PDA

View Full Version : AMD's Dirk Meyer prepares for battle with Intel

ajaidev
12-10-2009, 08:54 PM
"For someone who’s a walking tome on fly-fishing , angling comes easy. Dirk Meyer, the president and CEO of Advanced Micro Devices (AMD
), has been ogged by the successes of archrival Intel ever since he set foot in AMD 14 years ago as an engineer for the company’s Athlon microprocessor. The fact is that Intel has a 95%-plus market share in the semiconductor space and it is rather difficult to take on the Goliath single-handedly, but Meyer seems to be angling the ball into the net quite well ever since he took over from the beleaguered Hector Ruiz last year. For the uninitiated, Ruiz was one of those implicated in the Galleon insider trading scam, and was forced to quit as chairman of Globalfoundries . “The first thing we do is to make sure we support the criminal investigation in whatever way we can, look into the matter, and finally remind our employees that this is a wake-up call,” says Meyer when we met him at the Oberoi Business Lounge in his whistle-stop tour of New Delhi recently...."

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/features/corporate-dossier/Global-CEO-AMDs-Dirk-Meyer-prepares-for-battle-with-Intel/articleshow/5325106.cms

Why was he in New Delhi, India?? I mean CEOs just dont travel without any reason maybe he was here to see on llano/BD. There is a huge AMD R&D presence in India located in Bangalore and one near delhi.

The funny part is the Bangalore AMD R&D center is not very far from Intel's R&D center which is also present in Bangalore... :rofl:

12-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Where does it say anything about preparing for war with Intel?

Solus Corvus
12-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Where does it say anything about preparing for war with Intel?
If you read the article: In big bold letters at the top.

Marios
12-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Dirk's speech at Delhi is on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k6pz7US7CQ). He said something like Intel do their job we do ours. Dirk was an Intel employee in the past.

ajaidev
12-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Dirk's speech at Delhi is on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k6pz7US7CQ). He said something like Intel do their job we do ours. Dirk was an Intel employee in the past.

Nice thanks...

Fearlessleader
12-10-2009, 10:29 PM
AMD better do something real quick. There CPU's have been sucking hind tit now since 939. But it's nice they kick some butt at least with the ATI line up or right now they would be so gone nothing would help. As it is even if they come out with the greatest chip in the world next week it will be a long time coming for their return.

I hope they get off there backside, it will be good for everybody. Ya I nice knock down drag out fight to the death. Man we would have some kicking CPUs in less then 2 years you could only dream about now.

skugpezz
12-10-2009, 10:32 PM
AMD better do something real quick. There CPU's have been sucking hind tit now since 939. But it's nice they kick some butt at least with the ATI line up or right now they would be so gone nothing would help. As it is even if they come out with the greatest chip in the world next week it will be a long time coming for their return.

I hope they get off there backside, it will be good for everybody. Ya I nice knock down drag out fight to the death. Man we would have some kicking CPUs in less then 2 years you could only dream about now.
they are back on the ball with phenom II. Amd rapes in all section except the highend. no?

god_43
12-10-2009, 11:42 PM
^thats what i thought too?

informal
12-11-2009, 12:59 AM
skugpezz ,you are correct .

generics_user
12-11-2009, 01:23 AM

i use my machine 80% for office work + cad and 20% for gaming and still have to find an app in which my old corei7 had higher performance than the PII aside from the fact that it consumed ~100W more...

only very very very few people need or use the power of i7 and as some comparisons showed you don't gain FPS from i7 in games; C2Q and PII still kick ass in gaming apps at a much lower price tag ;)

Nedjo
12-11-2009, 01:51 AM
you mean employee of the DEC?

=SOC= Admiral
12-11-2009, 05:13 AM
they are back on the ball with phenom II. Amd rapes in all section except the highend. no?

Wouldn't that something be Bulldozer. Which boasts theoretical performance of 80-90% over what we have with our Phenom IIs. Don't forget that for the high end BD they will not have graphics on die but the lower end does. So doesn't that say there will be extra space on the die for more modules. We could see a 6 module Bulldozer. But Intel had better not make a mistake with Sandy Bridge.

