PDA

View Full Version : Boinc 6.10.18 freezes PC

PoppaGeek
12-19-2009, 03:18 AM
Had a AMD 620 x4 on a MSI DKA790GX and Vista 64 running Boinc 6.10.18 for long enough to do 700 WUs with no problems. Swapped it out replacing my daughters dual core with it and a GTX 260 that has never caused any problems in games, F@H or GPUGrid.

PC started freezing, had to reset. Started right after I installed Realtek audio drivers and spent the next 3 hours installing rebooting uninstalling deleting directories and running driver sweeper, repeat and repeat and repeat. Finally figured out it was Boinc that was locking things up. So I suspended GPUGrid since I never had any problems before with WCG but same thing. After fighting trying to boot the machine and keep boinic from locking it up while I tried to change settings or suspend it I finally decided it was a bad WU. I uninstalled and deleted everything. Reinstalled and same thing. Took off all OCs. Same. :(

I am now running Linpak and the OCCP. Never any problems with any of the hardware or software involved. All this while trying to get F@H or Gpugrid to work on 2 8800GTs in another PC, never could. Been a bad day. :shakes:

Boinc now totally freezes or lockups the PC even with everything suspended. I added a 90 second start delay to cc_config.xml but no matter. After linpak has run I will try another version of boinc but why 700 WUs no problem and now this? :shrug:

Going to get drunk. Not a happy person right now. :rolleyes:

123bob
12-19-2009, 03:27 AM
Going to get drunk. Not a happy person right now. :rolleyes:

I already did this and I am posting with one eye now......:rofl::ROTF: Sue me...!

It seemed to me today, after dealing with many weird folks, that the asylums must have granted "shore leave" to their best clients. IDK....

My machines all make perfect sense. The trouble-makers I had earlier in the week have been fixed. I'm banging on all cylinders on the farm....I think I'll just hang out with them.:up:

Bob

Jaco
12-19-2009, 03:43 AM
If linpack and OCCT finish without any errors , it must be a software issue.
Maybe try a different version of Boinc? an older version perhaps.

PoppaGeek
12-19-2009, 03:52 AM
Linpak failed. Swapped out the 2x2gig Kingston for 2x1 G.Skill and so far so good.

RMA time I guess, had memory less than 1 month.

STILL GETTING DRUNK!!:dammit:

PoppaGeek
12-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Has been crunching and GPUgrid for about 7 hours now with no problems. Looks like memory. What I hate is all those WUs I trashed, could not even Abort them so they could resend them. Makes me feel like a bad citizen.:shakes:

The Kingston that is bad I got for $54 from Newegg. I had to take the OC down from 3.4gz to 2.9. so I guess it was weak ram all along. thought it was cheap ram. It was the last one they had. 3 days later they had more but at $104. :eek: Not so cheap ram.

DAK1640
12-19-2009, 02:38 PM
No more problems PG....Enough:ROTF:

CaptMorgan
12-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Hope you got it all sorted out

PoppaGeek
12-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Well it seems there is nothing wrong with the memory EXCEPT in the MB i wanted to use it in. In another MB it is fine. Torture tested all day, no problems. Put it back in other MB almost immediate lockup.

BUT NOW my new dual socket 1207 F with 2 Opteron Quads is down. So now I got to figure it out and I do not think this will be good. Powers on but no video or BIOS. Thought I smelt electrical burning. I am swapping PSUs first. Hope it isn't the MB the PSU is Corsair and less than 30 days so RMA there.

Is this what they call a bad weekend? I think I qualify. :(

SoulsCollective
12-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Sounds like a good excuse to get (continue getting?) drunk.

PoppaGeek
12-19-2009, 11:56 PM
PSU seems ok on multi-meter. Tried another PSU on it but it only has 1 4 pin CPU and board needs 8 so not shocked that nothing happened except fans spinning up. Not sure what to do next. Kinda burned out from dealing with so many problems at once. And to think I used to do this for a living.

D_A
12-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Get a good night's sleep and come at it fresh in the morning.

SocketMan
12-20-2009, 01:24 AM
Well it seems there is nothing wrong with the memory EXCEPT in the MB i wanted to use it in. In another MB it is fine. Torture tested all day, no problems. Put it back in other MB almost immediate lockup.

BUT NOW my new dual socket 1207 F with 2 Opteron Quads is down. So now I got to figure it out and I do not think this will be good. Powers on but no video or BIOS. Thought I smelt electrical burning. I am swapping PSUs first. Hope it isn't the MB the PSU is Corsair and less than 30 days so RMA there.

