PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Vs. wii

kylepaddock
12-06-2009, 06:44 PM
I guess I would put this here.

Ok I am going to get either a wii or a Xbox 360 for my family for xmas. Which is better?
Therir ages are 3,5,11,13,15,me(17) and 2 parents. Help would be great!!!!

zanzabar
12-06-2009, 07:18 PM
a ps3 would be better, unless u want to pirate games the 360 is not as good as the ps3 and the 360 has exclusive shooters and nothing else, so they souldent be on a console and arnt good for kids. were sony has a good mix and platformers/family games as well as shooters and adult games. then since u need a HDD for newer 360 games the ps3 and 360 are the same price @ $300 but u dont get wifi with the 360 unless u spend anouther $100. they both do netflix, facebook and twitter but if u have a computer with tversity installed the ps3 can steam content from almost every site like hulu or bbc and u can reencode 720P video on the fly and stream it over the network and it has a full web browser so if its a standard site with flash that dost block the ps3 (like hulu) it can nativly view it. the ps3 also has no fees so unlike the 360 u dont spend $10 a month for gaming, twiter, facebook and netflix (thats to beable to use netflix not the subscription.) i have a ps3 and a 360 i like the ps3 better

i would not get a wii as they have little to no games from 3rd parties, mario and wii sports only go so far

kylepaddock
12-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Can you have the PS3 have more than one person. i can find the Xbox for 150. i have friends that have losts off games ill just coppy. How mutch is games and the console for the PS3? can you play FPS games on it?

zanzabar
12-06-2009, 07:46 PM
the ps3 is great u cant share saves on different profiles but dlc goes for the whole console and not just the 1 profile, u can have 30 profiles i think per console at one time and u can have a PSN (play station network) accounts content on up to 5 consoles at the same time and u can revoke it and put it on anouther latter, there isnt a rediculous 1 console or logged on per account and u dont have to buy anything like a 1 time transfer kit for $20 if u need to change licenses to a new console or HDD like with the 360.

games on the ps3 are normally $30-60 (the same as the 360) but used games are normally $30-45 were the 360 runs $25-40. and u cant mod a ps3 to play copied games, so if u go legit or use online or media features then the ps3 is better.

for FPS i dont like them with controllers but killzone and mag are good, i like killzone over halo and uncharted over gears. but the geatness of the ps3 is ratchet and clank, GOW, and other platformers. EA is moving the console vershion of BC2 to the ps3 as the primary console and thats the next big FPS so that and mag u have the best fps console. if u look for a fat localy they should be cheap, gamstop has them for $200 so person to person u should beable to do $150 and that wont get a banned console and u wont need an HDD or wifi addapter like the 360.

this is kinda off topic but the 360 has been bothering me i got GH5 on the 360 and it lags in 1080p, i dont know how u lag in guitar hero but it dose

Machinus
12-06-2009, 07:48 PM
PC should take care of all your hi res games. Wii for girlfriend and multiplayer!!

kylepaddock
12-06-2009, 07:55 PM
I have a PC. What would be better for the younger kids?

zanzabar
12-06-2009, 08:00 PM
360 is not for kids. i would say ps3 unless they really want a wii

kylepaddock
12-06-2009, 08:04 PM
they have only plaid a wii. they like the sports. but i like fps along with the 15 year old.

zanzabar
12-06-2009, 08:07 PM
the wii dosnt have sports or fps (it has wii sports but thats not what i think that u meant)

kylepaddock
12-06-2009, 08:11 PM
no i ment wii sports, i jsut found cod4 for the wii i think im sold

zanzabar
12-06-2009, 08:14 PM
no i ment wii sports, i jsut found cod4 for the wii i think im sold

cod4 for the wii is fail, it makes people dizzy, go to game stop and try it before u get it based on that. and the wii wont see bad company 2 and thats going to be the next popular fps

IMO it comes down to do u like games if yes then no wii, then do u play online if so ps3, do u want to not play online and pirate games if so then 360 if not then ps3

kylepaddock
12-06-2009, 08:17 PM
I do online on the PC. would like walmart have cod4 for the wii to see?

zanzabar
12-06-2009, 08:20 PM
I do online on the PC. would like walmart have cod4 for the wii to see?

its over a year old so i doubt that they have a demo, gamestop or eb have demo consoles and u can ask them to put a game in. its nothing like the other consoles or the pc. if the motion controller is important sony with have theirs this spring and its like a wii controller but it uses the eye and a set of g sensors instead of an accelerometer

kylepaddock
12-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Ill probably get a wii and have my friend but cod4 for me to play on his xbox

Alec**
12-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Wii for some fun for all the family, 360 for more serious gaming.

kylepaddock
12-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Ya, im probably going to get a Wii for the fam and ill do serious gaming on my PC.

GTSRboy
12-07-2009, 12:04 PM
a PS3 is my fav console....BUT

you said this was for family, and the ages are low. I have a wii, 360, and PS3, and a family that likes to game and i guarentee you, the Wii is the best choice for family gaming

Get the Wii, save the money, makes it really easy for people to game, family based games that are alot of fun in that setting. My dad, mom, sister aunts, uncles, and grandmas has played the Wii and had fun but none have touched a 360 or PS3, even though i prefer them as a personal unit

Jimmer411
12-07-2009, 02:41 PM
360 by far. Ive had a wii since launch and have logged maybe 20 hours total on it since I owned it playing wii games. Most of that was to beat zelda, then about 30 mins of mario kart and smash bros (huge disillusionments, and Im a huge fan of both). I still keep my wii for my nephews and other family members that come over but everyone seems to have a total dislike for mario kart and wii sports.

You have 1 pre teen and 2 teenagers in your family. Why not see whats acceptable with your parents and go from there. As teenagers you will get more enjoyment out of the 360. 3 and 5 years old is old enough to break things, thats about it and wii motes break easy.

trekie86
12-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Wii is definitely the best for a family. I have a Wii & a PS3, my wife will only play the Wii, she isn't a gamer. Based on the number of people, the Wii is the best bet, they have some very fun party games, none are too hard and the price for a new game is less than the PS3 or 360.

