PDA

View Full Version : Corsair releases TRIM update for Samsung RBB drives!

generics_user
12-18-2009, 05:55 PM
The new Samsung firmware and updater tool have completed internal qualification and BETA testing and has been released.

A couple important notes and warnings: Even though this has been released there are still some reasons why it may not work for everyone:

[1] You will need to use a System or MB that will boot and run Microsoft DOS 6.22 or 7.0 and be able to see a SSD Drive set to IDE Mode. (You cannot use a RAID card or an on board controller set to RAID and run this update)

[2] This tool will only work on Corsair P64, P128, and P256 drives.

[3] This tool WILL ERASE the contents of the drive. All data will be lost. You must back up your DATA prior to doing this update.

[4] This tool has been qualified on X86 Based Hardware ONLY with the above listed restrictions and limitations..

[5] This tool must be run from a bootable USB drive. There have been some users in the BETA program that used other methods but at this time they would not officially be supported.

[6] This update has been developed by Samsung to enable Windows 7 Trim Support on NTFS-formatted SSDs. We do not recommend or support its use on any other platforms.

source: Corsair Forums (http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83708)

i'll give it a try next week once i reinstall my WIN7; but i've been very happy with samsung GC so far (much better GC than intel + indilinx) :up:

zalbard
12-22-2009, 02:37 PM
I'm not sure how come this thread got left unnoticed.
Good news, and well done, Corsair! :D
So, no serious manufacturer makes drives without TRIM now, correct?

Kwisatz Haderac
12-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Hopefully the Xtreme series of drives will not be too far behind. They have said they are working on it, but its not ready to beta yet.

Russian
12-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Awesome, i'll definitely flash my drives with this. :)

randomizer
12-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Samsung is only months behind the rest of the industry.

Budwise
12-23-2009, 06:15 AM
Months behind, if its first release is rock solid then i still give them props over Intel.

Russian
12-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Samsung is only months behind the rest of the industry.

Except Intel had just released the properly working versions of theirs... :rolleyes:

lutjens
12-23-2009, 08:33 PM
I wonder, will this firmware also reset the drives, or will a low level HDD Erase also be required to restore as new condition?

randomizer
12-23-2009, 09:43 PM
I wonder, will this firmware also reset the drives, or will a low level HDD Erase also be required to restore as new condition?

How would the firmware know when to reset to drive without being given a command to do so?

lutjens
12-23-2009, 10:38 PM
How would the firmware know when to reset to drive without being given a command to do so?

Considering that installing the firmware wipes the drive of all data, it's not unreasonable to think that all the cells will be reset to an "as new" condition. A confirmation of this reset would be nice though.

randomizer
12-24-2009, 12:42 AM
Considering that installing the firmware wipes the drive of all data, it's not unreasonable to think that all the cells will be reset to an "as new" condition. A confirmation of this reset would be nice though.

Oh, I apologise, I didn't know you were referring just to when the firmware is installed. I was thinking of subsequent resets to the whole drive which would require you to use Secure Erase still.

KB24LA
12-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Hopefully the Xtreme series of drives will not be too far behind. They have said they are working on it, but its not ready to beta yet.

would be nice to have it in the future :up:

ExodusC
12-25-2009, 10:34 AM
I believe OCZ has had this firmware update out for their Samsung-based Summit drives for a while now. I'm assuming it's probably the exact same firmware, since I was under the impression that the Summit and the Corsair drives were essentially the exact same device.

Tony
12-29-2009, 06:36 AM
its the same file, samsung supplied the file to all partners a few weeks ago.

Also neither Corsair or OCZ had anything to do with this file, its all samsung based and the feature set was decided by samsung.