all I have read.

millertime359
12-28-2009, 07:04 PM
The res' main purpose is in filling and bleeding. Once that is all done, the res really doesn't matter.

As bundy said, a bigger res is nice as it makes bleeding a bit easier, but just get what fits in your case and satisfies your tastes. :)

Osterman
12-28-2009, 09:13 PM
Sometimes there are things so simple inside of a field full of care, attention, details and all that stuff. So when someone says:
but just get what fits in your case and satisfies your tastes. :)
You just can't believe it :p

Thanks, I found this thread usefull.
Thanks as always miller.

tool_462
12-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Keep in mind you don't have to use a res if you don't want to :) I go with a minimalistic approach and just use a T-Line, place it well in the loop and bleeding takes only a few minutes.