RAW-Raptor22
12-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Ya, im probably going to get a Wii for the fam and ill do serious gaming on my PC.

Dude, listen to Zanzabar. Get the PS3. :p:

Lots of great family friendly games like Little Big Planet, and Ratchet and Clank, along with great FPS games like Killzone 2 and the Uncharted games (Uncharted being a very very good game). There is also the God of War series which is always epic (literally) and built in web browsing. The PS3 is a no brainer. Now use your brain and go get one. :)

kylepaddock
12-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Wii won. i got one for 150. I talked to some of my other friends and the said that for a family the wii is better.none of us have ever held a PS3 controller.

RAW-Raptor22
12-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Wii won. i got one for 150. I talked to some of my other friends and the said that for a family the wii is better.none of us have ever held a PS3 controller.

No offense but, Well that was dumb...

Basically the little purple lunchbox (GC) with a fancy controller, have fun with boredom when the gimmick wears of...

PS3 does so much more stuff, oh and the design of their controller has been tried and true since 1994 and it also has motion controls if that is important to you...

From your posts it seems like your mind was made up before you even made the thread. Thats sad.

Serpentarius
12-08-2009, 11:01 PM
1. wii for family interactive ...

2. xbox360 for personal gaming ...

3. ps3 for more good ol' rpg gaming ...

4. BUY ALL for Christmas

zanzabar
12-08-2009, 11:31 PM
1. wii for family interactive ...

2. xbox360 for personal gaming ...

3. ps3 for more good ol' rpg gaming ...

4. BUY ALL for Christmas

i see no use for a 360 unless u want copied games, i regret getting one. the ps3 on the other had seams to work better and has better media.

on the wii, did u see the motion controller for sony its now finalized by the fcc and they have it out this spring, so anything that nintendo has 3rd party with be in HD on the ps3 and then the better 1st party titles. the wii is nice for for rockband and GH though since its drm free dlc lets u take it places and share it. and if u plan to do any serious gaming with it make sure to pick up a classic controller and then the hombrue channel for the emus

Machinus
12-09-2009, 02:48 AM
gamecube has so many awesome games, you will have a lot of fun :)

Khoral
12-09-2009, 04:13 AM
a PS3 is my fav console....BUT

you said this was for family, and the ages are low. I have a wii, 360, and PS3, and a family that likes to game and i guarentee you, the Wii is the best choice for family gaming

Get the Wii, save the money, makes it really easy for people to game, family based games that are alot of fun in that setting. My dad, mom, sister aunts, uncles, and grandmas has played the Wii and had fun but none have touched a 360 or PS3, even though i prefer them as a personal unit
I totally agree with that.

Wii is a family console. No HD, no (serious) FPS, only multiplayer oriented games (New Super Mario seems cool btw). And you can easily play backups on it (only if you own the original game blablabla).
PS3 and XBox360 are more gamers console.
I'd say if you really like playing FPS with a controller, go for the 360. If you prefer action games or RPG, go for the PS3. Sports games are available on both (best example would be Forza on 360, Gran Turismo on PS3), fighting games too (Soulcalibur IV, Tekken 6 and so on).
Multiplayer is known to be better on 360 with the XBox Live being better than PSN, but I can't tell from experience, I only have a PS3 (and I like it).

on the wii, did u see the motion controller for sony its now finalized by the fcc and they have it out this spring, so anything that nintendo has 3rd party with be in HD on the ps3 and then the better 1st party titles.
Last time I saw Sony's motion controller, I was really disappointed :/ I saw the demo on Resident Evil, and the dude who was using the motion controller had to use a classic controller too (playing with both doesn't seem to be easy). Did that change ?

Scubar
12-09-2009, 04:24 AM
All 3 consoles are the best at each thing.

Xbox360 - Best games console for gaming ( Best game selection - Best online Capabilities )
PS3 - Best console to be used for media capabilities ( Best for Movies with Bluray and ability to use Linux on it )
Wii - Best console for family entertainment ( Quick and easy and good fun for family/group game activities )

kylepaddock
12-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Still the wii is Best for a family. i just dont like the PS3

RAW-Raptor22
12-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Still the wii is Best for a family. i just dont like the PS3

Not necessarily, you still havent explained why you hate the PS3 so much...

kylepaddock
12-09-2009, 04:56 PM
I have serious gamer frieds and they have chikdren of all ages and they have everything, they said that the wii is the best for a family with younger ages

GTSRboy
12-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Not necessarily, you still havent explained why you hate the PS3 so much...

you have to realise that hes strictly looking for a family console, its not a console wars discussion. I absolutly prefer the PS3 by a factor of 3 over 360 and Wii, but hes look for family system and the wii is best at that. PS3 is a home entertainment system, an adult toy, something for individuals, no family anywhere is going to sit down with a 360 or PS3, might as well ask grandmas you put on a headset and play Quake on LAN. The wii can be played by ANYONE, and not everyone can play little big planet. Infact, imagine how long it would take to explain to gradmas or mom how to a.) hold a PS3 controller b.) all the menus c.) the 30 buttons to press and combos....it aint gonna work. The wii is just pick up the controller and swing the bat.

All were stating is that the Wii is good for family non-gamers who dont care about 60fps 2xAA physics Blu ray, and just want to play some tennis in the living room

kylepaddock
12-09-2009, 09:40 PM
you have to realise that hes strictly looking for a family console, its not a console wars discussion. I absolutly prefer the PS3 by a factor of 3 over 360 and Wii, but hes look for family system and the wii is best at that. PS3 is a home entertainment system, an adult toy, something for individuals, no family anywhere is going to sit down with a 360 or PS3, might as well ask grandmas you put on a headset and play Quake on LAN

yep yep yep

RAW-Raptor22
12-10-2009, 12:42 AM
you have to realise that hes strictly looking for a family console, its not a console wars discussion. I absolutly prefer the PS3 by a factor of 3 over 360 and Wii, but hes look for family system and the wii is best at that. PS3 is a home entertainment system, an adult toy, something for individuals, no family anywhere is going to sit down with a 360 or PS3, might as well ask grandmas you put on a headset and play Quake on LAN. The wii can be played by ANYONE, and not everyone can play little big planet. Infact, imagine how long it would take to explain to gradmas or mom how to a.) hold a PS3 controller b.) all the menus c.) the 30 buttons to press and combos....it aint gonna work. The wii is just pick up the controller and swing the bat.