Also I do believe counting the cores with Bulldozer and on will be obsolete instead we should count it by the number of modules. So we have dual module and Quad Module processors confirmed to be coming out from AMD Q1 2011. AMD is going to be gunning for Intel like crazy now that they have more money for research and development. The 1 year behind manufacturing process calculation could become obsolete in the near future.

I will be going with the highest end Bulldozer when they come out.

skugpezz
12-11-2009, 05:37 AM
Wouldn't that something be Bulldozer. Which boasts theoretical performance of 80-90% over what we have with our Phenom IIs. Don't forget that for the high end BD they will not have graphics on die but the lower end does. So doesn't that say there will be extra space on the die for more modules. We could see a 6 module Bulldozer. But Intel had better not make a mistake with Sandy Bridge.

Also I do believe counting the cores with Bulldozer and on will be obsolete instead we should count it by the number of modules. So we have dual module and Quad Module processors confirmed to be coming out from AMD Q1 2011. AMD is going to be gunning for Intel like crazy now that they have more money for research and development. The 1 year behind manufacturing process calculation could become obsolete in the near future.

I will be going with the highest end Bulldozer when they come out.
Well I cant really talk about bulldozer as it is not out yet, and I dont know what performance is like.

Clairvoyant129
12-11-2009, 08:07 AM

For the price yes, but for performance it's still slower than the 2 year old C2Q clock for clock which is Intel's low end. Only thing PII has over C2Q is clock speed, which C2Q can easily match and exceed through overclocking (not to mention Yorkies overclock better than Denebs).

And socket 1156, which is Intel's mainstream rapes PIIs, even their slowest Core i5 750 is faster than every PII offering. Where did you get the idea that PII rapes every Intel lineup except socket 1366? (Intel's high end from what you're inferring)

I'll start this conclusion with what AMD must do in response to Lynnfield. The Core i5 750 is a great processor at $196, in fact, it's the best quad-core CPU you can buy at that price today. In nearly every case it's faster than AMD's Phenom II X4 965 BE

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3634&p=20

skugpezz
12-11-2009, 08:29 AM
For the price yes, but for performance it's still slower than the 2 year old C2Q clock for clock which is Intel's low end. Only thing PII has over C2Q is clock speed, which C2Q can easily match and exceed through overclocking (not to mention Yorkies overclock better than Denebs).

And socket 1156, which is Intel's mainstream rapes PIIs, even their slowest Core i5 750 is faster than every PII offering. Where did you get the idea that PII rapes every Intel lineup except socket 1366? (Intel's high end from what you're inferring)

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3634&p=20
how old a cpu is does not matter here, price is what matters, and amd owns in that perspective . A cpu is not all to a platform, if intel had more bang for buck I would have had an intel cpu. Get some glasses if you dont see that.

C2Q (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=q9550&x=0&y=0) vs Phenom II pricing (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=phenom+II&x=0&y=0)

show me benches that justify pricing

terrace215
12-11-2009, 08:29 AM
Unfortunately, Dirk appears to be saddled with a very problematic IBM metal gate process.

Gate-first is a bust, with both yield and performance problems, and now GloFo and other members are demanding IBM switch to Intel's gate-last style ASAP.

Of course, this won't happen (for CPU node) until 22nm! Oops!

http://www.semiconductor.net/article/439276-Pressure_Builds_on_Gate_First_High_k-full.php

This is a BIG deal. Mistakes like this cannot be fixed quickly, and basically mean AMD's 32nm node will be mediocre at best.

" The issue is that when you hit these dielectrics and metals with the thermal cycles, things change in ways that you can't control "

Clairvoyant129
12-11-2009, 08:47 AM
how old a cpu is does not matter here, price is what matters, and amd owns in that perspective . A cpu is not all to a platform, if intel had more bang for buck I would have had an intel cpu. Get some glasses if you dont see that.

C2Q (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=q9550&x=0&y=0) vs Phenom II pricing (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=phenom+II&x=0&y=0)

show me benches that justify pricing

If you read more closely to what I wrote, I did say, "For the price yes." But in terms of pure performance, no.

