PDA

View Full Version : Standard Gamut S-IPS LCDs?

mrcape
12-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Hi, I need a list of S-IPS or H-IPS that are NOT wide gamut. I have an LG W3000HBN with ultra wide gamut of 116% (latest LG IPS panel I guess) and I can't stand it for day to day - way too over sateurated greens and reds. It's great for photo work within color managed apps, but that's absolutely it.

I'm returning this and looking for a gamut closer to 72% so I can use it for all purposes.

Can anyone confirm that the Apple Cinema 30" is lower gamut? I'd also consider 26" 1900x1200 screens with lower gamut.

Thanks, and beware the wide gamut, it sucks!

mrcape
12-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Btw, I'm aware of the color management work flow workarounds and it's not worth it to me. I'd much rather wait until wide gamut is truly supported and profile adjustable by the OS.

zanzabar
12-13-2009, 02:02 PM
win7 has it built in to correct it, and shouldent your monitor have come with a disk to correct it

Machinus
12-13-2009, 02:19 PM
just calibrate? wide gamut doesn't make your colors worse, it just displays more them. you would do better to just calibrate or change the profile.

mrcape
12-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Not true at all. I've calibrated with Spyder 3 pro and color managed as much as possible, and it's still not in Win 7 (admittedly according to MS). Have either of you tried it? It's pretty bad.

mrcape
12-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Back to topic, can anyone list some standard gamut IPS or PVA panels between 26-30" that are still for sale?

zanzabar
12-13-2009, 03:22 PM
ive been searching and all of them were h-ips for ips, there is the dell pva and its 98 or 100% ntsc

mrcape
12-13-2009, 03:28 PM
It's really tough to find! I now realize that for web design it's really crucial that I have normal gamut. I made the dumb mistake of thinking I could adjust this to look 99% like sRGB in all scenarios, but it's impossible as the color ranges are so different. I can tone down the "digital vibrance" in forceware, but still it seems lame to have to tone down the monitor that's designed to have a wide range for photo editing, print design etc.. I'd rather just have a higher end standard gamut screen. If PVA or IPS standarg gamut screens are no longer being made I will just go back to TN panels.

Thanks for looking !

YukonTrooper
12-13-2009, 04:26 PM
You cannot adjust the color space with Windows profiles. Calibration tools will only adjust the white-balance, gamma and brightness settings. If you have an ATI card, however, you can enable EDID recognition in CCC on most wide-gamut monitors and BAM! you'll be in sRGB.

mrcape
12-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Right, only color profile aware applications like photoshop or FF with color management turned on render srgb properly. I'm wondering if there's any utility like powerstrip that will do EDID recognition. I'm using a gtx295 with this.

zanzabar
12-13-2009, 04:51 PM
for web design i would get a TN as u want to have the same thing as the largest part of the population, then check it with a crt to make sure that there is no artifacting in the images, but working on a tn sucks so then the next one up is a pva, and there is the dell office pva its about $500 for the 24" i dont know about a 26:"

mrcape
12-13-2009, 05:40 PM
I have several of TNs and a crt here that I use for checking, but I want a higher end screen. I think the PVA you mention or Apple may be the only way to go. From what I can gather from a few sources, there's a new revision of the Dell U2410 coming out soon that can be set to use sRGB with no dithering issue that the current version has. Beyond that there's the Samsung 305T (PVA, older, non plus version) and the Apple Cineam 30" that uses standard gamut with an IPS panel.

There may be some new models in the NEC PA series that can do sRGB as well. Not sure, but they look pretty awesome -

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1260108113 "3D-LUT (Look up table) for optimal colour control, 10-bit LCD"

PC_User
12-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Back to topic, can anyone list some standard gamut IPS or PVA panels between 26-30" that are still for sale?

The NEC LCD2490WUXi is consistently regarded as one of the best 24" IPS monitors. It is, however, a 24" and sells for $1,000+ USD.

YukonTrooper
12-14-2009, 11:23 PM
The NEC LCD2490WUXi is consistently regarded as one of the best 24" IPS monitors. It is, however, a 24" and sells for $1,000+ USD.
Not the best choice for gaming, though, if that's one of the OP's goals.

Machinus
12-15-2009, 04:51 AM
I have a wide gamut monitor on Windows 7, and after I calibrated everything is perfect. What device did you use?

Wolf132
12-15-2009, 12:50 PM
http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php . There is a list of all the H-IPS, E-IPS, and S-IPS panels . 3007wfp non HC and the NEC LCD2490WUXi w/polarizer are the only ones that arent wide gamut i think. But theres some good e-IPS panels coming out now in 26inch that arent wide gamut i believe. Might be worth a look. I don't think any company uses S-IPS panels anymore, only E/H-IPS, PVA, MVA, and TN.

The main problem with wide gamut monitors is that games arent color managed. So greens and reds will be oversaturated.

STEvil
12-16-2009, 08:11 PM
I have no problems with oversaturated colors with my W3000H? Just running a stock XP-64 install and untweaked ATi Drivers.

weird

mrcape
12-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Hi guys, thanks for the feedback. I still have this screen and have been getting used to a work flow for the type of work I do that isn't too bad. The latest nVidia driver has a much better version of the "digital vibrance" control that allows me to set the color pretty close to sRGB. It's not dead on, and I can confirm that using color aware apps like photoshop and firefox w/ color management turned on, but it's pretty good looking at the desktop and amazing in the Adobe apps. I've tried using both Win 7 color management and a Spyder3 Pro for creating profiles, and I run a profile from the Spyder and tone it down with the video driver unless I'm in a graphics app.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll report back if anything changes.

vengance_01
12-17-2009, 08:25 PM
I got a used Dell 2405 WFP for 199. Samsung S-PVA panel. Great monitor for 200$

LarsMarkelson
12-18-2009, 01:44 PM

+1. I've been researching this stuff myself and it appears that the 2490wuxi is the best standard gamut 1920x1200 monitor you can get (well not for gaming).

I just don't know where to find one new is the problem, atm.

YukonTrooper
01-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Explain further. This doesn't work in games etc., does it?
Yes, it should. However, I'd also suggest calibrating RGB (grayscale) with your calibration tool and software of choice after you've put your monitor into sRGB. Also, as many games will try and load the sRGB profile found in the Windows system directory, it's a good idea to use some program that will keep your calibrated profile loaded when loading a game. I use Monitor Calibration Wizard for this purpose.

AndrewZorn
01-14-2010, 12:22 AM
i cant believe this is still an issue. i mean wow, something mac gets right...
makes me sad about still wanting to buy the new 110% dell u2711

Rock&Roll
01-14-2010, 08:03 AM
@OP. I think you're looking for something like this, unless you're bent on staying around 30".

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=243204

And yes, I just blatantly linked to my own thread. :p