All were stating is that the Wii is good for family non-gamers who dont care about 60fps 2xAA physics Blu ray, and just want to play some tennis in the living room

I just hope for Kyle's sake that the gimmick doesn't wear off as soon as it usually does with the wii. The Wii is a trinket, a gimmick, a one trick pony...

zanzabar
12-10-2009, 01:14 AM
I just hope for Kyle's sake that the gimmick doesn't wear off as soon as it usually does with the wii. The Wii is a trinket, a gimmick, a one trick pony...

its one trick until u install the emulators and never play any wii games again

RAW-Raptor22
12-10-2009, 10:43 AM
its one trick until u install the emulators and never play any wii games again

If you want damned emulators download Project64... thats free... :p:

Jimmer411
12-10-2009, 02:00 PM

Kinda like the PS3 right?

RAW-Raptor22
12-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Kinda like the PS3 right?

How so?

Things PS3 does:

Blu-Ray
Great game library
Media extender
Internet browser
Motion controls
HD
Linux

The list goes on...

Wii:

Wonky motion control gimmick...

Looks like the Wii is the one trick pony...

zanzabar
12-10-2009, 02:40 PM
ps3 dosnt do linux unless its fat

kylepaddock
12-10-2009, 02:45 PM
i dont need internet and i dont need blueray. name one 4 player family friendly game for the ps3

Chumbucket843
12-10-2009, 02:52 PM
i think the wii is the best choice as a family console. you just cant enjoy chainsawing people in half in gears of war with family present;) if you decide on the other consoles i would go for 360 for gaming/online and ps3 for multimedia. i own both and they are both great, just 2 different experiences.

zanzabar
12-10-2009, 02:54 PM
i dont need internet and i dont need blueray. name one 4 player family friendly game for the ps3

little big planet, mod nation racers, and the rockband/guitar hero games for good 4 player im sure that there are more like the sports games but thats a given

i think the wii is the best choice as a family console. you just cant enjoy chainsawing people in half in gears of war with family present;) if you decide on the other consoles i would go for 360 for gaming/online and ps3 for multimedia. i own both and they are both great, just 2 different experiences.

what about madworld, and the 360 isnt good it was just out 1st, sure XBL has a larger population but they have worse games and the 360 lags in 1080P, the only thing that the 360 is good for i copied games be it on dvd or with the new usb loader

i just dont get the wii u get a zelda game thats ok at best every 2-3 years and u get a mario game and those were all bad until this current one.

kylepaddock
12-10-2009, 02:57 PM

Exactly.

Chris_redfield
12-10-2009, 03:47 PM
name one 4 player family friendly game for the ps3

Buzz, Singstar, Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Scene It, Motorstorm 2, Madagascar Karts plus there are all the downloadable titles.

Actually the PS3 does have a lot of content aimed at a wide variety of players.

Little Big Planet is awesome and my seven year old brother loves playing that game. There is also the Ratchett and Clank Series of games which are alright plus there are all the multiplatform childrens games that you get like the lego games which are available. Then for the older familiy members there is the Uncharted series (Uncharted 2 gets my vote for the best game of 2009,) and MGS4, then for the slightly older gamers again their are fun titles like Resistance 2 and Killzone 2.

With the PS3 there is also so much more that you can do with it than the 360, what with the Blu Ray player and the easy connectivity with the PSP (plus in the UK being able to use iPlayer is awesome.)

I like the 360 but I think the PS3 is a much more versatile console as you get so much more functionality with the PS3 and the majority of the 360's exclusive are aimed more at 15 to 18 year olds.

Avoid the Wii, the 3 and 5 year olds might enjoy it a lot but the rest of you will tire of what is essentially a back catelogue of minigames, poor fps titles, and the occasional decent game that is heavily let down by poor graphics or a control system that doesn't quite work. (And the wii isn't entirely family friendly, Mad World is one thing but has anyone here played House of the Dead Overkill.)

Alternatively, if you are looking to do this as cheaply as possible. PS2. My seven year old brother has a PS2 and a Wii and he spends most of his time on the PS2, it still has new games being released for it, if you get something like the eye toy you can have the novelty motion control that you get with the Wii, there are also family entertainment series like Buzz, all the major franchises appear on it like Guitar Hero and sing star, all the childrens movie tie in games still go to PS2, there are all the more adult themed games, like MGS, God of War, Yakuza for the older players and you get the bonus of games being dirt cheap for it. I still play on my PS2 today and pick up the occasional second hand title that I missed first time around.

I would whole heartidly recommend a PS2 over a Wii anyday.

RAW-Raptor22
12-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Buzz, Singstar, Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Scene It, Motorstorm 2, Madagascar Karts plus there are all the downloadable titles.

Actually the PS3 does have a lot of content aimed at a wide variety of players.

Little Big Planet is awesome and my seven year old brother loves playing that game. There is also the Ratchett and Clank Series of games which are alright plus there are all the multiplatform childrens games that you get like the lego games which are available. Then for the older familiy members there is the Uncharted series (Uncharted 2 gets my vote for the best game of 2009,) and MGS4, then for the slightly older gamers again their are fun titles like Resistance 2 and Killzone 2.

With the PS3 there is also so much more that you can do with it than the 360, what with the Blu Ray player and the easy connectivity with the PSP (plus in the UK being able to use iPlayer is awesome.)

I like the 360 but I think the PS3 is a much more versatile console as you get so much more functionality with the PS3 and the majority of the 360's exclusive are aimed more at 15 to 18 year olds.

Avoid the Wii, the 3 and 5 year olds might enjoy it a lot but the rest of you will tire of what is essentially a back catelogue of minigames, poor fps titles, and the occasional decent game that is heavily let down by poor graphics or a control system that doesn't quite work. (And the wii isn't entirely family friendly, Mad World is one thing but has anyone here played House of the Dead Overkill.)

