PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex: Invisible War is great!

hedge
12-09-2003, 09:22 AM
Ok, I broke down and purchased a couple copies of this game. One for my friend for christmas, the other for me. :D

From my first impressions of the game from the demo, I was a little concerned about something going wrong with this series. Let me be the first to say this game is still as good as the first. Ion Storm removed some of the complexity from certain aspects of the game like the biomods. The biomods can now be installed by you where as in the first, you would have to find a bot to do it. There are no biomods that increase your accurace (however it is spelled). I think this is a good thing, I mean think about it, you are a bad "A" enhanced killing machine and yet would couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in the first one until you picked up a purchased an upgrade.

Graphically the game is beatiful, however, you will pay a price for that beauty in framerate. You need a beefy system to run this game at 1024x768 with high details and high shadows. Speaking of the shadows, real-time shadows are the bomb in sneaking games. It is easier to hide and also easier to see people approaching you.

The story gets off to a good start with the facility you have been moved to (after a terrorist attack detroyed your previous home) is under attack. A conspiracy is laid out to you by one of your fellow trainees and at that moment and for the rest of the game, you are given choiced on what to believe and what not to believe (will it be the blue pill or the red pill?). Sorry, I couldn't resist that.

Bottom line, this game is good. Definately worth buying. It doesn't have everything that the original had, think of it as the original with a little weight loss. Change can be and is good. You won't be dissapointed.

cowpuppy
12-09-2003, 05:40 PM
It's out. I can't wait to pick up a copy. I must have played the 1st one 3 or 4 times.

hedge
12-09-2003, 06:26 PM
The best part is that with that system of yours, you will get to see it in all of it's glory. ;)

JToolz
12-16-2003, 03:10 PM
Yea the game rocks. I acquired a copy and its just amazing.

Charles Wirth
12-16-2003, 05:37 PM
Bee line to Fry's, been waiting for this game.

Devastation is pretty for for $20 game. no problems finishing the game. took about 20 hours

cowpuppy
12-20-2003, 08:46 AM
I'm off to go get my copy of Invisible War. Picking it up from Electronics Boutiqe and I have a gift certificate for 20.00 :banana: Can't wait to try this game out.

hedge
12-20-2003, 08:15 PM
I just finished the game 2 days ago. Abosutely fabulous. Instead of 3 choice at the end, you have 4 choice with totally different ending resulting from each choice.

cowpuppy
12-20-2003, 09:17 PM
Does any one have any rendering problems or is it just me. There seems to be square dots mostly on peoples faces and some hard lines like stairways. I tried loading the latest CAT's with out any help. No OC on the vid card and I'm only running on a 225x11 bus so I dont think I'm stressin the cpu to much.

Graphics could be better, not so good job on the blood. Reminds me of Tomb Raider AOD. Ok but not that good. What happened to head shots kill? Seems like there's a lot of jaggies to with AA set at 4x and Af at 8x

I hope Doom and 1/2 life do a better job of thier final product

cowpuppy
12-21-2003, 01:58 PM
The rendering problems seem to have been related to the blooming option in the video settings and all is well now. Seams that only the sniper rifle takes anyone down with a head shot. You wouldn't think it would take 20 shots to the head from a smg to take a guy down.

The game is good, I was just mad at the rendering problems that started of my day. This option should have been disabled on install if it's an ATI related problem.

hedge
12-22-2003, 08:11 PM
Which drivers are you using? Are you using the cat. 3.8 drivers? Ion storm said in their readme that their were problems with those drivers that they couldn't fix.

LikwidKool
12-27-2003, 01:35 AM
game is great I must say. I just find it a bit tough. Guess I am just to used to fps. I was getting tired of how dumb down they are I wanted to try out a thinking mans game. Also runs real nice at my current Oc of 295x12 and Vc of 410/350. Frames only dip to about 27 at times but no choppiness and res is at 1024/768.