Is this what they call a bad weekend? I think I qualify. :(

Could be the sub/timings for the RAM/Memcontroller.
I am not sure about your 790gx,but my K9a2 does not give too many options in the RAM department (BIOS).
Another thing is the 667 divider for DDR2 - it never worked
for me with any of the following AM3 CPU (A2 x4 620,A2 x2 250,X3 710,x4 955) that's across 3-4 boards.

Either no POST or if I am lucky a BSD on windows startup.
The 400,533,800 and 1066 work fine but not the 667 -maybe
it's something to do with DDR2/DDR3 compatibility inside
the IMC.

These are the settings I use for my 790gx/8gb Kingston DDR2/Phenom 710

Very similar to your setup.

PoppaGeek
12-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the info. Tried all sorts of settings including Auto in the BIOS. Gave up. Found 3x1gig sticks that work ok in it. Will do for now and will get another first of month.

PoppaGeek
12-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Well with everything that went wrong this weekend, and there was more than I shared here, one thing ended up right. My daughter played LOTRO on a dual core 2.6gz with 2 gigs ram XP 32bit and a 8800GT. She is now running a 620 x4 with 3 gigs ram, the 4 gigs i had problems with were for her, Vista 64 and a GTX 260. So she is seeing Middle Earth thru DX 10 and liking it. Turbine has used DX 10 for some time and makes for nice dynamic shadows and smoke/fog effects. She really likes Vista too. She was able to raise the game setting from high to Ultra high.

Nice to have had something end up happily. :)

PoppaGeek
12-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Now my Samsung 20' LCD is dead. :(

PoppaGeek
12-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Now my Samsung 20' LCD is dead. :(

Warranty expired 10 days ago.:mad:

littleowl
12-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Warranty expired 10 days ago.:mad:

I had one die also. I took it apart to find there was a cap popped in the back. I found the cap for like $2 on the net and $6 to ship it.
Put it back together and it has ran good for about a year now.

D_A
12-22-2009, 08:49 PM
A popped cap?

Did you overclock your monitor or something?

PoppaGeek
12-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks I will look inside and see if I can see anything. The screen is a dark red, you can see the desktop but not usable and the menu stuff, buttons even on/off do not work so I assumed it was the electronics and not the panel.

jcool
12-23-2009, 02:14 AM
Damn PG that is one hell of a bad weekend.
I wasn't much luckier though, took me days to figure out an issue with the new ATI HD5970 and a waterblock.
Very real issue (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=241616) I'm afraid...

Also, my trusty DFI x58 UT died after more than a year of great service. Had it on the table benching, when I got a whiff of burned electronics. Shut it down, and it still posts, just won't go past the initial POST screen no matter what :/

My point being, you are not alone. Sometimes computers just are a PITA to deal with, no matter how much experience you have or how long you've been doing this.. they just keep on being a challenge. Maybe that's what I like about this industry, I dunno. Sometimes I do feel like getting a sledgehammer to fix certain problems :p:

PoppaGeek
12-23-2009, 02:38 AM
Sorry about your troubles. It gets so frustrating when things just keep breaking and/or not working. Hope things improve quickly and soon for ya!!

Jaws sent me a PM that he was having a similar problem with his Arima. He figured it out after 5 hours of fussing and fighting with it. I tried his fix and I am delighted to say running again. The Arima wants those 4 screws around the CPU socket in and snug. Had to put the 1207 bracket, base plate back on. I managed to still use the 757/940 brackets to attache the AM2 heatsinks. Seems to be fine, crunching away.

Good job Jaws! :up:

Now hopefully I will figure out something on the LCD...

INFRNL
12-29-2009, 07:52 PM
I have had random issues lately with boinc and latest nvidia drivers as well PG. I am going to try some different things, every machine acts differently though to some degree. I have a couple systems that get random freezes and never had an issue before, I get random 2d clocks etc; thats why my numbers have been all over the place lately.

As for samsung, they have known issues with many displays that have their caps go bad. They say the caps should look bloated, can buy them from radioshack. A lot of good info on the net about various issues relating to bad caps.

My brother has a T204B I think it is, its similar to your issue, but has a whiteish screen, but can't see anything. It was working fine, he rebooted; then didnt work anymore.

I hope you get your issues resolved as I have many of my own, I am currently working on.

PoppaGeek
12-29-2009, 08:50 PM
I finally got the Samsung LCD apart and one Cap is kinda bulging at the top. Can not find anything else bulging, burnt or any other signs of trouble. I will try and replace it and hope that fixes it.

@INFRNL Good luck with your tech issues, they do get old after awhile.