Alternatively, if you are looking to do this as cheaply as possible. PS2. My seven year old brother has a PS2 and a Wii and he spends most of his time on the PS2, it still has new games being released for it, if you get something like the eye toy you can have the novelty motion control that you get with the Wii, there are also family entertainment series like Buzz, all the major franchises appear on it like Guitar Hero and sing star, all the childrens movie tie in games still go to PS2, there are all the more adult themed games, like MGS, God of War, Yakuza for the older players and you get the bonus of games being dirt cheap for it. I still play on my PS2 today and pick up the occasional second hand title that I missed first time around.

I would whole heartidly recommend a PS2 over a Wii anyday.

Totally and completely agreed. Post of the thread. Thank you. :up:

The PS3 is also backwards compatible with the PS2 and PS so you have literally 1000s of games available...

kylepaddock
12-10-2009, 04:34 PM
You guys are going off topic!!!! I made up my mind either the Xbox or the Wii no PS3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RAW-Raptor22
12-10-2009, 04:42 PM
You guys are going off topic!!!! I made up my mind either the Xbox or the Wii no PS3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because you are being inept and closed minded. The PS3 is (forgive the Hannah Montana reference), the best of both worlds...

kylepaddock
12-10-2009, 04:43 PM
I dont give a dam

RAW-Raptor22
12-10-2009, 04:44 PM
I dont give a dam

Like the one at Berryessa?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/46/Monticello_dam_from_the_viewpoint.jpg

Machinus
12-10-2009, 04:48 PM
gamecube has some of the best games ever. and with wii you can access the retro nintendo library. there are too many games for one person to even play

Chris_redfield
12-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Sorry man.

I actually mean that as you seem to be on a budget the best system for you would be the PS2 out of everything available. But if its between the wii and the 360 go for the wii. Just because the wii has super smash bros brawl and mario kart, whilst there aren't any split screen four player family games that jump to mind for the 360.

The thing about the wii though is that actually the best games on it (Super Mario Galaxy, Paper Mario,) and the more interesting games (Deadly Creatures, Cursed Mountain, Dead Space Extraction, Mad World) are mainly single player affairs and not always aimed at younger players. The four player family affairs tend to be generic party game nonsense that you play for half an hour then quickly become bored. If you wanted to be picky you could even accuse the good four player games, like Super Smash Bros, The New Super Mario Bros Wii, and Mario Kart as being generic as they are just the latest iteration of long standing series with little graphical or control improvement over the previous installments (I actually use the gamecube pads wherever possible just because the wii-mote is just not accurate enough and has caused me enough frustration that I fear I may now suffer from a heart attack at an early age. The fact that Nintendo has had to release an add on for the wii-mote in order to improve the control not only highlights the fact that nintendo acknowledge how rubbish their controllers are, but also that Nintendo are aware of how naive their target demographic is by charging them extra for the upgrade.)

The Wii is the biggest dissapointment that I have ever had as a console owner. But as a choice between the 360 and the Wii for your desired uses, I would go with the wii. See if you can get the black limited edition one because that comes with the motion plus. Also be aware that it will also cost you a small fortune to get extra controllers because you have to buy the wii-mote, the nun chuck AND the motion plus taking the cost of the controller to around £50-£60. So buying an additional three controllers might see the cost of the console doubling. I'd recommend looking into getting some second hand game cube controllers instead. If you want them to be wireless controllers see if you can hunt down a wave bird.

RAW-Raptor22
12-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Sorry man.

I actually mean that as you seem to be on a budget the best system for you would be the PS2 out of everything available. But if its between the wii and the 360 go for the wii. Just because the wii has super smash bros brawl and mario kart, whilst there aren't any split screen four player family games that jump to mind for the 360.

The thing about the wii though is that actually the best games on it (Super Mario Galaxy, Paper Mario,) and the more interesting games (Deadly Creatures, Cursed Mountain, Dead Space Extraction, Mad World) are mainly single player affairs and not always aimed at younger players. The four player family affairs tend to be generic party game nonsense that you play for half an hour then quickly become bored. If you wanted to be picky you could even accuse the good four player games, like Super Smash Bros, The New Super Mario Bros Wii, and Mario Kart as being generic as they are just the latest iteration of long standing series with little graphical or control improvement over the previous installments (I actually use the gamecube pads wherever possible just because the wii-mote is just not accurate enough and has caused me enough frustration that I fear I may now suffer from a heart attack at an early age. The fact that Nintendo has had to release an add on for the wii-mote in order to improve the control not only highlights the fact that nintendo acknowledge how rubbish their controllers are, but also that Nintendo are aware of how naive their target demographic is by charging them extra for the upgrade.)

The Wii is the biggest dissapointment that I have ever had as a console owner. But as a choice between the 360 and the Wii for your desired uses, I would go with the wii. See if you can get the black limited edition one because that comes with the motion plus. Also be aware that it will also cost you a small fortune to get extra controllers because you have to buy the wii-mote, the nun chuck AND the motion plus taking the cost of the controller to around £50-£60. So buying an additional three controllers might see the cost of the console doubling. I'd recommend looking into getting some second hand game cube controllers instead. If you want them to be wireless controllers see if you can hunt down a wave bird.

:up:

This entire thread was foolish...

Jimmer411
12-11-2009, 03:09 AM
How so?

Things PS3 does:

Blu-Ray
Great game library
Media extender
Internet browser
Motion controls
HD
Linux

The list goes on...

Wii:

Wonky motion control gimmick...

Looks like the Wii is the one trick pony...

Thats why I was pushing the 360.

I dont wanna turn this into a console war, Im a fan of all the systems to an extent. But right now the only thing PS3 has going for it is blu-ray, which at $300 is a bit expensive and ugly to be sitting on my media rack with BD players coming down in price.

There are 2-3 good exclusives on the ps3, everything else is available on the 360 for the most part, the controller is horrible for racing and fps games as well.

