PDA

View Full Version : About to Purchase An Intel 80GB G2

Wesker
12-13-2009, 10:57 PM
I've had a tough time tossing up between the Intel X25M-G2 (80GB) and OCZ Vertex 60/120GB. Both drives seem reliable, support TRIM and have their respective GC functions. But I think I'm going to have to go with the Intel drive here. Everyone's raving about them, the reviews seem great and they seem to be restocked everywhere.

I intend to have a combined SSD + HDD setup, but I'm not sure how exactly I can combine the two... I want Win7's OS files to be on the SSD as well as some apps and games, while making the HDD a place to store things like music, movies and backups. Currently I have Win7 installed on my HDD, but I really don't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling Win7, downloading all the drivers for my laptop and etc. Is there a way to perhaps move my current partition to the SSD (my laptop has two 2.5" bays)? Or should I just bite the bullet and start from zero?

Thanks in advance.

heydo6
12-13-2009, 11:59 PM
i just picked up the intel 80 gb also . you should started from scratch ... i have only been running win 7 for a couple weeks and i finally got all the bugs worked out of 64 but i will start fresh also , not looking forward to it also .

i just hope i get a great drive that lasts till i am tired of it .

zalbard
12-14-2009, 01:25 AM
I really suggest starting from the scratch. Win7 is making some optimisations when it's being installed onto a SSD. :up:

Wesker
12-14-2009, 04:43 AM
I really suggest starting from the scratch. Win7 is making some optimisations when it's being installed onto a SSD. :up:

Ah true, I completely forgot about that! :up:

Right, well I guess I'll have to start from scratch.

Thanks, guys.

Razmatazz
12-14-2009, 04:25 PM
I have a 160GB G2 due to arrive on the 18th. Agree with the clean install that is recommended. I hope and expect that it won't be all that bad though. Remember, we are going to be installing onto a SSD and not a traditional HD. I suspect that this will make the entire process considerably faster.

PC_User
12-14-2009, 08:20 PM
I'm going to go through the hassle when I get my SSD. Always feel more comfortable with a clean install, even if it means spending a bit more time.

vengance_01
12-17-2009, 08:17 PM
I agree with everyone else. Clean install all the way!

dctokyo
12-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Go with the Intel X25M-G2, very fast :up: