PDA

View Full Version : Is something wron g with the SIS 648

drunkenmaster
08-14-2002, 11:06 AM
i was thinking of picking one up as soon as they arrive in UK about 2 weeks. I read reviews which seemed to say they were good but am now hearing from a few people that they suck big time, overclocking wise.

Anyone know where this info came from?? Is it true. If so then which chipset really does give the best performance?

Also on the abit site it has as compatibility testing which Cpus will work with the IT7 and it list a 1.73Ghz 533Mhz bus chip. Is this out yet, will it be out soon? I'm guessing that this will clock pretty well, be cheap and bet very, very high bandwidth.

Hugo 59
08-14-2002, 07:23 PM
From what I have read about the boards they seem to be higher performing boards then just about anything out there.

The problem with overclocking it is there is no pci/agp bus lock. Everytime you raise you're fsb you will be raising your agp and pci bus.

The intel based boards have locks so that you can keep raising your fsb but lock into a pci/agp bus speed, which will let you get a better oc. Due to the fact that your pci/agp bus is not being pulled way out of spec.

JCviggen
08-15-2002, 12:37 AM
The problem with SiS is that their max FSB sucks ass. The northbridges cant handle high freqs. There will be no 1.73 made. Anything below 2.0 is slowly bing fased out anyway, the 1.8A wont last very long. Besides, a 1.73 would have a 13x multiplier. You would need 200 FSB to get to even 2.6 GHz. Pretty useless.

usually the max FSB is 150-160 on a SiS, so there's no real need of an AGP/PCI lock anyway