Who buys a console to browse the internet?

Motion sensing is a joke no matter who does it. Id rather not look like Im spanking it or having a seizure.

Machinus
12-11-2009, 03:30 AM
games make the console guys :) and the nintendo library is at least as good as anyone elses at a much lower price

zanzabar
12-11-2009, 03:46 AM

I dont wanna turn this into a console war, Im a fan of all the systems to an extent. But right now the only thing PS3 has going for it is blu-ray, which at $300 is a bit expensive and ugly to be sitting on my media rack with BD players coming down in price.

There are 2-3 good exclusives on the ps3, everything else is available on the 360 for the most part, the controller is horrible for racing and fps games as well.

Motion sensing is a joke no matter who does it. Id rather not look like Im spanking it or having a seizure.

the ps3 controller is better than the 360 in every way, sony used 2 springs per axis so there is no dead space and less degradation (my 360's right trigger is so broken over a year of light use that it takes nothing to press it and i cant rest my finger on it now) and the finger position of the trigger is lower so u can use the front buttons (r1/l1) without being a hand contortionist. then the price a 360 is $300 if u want the HDD that is mandatory now since multi disk games need it and they are going to be almost all AAA games on multu disk next year, but then u need $50-60 a year of internet then $100 for wifi and the xbl prices are higher than psn. and the 360 has bad fps what do u want to play halo or killzone and mag (not that controllers and fps are a good combo)

i have both the 360 and the ps3, the ps3 is better but there are some games that are ported bad, but with EA, eidios and AV and changing the ps3 to the primary platform that is stopping and with good games the ps3 is better (like darksiders, brutal legends and dontes inferno, all domed on the ps3 and not the 360.) and the internet is nice, streaming video content is the primary use since the browser sucks for everything except flash but its still nice

the only reason for the 360 is if u find a used one and do the jtag usb loader or flash it to play copies.

Chris_redfield
12-11-2009, 04:27 AM
games make the console guys :) and the nintendo library is at least as good as anyone elses at a much lower price

I agree but the Wii has the worse library out of the current generation of consoles. Nintendo are creatively stunted at the moment and haven't released a new ip since Pikmin on the gamecube (and they are so bereft of creativity at the moment you can buy the remake of Pikmin for the Wii.) That means in eight years Nintendo have done nothing whilst Sony has given us, the God of War series, the Killzone Series, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Calling all Cars The Uncharted series. Sony have also been more creative in the hand held department as well, rather than releasing another Mario spin off, a new Wario Ware or a Pokemon game that utilises two screens, sony have introduced Loco Roco and Patapon, two very unique and quirky titles that are charming and a joy to play.

I know that some of the games that I listed above are PS2 titles and not PS3, but that just goes to show how long Nintendoes creatvity has been stale. With the Heavy Rain, MAG and the Last Guardian heading towards the PS3 whilst Nintendo ready themselves for Super Mario Galaxy 2 Sony have definately shown themselves to be far more creative than the Big N who designed a system around motion controll after seeing the success of Sony's eye toy. At the end of the day though, imo neither the 360 or the Wii have a single title that is as exhillerating, funny or as pretty as Uncharted 2.

And as I already mentioned the Wii isn't that cheap either if you want to buy extra wii-motes for it you have to shell out over three times the amount of a bog standard wired 360 pad. Want to download a load of stuff of the internet, you have to by a memory card, you want to connect up to the internet using an ethernet cable as opposed to wireless so as to ensure that you connection doesn't keep cutting out, you have to spend even more money for that add on.

The 360 is also a cheaper base unit than the Wii as well if you get the arcade model.

Lets face it the Wii is a gamecube with rubbish motion controlls that Nintendo only brought out because shops were no longer carrying the gamecube and Nintendo needed a system fast or else they were going to go the same way as Sega.

Machinus
12-11-2009, 05:27 AM
well maybe its just me but all the real action and serious games i'd rather just play on the pc :(

the gamecube library was awesome IMO, and since you can access n64 and SNES from the virtual console, technically the wii is backwards compatible with the last 3 gens of games. thats quite a lot of games, and they are more than likely better to play with people in the room with you than the more serious games. if youre going to play those you generally want to go online anyway, and then you have to wonder why you aren't using steam or battle net...nintendo doesn't have very many mature/older shooters and games like that, but i do think its fair to say the pc multiplayer/online environment is better in so many ways, and the pc has some pretty tough competition when it comes to game quality. i think nintendo is quite smart in not making these games, because the other two consoles are just poor pc clones that suffer from a lot of lock-in and gouging issues, and dont do well at all in comparisons to home PC gaming.

nintendo's wii games haven't been outstanding compared to the best titles we have on PC...but who has time to play them anyway? the home console doesn't really work as a subpar PC, it's supposed to be a more accessible gaming environment for people, which is why the wii is kicking the :banana::banana::banana::banana: out of the other two consoles

Chris_redfield
12-11-2009, 06:28 AM
I don't fully understand what you are trying to say.

I take it that you are implying that Sony and Microsoft are trying to replace the PC and that the majority of titles that appear on the PS3 are sub par PC mimics that rely on online multiplayer in order to succeed. This is nonsense, and you could certainly accuse the 360 of this what with its Halo franchise but, Halo has split screen four player modes anyway, and I have spent just as much time with friends playing split screen Halo before a night out as I have done Mario Kart.

Of the original series that Sony has brought out since the IP drought of Nintendo only one of those is a traditional FPS and thats Killzone. The only online centred FPS is MAG and thats not out yet. As you have pointed out Nintendo's wii titles haven't been outstanding compared to the best titles on the PC, but they haven't been great compared to anything. The PS3 or the 360 aren't trying to be a subpar PC. They are just trying to bring gaming into the living room and the couch as opposed to the desk and work chair. And saying 'no one has time to play long PC games,' is no excuse to keep publishing the same title again and again. Have you ever played Loco Roco or Patapon on the PSP? What about Little Big Planet on the PS3? Or Calling All Cars? These are simple, fun titles, that are original. The PC also has a huge share of titles that people can dip in and out of such as Braid, and Peggle (the hours I have lost to Peggle!) You are just making excuses for lazy game development.