I do agree that in the low end, it's a no brainer, PII is a better buy than C2Q. But mid-range and up, no competition.

skugpezz
12-11-2009, 08:51 AM
If you read more closely to what I wrote, I did say, "For the price yes." But in terms of pure performance, no.

I do agree that in the low end, it's a no brainer, PII is a better buy than C2Q. But mid-range and up, no competition.
Midrange is c2q/corei3.
"For the price yes." But in terms of pure performance, no. I am really not seeing your point here???? Am I not getting puire performancef rom my pII 955? What is un pure about it vs a c2q or a i7/i5 in games?

Clairvoyant129
12-11-2009, 08:55 AM
Midrange is c2q/corei3. I am really not seeing your point here???? Am I not getting puire performancef rom my pII 955? What is un pure about it vs a c2q or a i7/i5 in games?

:rolleyes:

Price/performance ratio, do you get it now or do I need to break it down in to simpler terms? AMD has a better for price/performance, I 100% agree with that, however at the same clock speed C2Q is faster, there is no denying that or do I need to show you benches to prove it?

skugpezz
12-11-2009, 09:00 AM
:rolleyes:

Price/performance ratio, do you get it now or do I need to break it down in to simpler terms? AMD has a better for price/performance but in terms of pure performance C2Q is still faster clock for clock and overclocks better.

And no, C2Q/Core i3 is low end and Core i5/i7 Lynnfields are mid range.
1156 is highend because it has high performance cpu like the i5/i7 etc . Overclocking yes I would say c2q are better , out of the box PII is faster. i5 limited to 16 lanes isnt worthy of a buy imo

Clairvoyant129
12-11-2009, 09:05 AM
1156 is highend because it has high performance cpu like the i5/i7 etc . Overclocking yes I would say c2q are better , out of the box PII is faster. i5 limited to 16 lanes isnt worthy of a buy imo

If you decide to use multi-GPU, it will be a problem but even you are not using multi-GPU setup so I don't see what the problem is? If you wanted to use multi-GPU setup, just pick up a motherboard with a NF200 and you can triple SLI or 4 way quad fire.

skugpezz
12-11-2009, 09:11 AM
If you decide to use multi-GPU, it will be a problem but even you are not using multi-GPU setup so I don't see what the problem is? If you wanted to use multi-GPU setup, just pick up a motherboard with a NF200 and you can triple SLI or 4 way quad fire.
True, same can be said for overclocking. Out of the box phenom II seems better for gaming (http://www.modreactor.com/english/Reviews/Test-ATI-HD-4890-1GB-CrossFire-AMD-Phenom-II-955-BE-vs-Intel-Core-i7-920/Page-2-Performance-3DMark-Vantage.html) .

vietthanhpro
12-11-2009, 09:13 AM
The diagram below is for an 8-core Valencia die.
http://blogs.amd.com/work/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/bulldozer-cache.jpg

Hornet331
12-11-2009, 09:16 AM
i use my machine 80% for office work + cad and 20% for gaming and still have to find an app in which my old corei7 had higher performance than the PII aside from the fact that it consumed ~100W more...

only very very very few people need or use the power of i7 and as some comparisons showed you don't gain FPS from i7 in games; C2Q and PII still kick ass in gaming apps at a much lower price tag ;)

100W?

Guess you need to stop putting a highend graphic card in your intel system and use an igp on the amd system. :p:

If you would have cut your number by 75% noone would have said anything, though that only counts for the S1336 platoform.

flippin_waffles
12-11-2009, 09:34 AM
The diagram below is for an 8-core Valencia die.
http://blogs.amd.com/work/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/bulldozer-cache.jpg

Nice. Here's the link to that blog.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/2009/12/11/aiming-for-the-sweet-spot-in-2010-and-beyond/

