PDA

View Full Version : Are you an Imeem listener? Not anymore...

FlawleZ
12-08-2009, 12:13 PM
MySpace Music, a joint venture between MySpace and the major labels, completed a deal to acquire “certain assets” of the popular social networking site Imeem on Tuesday. Imeem is now offline. Various reports claimed the deal was done over the weekend, but MySpace Music CEO Owen Van Natta announced that the two companies only finalized the deal today.

So, what does MySpace Music have in store for imeem? According to Van Natta, MySpace Music plans to “leverage imeem’s industry leading technology” for starters, and “over time, meaningfully integrate their products into the MySpace Music experience.”

The entire imeem service has been removed from the internet, apparently due to a lawsuit from The Orchard (more on that below) that led to its acquisition by MySpace Music. The domain imeem.com now redirects to MySpace Music. Embedded imeem songs and playlists, including tens or hundreds I have posted on Wired.com, no longer load. Imeem CEO Dalton Caldwell, CTO Brian Berg, COO Ali Aydar and VP of Sales David Wade have signed on to MySpace Music as consultants to “help manage this transition.”

Of particular interest to MySpace Music — the ad-supported, on-demand music service not to be confused with MySpace’s band pages — are imeem’s 16 million worldwide users and its staff’s experience in building the first music service that allowed users to embed songs and playlists on third-party websites. MySpace Music also gets imeem’s SnoCap property — a large database of music, co-founded by Napster’s Shawn Fanning, that allows independent bands to sell music on imeem, MySpace and other sites through embeddable widgets.

Visitors to imeem.com are now redirected to MySpace Music (updated).

According to insiders, imeem, which was already struggling to cover its music licensing fees in a weak advertising market, was finally brought to its knees by a lawsuit from independent music consortium The Orchard that accused imeem of playing TVT Records’ music without the proper licensing. The lawsuit asked for the maximum penalty of $150,000 per infringed song; imeem apparently thought it had a case, but lacked the funds to pursue it.

You were fun while you lasted, imeem, rest in peace — although it looks like you’ll rest in pieces instead. Music fans now have one less legitimate place to go.

Source (http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/12/myspace-music-acquires-shutters-imeem/)

Hypediss
12-08-2009, 12:51 PM
i do... did now :T i have it on my htc magic and i use it to stream music.....

now i really needa get pandora :T augh

FlawleZ
12-08-2009, 01:34 PM
i do... did now :T i have it on my htc magic and i use it to stream music.....

now i really needa get pandora :T augh

Pandora is okay. Its really bad with ads now. But you still can't pick and choose the songs you want to hear on demand. Nor can you build a playlist of previously played songs. Pandora is an option but nowhere near a replacement.

This purchase pisses me off to be honest. Imeem was the only source I was aware of (besides lala) that I could have complete control over what I listen to without having to deal with a barrage of ads and clutter such as Myspace.

ethernal
12-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Pandora is okay. Its really bad with ads now. But you still can't pick and choose the songs you want to hear on demand. Nor can you build a playlist of previously played songs. Pandora is an option but nowhere near a replacement.

This purchase pisses me off to be honest. Imeem was the only source I was aware of (besides lala) that I could have complete control over what I listen to without having to deal with a barrage of ads and clutter such as Myspace.

Grooveshark? (http://grooveshark.com)

Russian
12-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Myspace sucks in all honesty. I really cant believe they acquired anyone.

Rock&Roll
12-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Myspace should be acquiring a financial life-raft. They must think imeem is it...

FlawleZ
12-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Grooveshark? (http://grooveshark.com)

Ah! I forgot about Grooveshark! Thanks!

Rock&Roll
12-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Thats the first I heard of groovesshark. The sound quality is better than I expected. Not great. Dynamics are obviously compressed. But the high end garble isn't as bad as most other mpeg audio. Best I've heard from net-radio so far.

m0da
12-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Love the title.

Hate its veracity.

FlawleZ
12-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Love the title.

Hate its veracity.

Good choice of words. Hot chicks in your avatar bro is that you?

m0da
12-09-2009, 02:36 PM
no doubt