The only reason why the Wii is selling so well is because it is a novelty that can tap into a wider market. It was also considerably cheaper than the PS3 and the 360 were when the Wii was first launched, so a lot of people who already owned a PC, or 360 or a PS3 were willing to look to the wii as a second console. But it is one that people get bored of quickly, and actually the average number of games owned by PS3 owners is higher than Wii owners. (360 has the highest tie ratio though.) So, whilst the wii hardware maybe selling well, the number of games that people are willing to buy is lower, because there just aren't that many that are worth buying in a market saturated by mindless party games.

And whilst the Wii is selling well thanks to Nintendo's newly discovered market, just because something appeals to the lowest common denominator, doesn't mean that its better.

Machinus
12-11-2009, 07:58 AM
psp is terrible :(

i would never play a console when i have a keyboard and mouse and just plain better games on the PC. better graphics, more players, better distribution...valve and blizzard have no equals on any other platform. wii is great for casual gaming = cleaning up the market.

and its debatable if halo is a good game, im not sure why one would say that

kylepaddock
12-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Ok stop going off topic. I made up my mind either a xbox or a wii NO PS3!!! I want to just play family games. I do gaming on my gaming rig.

Chris_redfield
12-11-2009, 08:48 AM
Granted the PSP does have its flaws, the analogue stick isn't that great on the 3000 and don't even get me started about the distribution method of the Go, but Loco Roco and Patapon are still incredible titles (bypassing the flawed analogue stick by using just a few of the systems buttons.) As you said earlier in your argument for the wii the games make the system and there are plenty of gems to be found on the PSP.

Your argument for why the PS3 and the 360 aren't very good seems to be because the PC has such a good controll method, better graphics and better distribution why would I want to play anything else? This is fairly narrow minded because there are a massive amount of exclusives that you'll be missing out on.

PC game distribution is actually fairly poor outside of the digital download sector. Half the time if I walk into Game or Gamestation they will not be carrying the PC title that I want and I will have to order it off the internet. Granted, Steam is a great service but for the new titles like MW2 and Borderlands, it turns out more expensive to buy through steam most of the time and I don't end up with a physical copy. The best thing about steam is the high level of independent and casual games that appear on the service.

I also find it ironic that you champion the control method of the PC to the PS3 and the 360 when the Wii-mote is one of the most inaccurate pieces of hardware I have ever come across. And for some games I actually spend an equal amount of time calibrating the thing as to playing the game. And whilst the keyboard and mouse is the best control method for FPS and RTS titles, it actually really sucks for beat em ups and racing games, and its my personal preference for a platformer to use a pad.

In terms of graphics the way that things are going with games being developed with the consoles in mind, with a lot of titles you are luck if you get to adjust resolution and fiddle with AA. When a PC game looks good it looks incredible. But the same thing goes for consoles with Uncharted 2 being the most beautiful game I have ever seen and Killzone 2 having the best character models.

So if all you really want to do is play FPS and RTS games, plus the occasional casual title that you may as well download from steam why even bother with the Wii? You'll be perfectly happy with just the PC and its triple AAA blockbuster exclusives like Crysis and Company of Heroes and Spore and... oh those all those awesome MMO's as well.

With regards to Halo if we are measuring success in sales like you are with the Wii, then its an incredible game.

EDIT: Sorry, this is my last post. As I said previously out of the 360 and the Wii go for the Wii. I wasn't trying to push the PS3 on you, my argument is that the PS3 and the 360 are not meant as PC replacements and should not be seen as sub-par when compared to the PC as they have different titles and used in a different environment.

GTSRboy
12-11-2009, 09:38 AM

This post was like the pearl harbor for PS3, and congress has just voted we go into a console war

Here is a condensed version of my rebuttal

-Noise, the PS3 is dead silent, and the my 360 is like a freight train, and when watching movies, games, music, the PS3 is always the one i pick for that if i can.

-controller, PS3 has bluetooth meaning i can put the PS3 behind my LCD, and the xbox cant be behind the TV because the controller loses signal. Infact if you lean the wrong way the controller loses signal. PS3 is always connected

-wireless, i have no internet for my XBOX since the nearest ethernet jack is 100 ft away downstairs. After owning a xbox for years, its SUCH relif to just connect wirelessly anywhere and not worry about tripping over cables running all through a house

-blu ray, Its a big deal for me. Not a gimmik. All xbox owners will eventually have to go out a buy one

-hard drive, i cant upgrade my xbox hard drive because it costs so much. Where as the PS3 just pop a laptop HDD into it and your done. Really annoys me

-PS3 looks ALOT better and more professional. The PS3's OS is ALOT more professional where as the xbox NXE looks perfect for a 13 year old

-PS3 is twice as powerful, and has 25GB disks for more game content (Details really)

-games, the tables have, or are turning for games. For me, xbox no longer leads in games really. Forza 3 is all i own for xbox, i so badly wish they had made it for PS3
--------------------------------------------------------

you will eventually come to the dark side.

Michowski
12-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Im getting all 3 because each of em have something I like. I got the wii to play all the old nintendo games and maybe even a few new releases. I got 360 to play online with all my friends. Im getting ps3 because they have a few game series like god of war that I really got into and want to continue. Between the 360 and ps3 I cant say a negative about either. For what they were both designed for they do excellent. The wii I would say is the one trick pony. To me it got old after a day lol.