JohnZS
12-11-2009, 11:01 AM
I know my opinion means absolutely nothing (perhaps the equivalent of naff all), but speaking as an Intel Fanboy (awaits the flames), I think the Phenom II is a wonderful processor and a HUGE step forwards for AMD, who would have thought that it was not that long ago AMD were lumped with that awful Phenom Processor. It would be nice (for competition) to see AMD resurrect the age old "FX Brand" for TOP OF THE RANGE HIGH END CPU's which could compete blow for blow with Intel Extreme Edition CPU's
At the moment as controversial as this sounds I think that AMD can barely compete with the Core i5.
Pre-Core i5 the Phennom II was a good buy, but now I would fail to see how and why anyone would over look this gem of a platform.
With prices of the X58 motherboard falling the true Core i7 (1366 platform) is not that far off in pricing. IMHO AMD do not have anything really worth shouting about in the CPU market right NOW, however they do have very good Graphics cards (ATi) and the Phenom II is still a lovely CPU.
I even hear that they are doing a 3.6Ghz version which would perhaps take AMD into Core i5 territory?
Until AMD are able to compete fully as in from top to enthusiast then they are not really taking on Intel.
This isn't like the days of the Pentium 4 and the AMD A64...but even if half of the AMD fanboy hype about this supposed Bulldozer (all things for all men) is to believed then those days will return soon, but for now Intel have the Mainstream and the Enthusiast CPU market.
John

LesGrossman
12-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Unfortunately, Dirk appears to be saddled with a very problematic IBM metal gate process.

Gate-first is a bust, with both yield and performance problems, and now GloFo and other members are demanding IBM switch to Intel's gate-last style ASAP.

Of course, this won't happen (for CPU node) until 22nm! Oops!

http://www.semiconductor.net/article/439276-Pressure_Builds_on_Gate_First_High_k-full.php

This is a BIG deal. Mistakes like this cannot be fixed quickly, and basically mean AMD's 32nm node will be mediocre at best.

" The issue is that when you hit these dielectrics and metals with the thermal cycles, things change in ways that you can't control "
:wasntme:

"Both of the gate formation approaches have their problems"
""For IBM, gate first will work well at the 32 nm generation"
"offering as proof an IBM 28 nm low-power process described Wednesday at IEDM with an industry-best equivalent oxide thickness (EOT). "Nobody has such a low EOT for a 28 nm LP process," Khare said."

zalbard
12-11-2009, 11:07 AM
There surely is competition between Phenom IIs and i3/C2Q chips IMO.
But talking about mainstream, you have to define mainstream first.
Mainstream can still be dual core solutions, and in this case PII x2 55x unlockable into PII x4 is a great offer.

JohnZS
12-11-2009, 11:09 AM
There surely is competition between Phenom IIs and i3/C2Q chips IMO.
But talking about mainstream, you have to define mainstream first.
Mainstream can still be dual core solutions, and in this case PII x2 55x unlockable into PII x4 is a great offer.

Good point, very good point, I tend to define i3 as Entry level.
i3 = Entry
i5 = Mainstream
i7 = High End
i7 1366/i9 = Enthusiast.

It's fair to say AMD have the Entry level and perhaps lower Mainstream... however the i5 is still the MainStream King
John

To(V)bo Co(V)bo
12-11-2009, 02:30 PM
I still believe AMD has alot to offer to average consumers. If people actually where informed about the AMD platform as a whole, they would do a lot better. AMD systems with ATi graphics are a balanced experience, you can play HD movies and fire up games quite well. People will buy corei7 computers with intel IGP's that cant run crap over a AMD one. People are still stuck in the faster CPU is better marketing when the should be more worried about the fun and usefulness a balanced PC offers. I think a AMD 785 board and a 100$ propus quad core is a perfect combo for just about anyone. For the price I dont think anyone can complain, or you could spend more and do much worse with a intel crackerjack box.

I think the real mistake is the lack of AMD MARKETING, make a few commercials for gods sake. They should also have there own ATI based ION platform too, that market is so big not to ignore it.

Clairvoyant129
12-11-2009, 02:59 PM
I still believe AMD has alot to offer to average consumers. If people actually where informed about the AMD platform as a whole, they would do a lot better. AMD systems with ATi graphics are a balanced experience, you can play HD movies and fire up games quite well. People will buy corei7 computers with intel IGP's that cant run crap over a AMD one. People are still stuck in the faster CPU is better marketing when the should be more worried about the fun and usefulness a balanced PC offers. I think a AMD 785 board and a 100$ propus quad core is a perfect combo for just about anyone. For the price I dont think anyone can complain, or you could spend more and do much worse with a intel crackerjack box.

