PDA

View Full Version : is my d5 broken?!

Mabyboi
12-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Its barely sucking and pushing ANY water... like a very small amount is coming out at the top of my res... the blocks i have are in my sig. and i have 1 90degree and 3 45 degree fittings....

it shouldnt be this restrictive... and its on level 5! unless for some reason.. im pointing it incorrecting? how should i be pointing the arrow on the bottom?

it has the EK res top on it... top is taking water in. and the two on the side, one has a temp sensor, and the other is the output...

help!

Edward88
12-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Pic?

elk0019
12-19-2009, 07:12 PM
hope this helps, i think that's set on 5

http://www.coolercases.co.uk/images/danger_den/dd_d5_control.jpg

Mabyboi
12-19-2009, 07:14 PM
looks just like that.... still like a drizzle....

Feizy
12-19-2009, 07:19 PM
did you just put your loop together? If so, you may have a bit of air trapped in the pump. It happened to me.

Mabyboi
12-19-2009, 07:29 PM
yeah i just put it together... give the pump a good shake or what?

SimpleTECH
12-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Give your computer a good shake. Any trapped air is going to limit flow.

Mabyboi
12-19-2009, 08:59 PM
with or without the computer running? :D

(been a while since its been running)

Devil_Dog
12-19-2009, 09:10 PM
I think you may of melted the impeller. I did this a couple months back. If you take the pump apart and pull of the impeller look at the part of the impeller that sits on the ceramic ball of the pump. It it will not be level but somewhat slanted. Hard to describe but you will know it when you look at it. Look at the impeller also while it is still in the pump. It will most likely be off center.

Mabyboi
12-19-2009, 09:17 PM
I think you may of melted the impeller. I did this a couple months back. If you take the pump apart and pull of the impeller look at the part of the impeller that sits on the ceramic ball of the pump. It it will not be level but somewhat slanted. Hard to describe but you will know it when you look at it. Look at the impeller also while it is still in the pump. It will most likely be off center.

ive used this for maybe a total of.... 3 months? it was my friends before hand though. and i dont believe he had any issues with it...

Devil_Dog
12-19-2009, 09:23 PM
ive used this for maybe a total of.... 3 months? it was my friends before hand though. and i dont believe he had any issues with it...

Mine was not that old either. I set up a new loop and air was stuck in the pump and did not know it. Seemed to run fine at first then it wasn't performing as it should. After trying everything to figure out what was the problem I noticed that. Changed the impeller and that's all she wrote.

It may not be your case though. Just from what you described it sounds like the same issue I had.

Mabyboi
12-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Mine was not that old either. I set up a new loop and air was stuck in the pump and did not know it. Seemed to run fine at first then it wasn't performing as it should. After trying everything to figure out what was the problem I noticed that. Changed the impeller and that's all she wrote.

It may not be your case though. Just from what you described it sounds like the same issue I had.

how much would one of these "impeller" cost?...

Devil_Dog
12-19-2009, 09:33 PM
Your best bet is to find a used pump or just get a new one. The impeller itself was hard to find and the ones that I did cost $80 USD and above.

I ended up buying a pump off of a member from here.

Before you buy anything take the pump apart and inspect it and if all looks to be fine see if it runs by itself without any issues.

Mabyboi
12-19-2009, 09:36 PM
i hate having to pull apart my system.... i may see if there is air in there.. otherwise i will go ahead and take it apart...

so i just went and gave it a HUGE shake. everything that is... freed up a fair chunk of air bubbles.... but it still looks like its dead... anyone got an mcp655?

utc_pyro
12-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Is the knonob loose by chane? If so, it may have broken off ineternally. I had that happen to my d5, and was able to fix it by sticking a knife in the nub left on the pot and turning it untill at full power. Eventually I just replaced it with an external pot for easyer adjustment.

If that's not the case, try tunring the pump down all the way and running it for a while. On my d5 it helped clear out the bubbles trapped in the top of it.

TJ TRICHEESE
12-20-2009, 01:29 PM
i had the same problem with my old xspc pump (which is why im on air for now)

the problem is that there is too much backpressure from the things in the loop...

the way to solve this is to buy a pump with a higher delivery height (you will get barley any flow even if you manage to get all the air bubbles out of the system)

such as a ddc 18w

oh and i bet your pump will work fine if you hook it up to a res and 1 rad (there is no need to take apart the pump)

Levish
12-20-2009, 01:40 PM
try tilting the computer to get more air out, tilt it back ~15 degree's (while the pump is running) and hold that position for 2-3 minutes, then tilt it forward and then to either side. make sure you don't tilt it so far that you starve the pump for water

might also have a kink in the tubing somewhere?
Is the res feeding the pump inlet?

