PDA

View Full Version : BIOS update

kylepaddock
12-27-2009, 12:14 PM
I have a Palit 9800GT Super+ 1GB. How can I update the BIOS version of the card? Is it included in the download update from NVIDIA?

nkresho
12-27-2009, 01:13 PM
It doesn't really work like that. The only reason you would update a video card's bios would be for higher clocks. Bios's don't get updates, allowing more features, (like mobos) typically. The flash you have is based on the hardware of the card. For instance, a superclocked card would have a slightly different bios than a vanilla clocked card or a FTW version.

For info, if you do decide, check out http://www.mvktech.net/

You'd need a computer with a floppy disk to run nvflash to backup your bios, then you have to find a compatible one, then flash in dos using nvflash as well. Nibitor is another program capable of allowing you to view and change bios settings such as clock speeds, memory timings (don't change these), and fan speeds.

It's fairly risky, so if not needed, I recommend you stick with what you have and overclock using software means. Hate to have you brick your card nnecessarily.

For these programs, looking on mvk, make sure you "sory by date added" or whatever they call it, so you dl the newest version.

But, remember, these aren't for the faint of heart (those uncomfortable in dos....a:\)

You'd be 10x more likely, IMO, to need to flash the bios of a mobo than a gpu.