I think the real mistake is the lack of AMD MARKETING, make a few commercials for gods sake. They should also have there own ATI based ION platform too, that market is so big not to ignore it.

I don't think ANYONE would pick up an i7 + IGP, I don't even think there is a socket 1366 motherboard with an IGP.

And how is faster CPU = not better? Can you explain that? If money isn't an issue, why would you not get a faster CPU or faster platform? How is that marketing? And please, not everyone plays games.

To(V)bo Co(V)bo
12-11-2009, 03:06 PM
I was thinking laptops, I was tryin to make a point. The truth is that 90% of new computers are laptops. Desktops are really only for enthusiasts these days.

i7 is also 1156 too.

JohnZS
12-11-2009, 03:11 PM
You'd only ever buy intel if you are purchasing a laptop...

Sparky
12-11-2009, 03:13 PM

um, what? I thought AMD had caught up on that part a while ago with the Phenom II :confused:

JohnZS
12-11-2009, 03:16 PM
um, what? I thought AMD had caught up on that part a while ago with the Phenom II :confused:

They have. The fastest Phenom II BE is on par or faster than a Q9650 in most things. :)

However they are not as fast as Core i5

Vit^pr0n
12-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Honestly you can't go wrong with either platform. A PII vs an I7 sees very little FPS difference when gaming at 1920x1200 and up. Benchmarks prove this. Just get whatever fits your budget and suits your needs. If you use apps that make use of cores, then an I7 is the obvious choice. If you're on a budget, the AMD platform is the better choice.

Done and done.

Sparky
12-11-2009, 03:43 PM
They have. The fastest Phenom II BE is on par or faster than a Q9650 in most things. :)

That's what I thought. Then what was Clairvoyant129 talking about?

To(V)bo Co(V)bo
12-11-2009, 04:28 PM

I use my laptop as a HTPC, so I get what has the best multimedia expierience. Even for desktop I would choose the best multimedia expierience. Since I am a hardware freak and designer I get the best of the best, and stick with a desktop workstation. I like being able to choose my poision if you know what I mean.:up:

Any real enthusiast will tell you it doesnt matter how fast the hardware you have is, It is what you use it for that matters. What good is a core i7 for if your just browsing the web?

edit: Honestly I think 1156 is a water downed platform, I would take a full featured AM3 platform over it anyday. I dont like it when I get sold less features for more money caus its new. At least AM3 will have all 32 pcie lanes and have enough power for usb3 and sata3 without taking a performance hit.

accord99
12-11-2009, 04:31 PM
He mentioned clock for clock.

skugpezz
12-11-2009, 08:13 PM
I don't think ANYONE would pick up an i7 + IGP, I don't even think there is a socket 1366 motherboard with an IGP.

And how is faster CPU = not better? Can you explain that? If money isn't an issue, why would you not get a faster CPU or faster platform? How is that marketing? And please, not everyone plays games.
For me money isnt an issue , but I prefer bang for buck. I would prefer to buy 2 5770 than a 5870, if you understand what i mean.

SocketMan
12-11-2009, 08:34 PM

What do you define as "fast" ?
Is it the load time of web pages,is it how much time it takes to
finish a benchmark,is it something that allows you to get more
work done, is it the higher FPS/detail/resolution in games?

For me personally the best feature of an i7/i5 is the ability
to run either SLI or Crossfire.
That and hyper threading - which may not be useful to the
general public,but is huge in HPC computing (Folding at home,
WCG) as well as encoding to a lesser extent thanks to GPUs.

Is i5 a better cpu then Ph2 ?
Sure it is,but a cpu alone is not enough to be a PC.
AMD has realized that a couple of years ago, when they
started "pushing" the whole platform (cpu,gpu,chipset(s))
Now if you look at the platform there is only one company
that has all that is needed.Intel makes the best cpus,Nvidia
makes the best gpu's (not counting the 5xxx series)
AMD makes both.

Intel needs ATI/NV to get the GPUs,NV needs Intel/AMD for
the cpus,AMD does not need either -that's where their
biggest advantage is imo.