LikwidKool
12-27-2003, 01:45 AM
btw anyone have really long load times between "levels"? Like when I go from the inclinator to the lower slums, it takes over a minute to load everything up. I am thinking a gig of ram would help but I tried 2 diff kinds of bh-5 at the same time last night and my pc wouldn't boot. I am stuck with 2x256 for now.

Death ++
12-27-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by LikwidKool
btw anyone have really long load times between "levels"? Like when I go from the inclinator to the lower slums, it takes over a minute to load everything up. I am thinking a gig of ram would help but I tried 2 diff kinds of bh-5 at the same time last night and my pc wouldn't boot. I am stuck with 2x256 for now.

i have a gig and sometimes get that problem. sometimes it wont load and i gotta restart the comp. othertimes it crashes to the desktop and stops reading the cd and i do a manual reboot otherwise it would just freeze. one time i went to go to a new map and it wouldnt go anywhere. it would ask me if i wanted to go and id click ok and it leave me there.

just a couple bugs ive had with it. dont get me wrong i love the game with a passion. im addicted. havent been to the forums much because of the game. only time i havent been playing is when im at work or asleep (which is more now because of the holidays). can't wait til i get some days off so i can get further and beat it :D

cowpuppy
12-27-2003, 10:21 PM
I have to say I had the same loading problems as you guy's. guess it's a bug in the game. I finished the game a few days ago and will probably play it again shortly.
I must be in dire need of a new mb/cpu cause these new games run a little slow on my system with all the options enabled and I want to be ready for 1/2 life and Doom 3. You wouldn't think a barton OCed to 2.6 on 226fsb would run choppy with a 9800XT

hedge
01-01-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Death ++
i have a gig and sometimes get that problem. sometimes it wont load and i gotta restart the comp. othertimes it crashes to the desktop and stops reading the cd and i do a manual reboot otherwise it would just freeze. one time i went to go to a new map and it wouldnt go anywhere. it would ask me if i wanted to go and id click ok and it leave me there.

I got that annoying problem with the game not loading too. It has to do with Securom. That is the cd copy protection the game uses. Some bug within securom cause the cd check to hang and you have to reboot to fix the problem.

cowpuppy
01-04-2004, 10:06 PM
While I was over at Eidos getting ready to do some complaining on thier forums about IW I found a patch that is soposed to fix a lot of the bugs that I was *itching about. Now I'm going to start over and enjoy this game.

Get your patch while its hot http://www.eidosinteractive.com/forums/index.html

Direct download http://support.eidosinteractive.com/GI/CustomerSupport/patches/PC/Deus_Ex-_Invisible_War/DXIW_1.1_Patch.exe

hedge
01-07-2004, 11:20 AM
Already got it! :D

Nookie420
01-10-2004, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by JToolz
Yea the game rocks. I acquired a copy and its just amazing.

yeah, i need to acquire a copy of it also. ;)

Charles Wirth
01-10-2004, 03:25 PM
Ok, FYI

This game starts up and says "the way its meant to be played logo by Nvidia" yet the game sucks ass with a 5950U w/ EE + 1GB ram @ 800x600x32 1x sample w/ bloom on. unplayable with 2x sample.

I went to the Nvidia booth (at CES) and was giving them ยงยงยงยง about that BS logo (on des ex startup) and they said "the game was not optimized for Nvidia" and then I asked why the f did you guys put a logo on it like that and they had no reply. It seems Nvidia just stuffed money in the pockets of the makers of the game to get that logo put on despite no actual support for the card and the game.

There are a few games that have issues with the Nvidia card and if the best they can come up with is that the game was not optimized for Nvidia then Nvidia is about to get a wake up call.

Chris Tom from AMDZone was there when I was reaming Nvidia a new one, I am sure he enjoyed the conversation as they danced around pointing fingers at other people.

hedge
01-15-2004, 09:04 PM
LOL

I hated that stupid Nvidia movie clip. I actually edited a file in the game that disabled that movie on the startup.