GTSRboy
12-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Ps3ps3ps3ps3......ps3ps3ps3ps3.........ps3ps3ps3ps 3
Ps3.........3ps3......ps3p........................ ...........s3ps3
Ps3p................................s3ps3......... ............s3ps3
Ps3p....................ps3ps3ps3ps3.........ps3ps 3ps3ps3
Ps3p....................ps3ps3ps3ps3.........ps3ps 3ps3ps3

zanzabar
12-11-2009, 02:04 PM
psp is terrible :(

i would never play a console when i have a keyboard and mouse and just plain better games on the PC. better graphics, more players, better distribution...valve and blizzard have no equals on any other platform. wii is great for casual gaming = cleaning up the market.

and its debatable if halo is a good game, im not sure why one would say that

the psp is great, just not for gaming (or atleast not for psp games), and the ps3 has mouse and keyboard but they have to enable it in games and since controler monkeys complain i dont think that it will be out there for a long time (killzone has support but it was disabled affter complaints)

Ok stop going off topic. I made up my mind either a xbox or a wii NO PS3!!! I want to just play family games. I do gaming on my gaming rig.

you put wii, 360 or other, the ps3 is the best choice on all fronts. if u had a poll in a cpu section saying sould i get an ecs, or asrock, but then an asus, gigbyte, dfi, and evga were all in the same price range u would get the same thing. then wouldent u want the console that supports the most games that dont go on the PC and the most family games, the wii has a bunch of reskined mario party and things that are bad then 3 or 4 good games and for those u use a classic controller and not the motion controller, but the ps3 has the most games that family appropriate and good.

kylepaddock
12-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Yes i just wanted a statement for (other) not a WWIII

RAW-Raptor22
12-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Yes i just wanted a statement for (other) not a WWIII

There are more family games for PS3 than X360. You would be retarded not to judge each console on its own merits...

F*** what your stupida** friends told you...

GTSRboy
12-12-2009, 01:20 AM
woah woah lets all take a deep breath before a mod comes in and lays down the law

the PS3 and Wii are not competitors, simple as that, (for the most part) nobody is out there deciding between a wii and PS3, totally different buyers

Piotrsama
12-12-2009, 09:54 AM
The PS3 fanboyism is strong in this one:

The PS3 is a no brainer. Now use your brain and go get one. :)

No offense but, Well that was dumb...

PS3 does so much more stuff, oh and the design of their controller has been tried and true since 1994 and it also has motion controls if that is important to you...

From your posts it seems like your mind was made up before you even made the thread. Thats sad.

Things PS3 does:
Internet browser

Opera for the Wii, rings a bell?

Because you are being inept and closed minded.

This entire thread was foolish...

There are more family games for PS3 than X360. You would be retarded not to judge each console on its own merits...

F*** what your stupida** friends told you...
Yeah!!! Insult him and his friends, that's really gonna convince him.
:ROTF:

kylepaddock
12-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Ya, i am not getting a ps3 this was the difference between the xbox and the wii

RAW-Raptor22
12-12-2009, 01:48 PM
The PS3 fanboyism is strong in this one:

Opera for the Wii, rings a bell?

Yeah!!! Insult him and his friends, that's really gonna convince him.
:ROTF:

Ahahaha. I actually own a 360, but in this comparison a PS3 was a no brainer, and him not including it is the most inept thing I have heard in a long time...

Sorry if I looked like an ass... ;)

Chumbucket843
12-12-2009, 08:22 PM
i found the opposite to be true. PSN is absolutely horrible where i live, even for being free. it is so bad that my friend can not update his firmware with out timing out so he basically has no mulitplayer.

zanzabar
12-12-2009, 10:31 PM
i found the opposite to be true. PSN is absolutely horrible where i live, even for being free. it is so bad that my friend can not update his firmware with out timing out so he basically has no mulitplayer.

dose he have a broken firmware, and u can go to sony's site and get the firmware and drop it on a memory stick.

i like how psn has a bunch of free stuff, IE little big planet has a whole array of free user maps. MS never gives anything and when the halo map maker came out it wasnt put on live and u have to use the computer to get maps

GTSRboy
12-13-2009, 12:34 AM
I think the xbox online situation is a tad bit hugely overrated...all i get is tards online with Halo or Forza. I absoltly hate "points" system and how overpriced everything is, and i hate the tacky 12 year old looking OS they use.

I prefer the PS3 online, lots of free stuff and much more organized, but that's just me

Xello
12-13-2009, 09:01 AM
I don't agree with it but this is still funny:

http://img.4chan.org/b/src/1260652448990.jpg

RAW-Raptor22
12-13-2009, 11:19 AM
I don't agree with it but this is still funny:

http://img.4chan.org/b/src/1260652448990.jpg

404 :(

zanzabar
12-13-2009, 01:37 PM
here is why the wii is bad and the ps3 is the best, just look at meta, ps3 is the best platform then the pc then 360 then the psp then the DS then last the wii
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2009/12/ds_and_wii_years_worst_platforms
http://features.metacritic.com/features/2009/the-best-games-of-2009/

kylepaddock
12-13-2009, 01:49 PM
But this is for a family with young children

zanzabar
12-13-2009, 02:04 PM
But this is for a family with young children

and, the wii has all but 3 or 4 games that are crap and the ps3 has plenty of family stuff. the wii is all marketing

RAW-Raptor22
12-13-2009, 02:56 PM
and, the wii has all but 3 or 4 games that are crap and the ps3 has plenty of family stuff. the wii is all marketing

Agreed. And looking at the list of PS3 games that are rated 85 or above metascore:

Over half are family, racing, or sports games. I played NFL GameDay and Gran Turismo on my original PlayStation at 5 years old... I was damn good at it too...

Family games are common on PS3, and are much better than the titles on the Wii. Games like LBP, Ratchet and Clank, CC. Sure there are more 'family' titles on the Wii, but the PS3 ones are better. Would you rather have 10 6oz top sirloin steaks, or 48 6oz dog turds and 2 6oz sirloin steaks...

The rest are mostly action/adventure games (like the best game of 2009, Uncharted 2) and would suit anyone over the age of 10 or 12. :)

There are also games for you and the 15yo like Killzone II, the new GoW, AS2, and RE5.

GTSRboy
12-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Let me ask you this: Has your gradma, mom, uncle, aunt or sister ever had fun on a PS3 or XBOX 360?

for me, no. They play them for 2 seconds, then are done, and dont like it. Same with N64, no interest.

however, the Wii has created a huge amount of fun in out house, my sisters friends play it, my grandmas played it and was having fun, my mom and dad are fairly active with wii tennis. My aunt and uncle visted with their 12 year old daugher, and they all loved bowling and boxing. i HATE wii music, but my entire family was bonkers over it pretending to play interments and all.