Are these 2 cpus (i5 and Ph2) from the same
generation?
I would say no,since Intel is at least a few months ahead
in the manufacturing process.
C2Q on the other hand (Intels 1st 45nm,shrink from 65) and Ph.2 (AMD's 1st 45nm,shrink from Ph1 65nm) are the same
generation.The majority of the review sites compare i7/i5 to a
Ph2 (or whatever you can buy today from either company)
which is fine by me,it's actually amazing that Ph2 can keep
up (more or less) with i5.
Now if you're a hardcore gamer using high resolutions+IQ i5/i7 (1156 ) is limited to 16 PCIe lanes which means 2 cards
at most and PCIe x8 max (when 2 cards are used) making it
somewhat less desirable (for me anyway).

1366 does not have that limit,nor does a Ph2 which actually
offers slightly more lanes and a much smaller price tag.

This same PCIe limit on the i5 is also causing "problems"
with USB3/SATA6 and again x58/790fx do not have these "issues".
Anyway the point is: i5 is great solution but it's not as perfect
as some people think,it is more then enough however for
an average/casual user/gamer.

Now back to the topic:
The article does not actually mention much in terms of
a particular product,but it does give an idea about where
AMD's focus/strategy is and going to be next year (s).

Clairvoyant129
12-11-2009, 08:40 PM

I'm talking about clock for clock, read again. :shakes:

Sparky
12-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Yeah... that's what I'm talking about too. I thought AMD already caught up with the Q series a while ago? Overall, of course there are specific applications where one or the other is faster per clock.

god_43
12-11-2009, 10:12 PM

.....why on earth would you only do that? Amd has a better platform for laptops; they provide balanced system - a good processor and a good gpu. Intel just provides a good CPU......and only the core2's and the icore's are good, are you going to tell me that Intel’s crappy Pentium dual cores are better than amd cpus? What about all their crappy igps, probably the most important thing to consider with laptops, because once it’s there....you can’t change it? Will a gma4500 play Sims 3 on medium very well? There really is not any difference when considering battery life, because it is all about usage and all of the current amd mobile cpus are 45nm just like Intel. Before there was a difference of like a half hour.

I really would like to know why you would only get Intel; when considering a laptop?
:shrug:

hyc
12-11-2009, 10:13 PM
For me personally the best feature of an i7/i5 is the ability
to run either SLI or Crossfire.
That and hyper threading - which may not be useful to the
general public,but is huge in HPC computing (Folding at home,
WCG) as well as encoding to a lesser extent thanks to GPUs.

Huh? If HyperThreading is making a huge boost to Folding at Home then that code is written badly. In real HPC code the ALUs / FPUs are kept busy 100% of the time without stalls, so there's no bubbles in the pipeline and no opportunity to switch to another thread.

god_43
12-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Yeah... that's what I'm talking about too. I thought AMD already caught up with the Q series a while ago? Overall, of course there are specific applications where one or the other is faster per clock.

i think he might be referring to ipc? phenoms have 3 and c2's have 4, that has to be what he meant?

Sparky
12-11-2009, 10:31 PM
Huh? If HyperThreading is making a huge boost to Folding at Home then that code is written badly. In real HPC code the ALUs / FPUs are kept busy 100% of the time without stalls, so there's no bubbles in the pipeline and no opportunity to switch to another thread.

Well... to be quite honest, their code does tend to suck at times. They aren't the best at writing efficient code, that's for sure.

god_43
12-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Well... to be quite honest, their code does tend to suck at times. They aren't the best at writing efficient code, that's for sure.

are they not moving to opencl (a complete rewrite) in their next version?

To(V)bo Co(V)bo
12-11-2009, 10:58 PM
I think cuda is crap, and is gonna die very soon. Look at all those game developers embracing DXCompute already, it really was a surprise to me. It wont take long now that opencl has wide support.