Mabyboi
12-20-2009, 05:02 PM
try tilting the computer to get more air out, tilt it back ~15 degree's (while the pump is running) and hold that position for 2-3 minutes, then tilt it forward and then to either side. make sure you don't tilt it so far that you starve the pump for water

might also have a kink in the tubing somewhere?
Is the res feeding the pump inlet?

Ive done so a few times, but i will do so again and see if the controller on the base of the D5 is broken...

and yes it is feeding the pump inlet directly.

Serpentarius
12-20-2009, 05:23 PM
turning off and on (aka pull the pump power plug) will allow the trapped air to escape the outlet (depending on your placement)
do it so around 10 min or so (1 hr when i was a noob) to allow the trapped bubble to recirculate back to the res (or tri-junction barb)

tilting, juggling your pc only works if the air is trapped in the waterblock, or tube/hose ... doesnt work on the pump

however if for some reason the air bubble case did not exist .... there might be some dirt settlement (or sludge) near the magnet ... often seen like a thin brownish ...
either way just drain the loop, unscrew the pump, take a tissue and wipe clean of the dirt ...

i hope this helps

Mabyboi
12-20-2009, 08:58 PM
turning off and on (aka pull the pump power plug) will allow the trapped air to escape the outlet (depending on your placement)
do it so around 10 min or so (1 hr when i was a noob) to allow the trapped bubble to recirculate back to the res (or tri-junction barb)

tilting, juggling your pc only works if the air is trapped in the waterblock, or tube/hose ... doesnt work on the pump

however if for some reason the air bubble case did not exist .... there might be some dirt settlement (or sludge) near the magnet ... often seen like a thin brownish ...
either way just drain the loop, unscrew the pump, take a tissue and wipe clean of the dirt ...

i hope this helps

thanks, but still nothing. been doing it for 20 mins... checking every part of my tubing and theres no kinks... checked with 3 PSU's aswell... no change.. its still WAY to slow. and i am going to try and get some photobucket picks up..

edit: cant get a proper picture. but basically think of a ek res, with the inlet on the top side. and the water is trickling down the side of the res... thats it...

Zigosity
12-20-2009, 09:47 PM
I know this sounds stupid, but could there be something blocking the flow inside one of the blocks\the rad?

Maybe try taking everything apart and checking that water flows through properly. Just in case.

Spawn-Inc
12-20-2009, 09:48 PM
when you put the ek top on, did you put in the o-ring?

Mabyboi
12-21-2009, 05:11 AM
I know this sounds stupid, but could there be something blocking the flow inside one of the blocks\the rad?

Maybe try taking everything apart and checking that water flows through properly. Just in case.

I havent checked that. but i will. thanks.

when you put the ek top on, did you put in the o-ring?

I didnt put it on, my friend did. and he's usually VERY good for making sure things are PERFECT. so it definately should be there.

TJ TRICHEESE
12-21-2009, 10:18 AM
i had the same problem with my old xspc pump (which is why im on air for now)

the problem is that there is too much backpressure from the things in the loop...

the way to solve this is to buy a pump with a higher delivery height (you will get barley any flow even if you manage to get all the air bubbles out of the system)

such as a ddc 18w

oh and i bet your pump will work fine if you hook it up to a res and 1 rad (there is no need to take apart the pump)

like i said this is the most likely problem^^

Diverge
12-21-2009, 11:50 AM
like i said this is the most likely problem^^

I highly doubt it. Something is not right with his system.

I have a D5 at like 1/2 the max rpm's, and it flows just fine through a T3 res, apogee gtz, an enzotech mosfet block (which are pretty restrictive), a MWC30 on the NB, a D-TEK FuZion GFX 2, a Feser 360 rad, and some 90's too.

(I still have to put in my Duniek mosfet block, and the DD 5970 block Evilclocker hooked me up with. I hope to get this done over the holidays :) )

Levish
12-21-2009, 11:57 AM
I agree, the D5 is a VERY capable pump. It might not win the "modified 355 top" benches but in a "real world loop" there is very little it can't handle and be reliable to boot.

Like someone said you have a blockage somewhere or its a defective pump.

You could also try using the original D5 "top" and gasket if you happen to have those?

NaeKuh
12-21-2009, 05:18 PM
how much would one of these "impeller" cost?...

contact vendor who you bought the pump from.

Most of them will help ya out on an RMA.

If the pump is by swiftech, then contact swiftech directly and see if they can get you a replacement.

Mabyboi
12-21-2009, 07:43 PM
contact vendor who you bought the pump from.

Most of them will help ya out on an RMA.

If the pump is by swiftech, then contact swiftech directly and see if they can get you a replacement.

Hmm will do....

Ohhhh GAAAAABBBBEEEE..... :)

Diverge
12-22-2009, 04:45 AM
You should really try troubleshooting before bothering vendors for rma's, ect. Isolate parts of your loop... pull the pump out and test it by itself.