When your telling this guy to get PS3, thats like telling somone looking for a good daily driver to buy an Ferrari F430

Jimmer411
12-13-2009, 08:14 PM
This post was like the pearl harbor for PS3, and congress has just voted we go into a console war

Here is a condensed version of my rebuttal

-Noise, the PS3 is dead silent, and the my 360 is like a freight train, and when watching movies, games, music, the PS3 is always the one i pick for that if i can.

-controller, PS3 has bluetooth meaning i can put the PS3 behind my LCD, and the xbox cant be behind the TV because the controller loses signal. Infact if you lean the wrong way the controller loses signal. PS3 is always connected

-wireless, i have no internet for my XBOX since the nearest ethernet jack is 100 ft away downstairs. After owning a xbox for years, its SUCH relif to just connect wirelessly anywhere and not worry about tripping over cables running all through a house

-blu ray, Its a big deal for me. Not a gimmik. All xbox owners will eventually have to go out a buy one

-hard drive, i cant upgrade my xbox hard drive because it costs so much. Where as the PS3 just pop a laptop HDD into it and your done. Really annoys me

-PS3 looks ALOT better and more professional. The PS3's OS is ALOT more professional where as the xbox NXE looks perfect for a 13 year old

-PS3 is twice as powerful, and has 25GB disks for more game content (Details really)

-games, the tables have, or are turning for games. For me, xbox no longer leads in games really. Forza 3 is all i own for xbox, i so badly wish they had made it for PS3
--------------------------------------------------------

you will eventually come to the dark side.

Strong points.

I want the desire to own a PS3. The PS1 and PS2 had a huge library of AAA titles on them. Ive got no problem waiting for more games to come out, which is why I just recently purchased a 360 rather than at launch and have yet to purchase a PS3.

The main selling points of the PS3 for me were PS2 backwards compatibility and bluray, one of which has been removed in the later versions of the consoles and specifically the one that has my eye (PS3 slim). The main thing I was holding out for on the PS3 was for the price to drop to a reasonable $300> range and GT5 to come out. Since one of the main features I was looking for was removed and GT5 is pretty much vaporware at this point I decided to look else ware and picked up a 360 and Forza 3 amd about a dozen other games that Ive been wanting to play.

Wireless is a matter of preference, personally I hate wireless internet with a passion. Live is interesting to an extent, atleast for updates and DLC. Honestly online multiplayer is dead to me, I have had zero interest in it for several years. Coop or a good singleplayer is all Im interested in. Ill stick to system link and splitscreen for my MP fix, since getting your ass beat is the best anti-cheat method available.

It doesn't matter if the PS3 is 50x more powerful than the 360 if nobody is using it.

For now Im in the market for a $150> Bluray player and holding my breath in hopes that the PS4 is more developer friendly and backwards compatible.

zanzabar
12-13-2009, 08:53 PM
u should pick up a used ps3 fat, u can get one for $175-200 and they are one of the best blue ray players, and the fat is better then the slim the fat dose linux and some of them do ps2 but u ether get the low watt unit or ps2 compatibility

i honestly dont get the 360 i have one and a ps3 (i got it when it was $100 at walmart) it sucks becouse i wanted forza, too human and the square games but then it turns out that u need the HDD for forza and the square games and thats another $100. it just seams like a money pit, so its a ripoff unless u want to copy games. and the 360 cant play guitar hero on 1080p

RAW-Raptor22
12-13-2009, 08:58 PM
u should pick up a used ps3 fat, u can get one for $175-200 and they are one of the best blue ray players, and the fat is better then the slim the fat dose linux and some of them do ps2 but u ether get the low watt unit or ps2 compatibility

i honestly dont get the 360 i have one and a ps3 (i got it when it was $100 at walmart) it sucks becouse i wanted forza, too human and the square games but then it turns out that u need the HDD for forza and the square games and thats another $100. it just seams like a money pit, so its a ripoff unless u want to copy games. and the 360 cant play guitar hero on 1080p

I know I would rather have PS1 and PS2 compatibility myself, removing the PS2 compatibility was the stupidest thing Sony could have done...

At least have a software emulator, its not that hard...

Let me ask you this: Has your gradma, mom, uncle, aunt or sister ever had fun on a PS3 or XBOX 360?

for me, no. They play them for 2 seconds, then are done, and dont like it. Same with N64, no interest.

however, the Wii has created a huge amount of fun in out house, my sisters friends play it, my grandmas played it and was having fun, my mom and dad are fairly active with wii tennis. My aunt and uncle visted with their 12 year old daugher, and they all loved bowling and boxing. i HATE wii music, but my entire family was bonkers over it pretending to play interments and all.

When your telling this guy to get PS3, thats like telling somone looking for a good daily driver to buy an Ferrari F430

My dad has fun with pretty much anything, especially racing games and tactical shooters. My mom likes playing PGA Tour and Top Spin Tennis on my 360, and my sister (11 years old) likes playing DDR, Guitar Hero, PGR and even Forza. She is pretty good at Halo too... :p:

My uncle and grandpa enjoy watching my dad play BF2 on his PC, sure its different than playing along but I dont have a bunch of controllers for my Xbox anyways..

Piotrsama
12-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Let me ask you this: Has your grandma, mom, uncle, aunt or sister ever had fun on a PS3 or XBOX 360?

for me, no. They play them for 2 seconds, then are done, and don't like it. Same with N64, no interest.

however, the Wii has created a huge amount of fun in out house, my sisters friends play it, my grandmas played it and was having fun, my mom and dad are fairly active with wii tennis. My aunt and uncle visited with their 12 year old daughter, and they all loved bowling and boxing. i HATE wii music, but my entire family was bonkers over it pretending to play interments and all.

When your telling this guy to get PS3, thats like telling someone looking for a good daily driver to buy an Ferrari F430

That's the point here, it's for the family and people who usually don't play nor really like traditional consoles.
Hence, my vote goes for the Wii.