Boissez
12-12-2009, 07:14 PM
.....why on earth would you only do that? Amd has a better platform for laptops; they provide balanced system - a good processor and a good gpu. Intel just provides a good CPU......and only the core2's and the icore's are good, are you going to tell me that Intel’s crappy Pentium dual cores are better than amd cpus? What about all their crappy igps, probably the most important thing to consider with laptops, because once it’s there....you can’t change it? Will a gma4500 play Sims 3 on medium very well? There really is not any difference when considering battery life, because it is all about usage and all of the current amd mobile cpus are 45nm just like Intel. Before there was a difference of like a half hour.

I really would like to know why you would only get Intel; when considering a laptop?
:shrug:

Well for starters there's battery life - can you link me to one decent AMD-based laptop with an all-day battery? - I don't think so...

Also even those 'crappy Pentiums' you mention outperform any AMD processor (clock for clock) in productivity apps.

I also don't really buy the 'balanced system' argument either - consumers are better off with systems that are tailored for their needs rather than a 'jack of all trades' that can't fulfill it's role properly. Intels multitude of platforms allows that.

The only thing AMD has going for it in my book is a half-decent IGP that's better in low-end systems (higher end systems have discrete graphics anyway) for non-productive apps. That won't whoo anyone I'm afraid...

god_43
12-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Well for starters there's battery life - can you link me to one decent AMD-based laptop with an all-day battery? - I don't think so...

Also even those 'crappy Pentiums' you mention outperform any AMD processor (clock for clock) in productivity apps.

I also don't really buy the 'balanced system' argument either - consumers are better off with systems that are tailored for their needs rather than a 'jack of all trades' that can't fulfill it's role properly. Intels multitude of platforms allows that.

The only thing AMD has going for it in my book is a half-decent IGP that's better in low-end systems (higher end systems have discrete graphics anyway) for non-productive apps. That won't whoo anyone I'm afraid...

...there is no all-day battery, unless you are using 12+ cell batteries? Most of the batteries are 6 cells so....i call BS. Loll oems make inflated claims about battery life as well, you will never get 8hrs (unless it is a big battery). That :banana::banana::banana::banana: is going to be fixed soon anyways, a family in Wisconsin is suing staples for false battery life claims on their Intel laptop.......w/e; they are not the only ones. Show "me” a benchmark/review that shows the Pentium dual cores beating the amd processors, i work with these laptops all day (well...half an hour really, then lunch break is over and i have to go back upstairs), and those Pentium’s can never catch the amd systems. Hell i give them a 20s head start for crying out loud; when i show customers this.....they always go for the faster system. The burden of proof is on you guys because you made the claims......so back it up!

Boissez
12-12-2009, 11:39 PM
...there is no all-day battery, unless you are using 12+ cell batteries? Most of the batteries are 6 cells so....i call BS. Loll oems make inflated claims about battery life as well, you will never get 8hrs (unless it is a big battery). That :banana::banana::banana::banana: is going to be fixed soon anyways, a family in Wisconsin is suing staples for false battery life claims on their Intel laptop.......w/e; they are not the only ones. Show "me” a benchmark/review that shows the Pentium dual cores beating the amd processors, i work with these laptops all day (well...half an hour really, then lunch break is over and i have to go back upstairs), and those Pentium’s can never catch the amd systems. Hell i give them a 20s head start for crying out loud; when i show customers this.....they always go for the faster system. The burden of proof is on you guys because you made the claims......so back it up!
IIRC you we're the one making claims about how :banana::banana::banana::banana:ty those pentiums were...

Concerning battery life:
http://techreport.com/articles.x/17637/7
7,5-9,5 hours with an 8-cell battery

Can't find any numbers concerning the mobile pentiums but we're talking about 65nm K8 vs 45nm core 2 (light) - This should give the general idea about how they fare against each other:
http://www.hardware.fr/medias/photos_news/00/27/IMG0027484.gif
source (http://www.hardware.fr/articles/778-14/comparatif-geant-131-processeurs-intel-amd.html)

Look for the pentium E5300 vs Athlon X2 5000 (both are 2,6 ghz and virtually identical to what you'd find in current bargain laptops - except those are clocked a little higher)

Hope this helps :)

Gurr
12-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Click here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2034940032%201039349573&name=AMD%20Turion%20II)

You really should keep up with the times in technology. Amd released their 45 nm for notebooks and it's quite competitive to the intel equivalents.