PDA

View Full Version : Laing

Weevil
12-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Why doesn't Laing just make a better top for their pumps? It's not rocket science, and I'm sure they have the means to do it. Seems funny that the top that comes with the pump, sucks (well, maybe not sucks, but not as good as other ones), don't they know that?

JoeBar
12-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Have u visited their corporate site? The aren't a hw enthusiast company... ;)

NaeKuh
12-04-2009, 02:45 PM
because laing is not out for bling, there an industrial company.

If they catered to us, they would be called Aquatunning Laing.
And ud have to pay then 10 cents each time u used there name. :rofl:

Conumdrum
12-04-2009, 02:48 PM
I'd be thankful they make a pump used worldwide by the millions probably that just happens to suit us 5000 pumps a year purchased for watercooling. Could be less or more, I dunno.

And thank the ingenuety and 'make a buck myself' attitude of the pump top makers.

shazza
12-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Agree with Conundrum. A bit Off Topic, but just how many people do you guys think are into water cooling? As in, how many Liquid Cooled rigs do you think are in use today ( not counting the ones NaeKuh and I have sitting in pieces)?

Weevil
12-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Good point Shazza, I'm the only one I personally know that water cools PC's, and I know A LOT of people.

Seems it wouldn't cost them much to slightly alter the mold for the top to reflect the after market ones and get more bang for the specs.

And I'm very thankful for all the folks that do think of us, and make these after market tops.

dejanh
12-04-2009, 03:40 PM
I don't think there is that many people that water cool their computers. I am the only person out of all of my group of friends and acquaintances that water cools the comp.

Metric
12-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Why doesn't Laing just make a better top for their pumps? It's not rocket science, and I'm sure they have the means to do it. Seems funny that the top that comes with the pump, sucks (well, maybe not sucks, but not as good as other ones), don't they know that?
Also, another reason I believe is that the current design is more compact - the tubing for the inlet & outlet is only being routed in a single plane (horizontal), rather than the two seen with aftermarket tops. Also since the general audience that the pumps are marketed towards probably favor the small footprint and compactness than overall performance.

Weevil
12-04-2009, 04:32 PM
I wonder what other applications would make use of a ddc or a d5?

Hondacity
12-04-2009, 04:50 PM
@post1

laing has a top inlet top for the ddc series...it came out recently...dangerden offered it ..dunno if they still do..i'm sure with the top inlet they were catering to a specific market for it.

also laing came out with the 3.25s because the 350s were easily converted to 355s...why? blame martin LOL

NaeKuh
12-04-2009, 06:04 PM

solar water heaters use D5.

Weevil
12-04-2009, 06:19 PM
solar water heaters use D5.

Would a D5 be able to pump the water up to a roof top where to hoses would have to be? that's a lot of head huh?

Serpentarius
12-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Would a D5 be able to pump the water up to a roof top where to hoses would have to be? that's a lot of head huh?

1200liters/hour or 20 liters/min (take a pail with 20 litre capacity and fill in it within 1 minute)

i read that european solar water heater contractors normally use laing products for contracting

but according to here, this German company, Laing was taken over by the US company, ITT
http://contractormag.com/hydronics/itt-to-buy-laing-0416/

maybe in future, we might have better Laing D5 products catered for enthusiast? :D:up:

Laine
12-04-2009, 07:53 PM
but according to here, this German company, Laing was taken over by the US company, ITT
http://contractormag.com/hydronics/itt-to-buy-laing-0416/

maybe in future, we might have better Laing D5 products catered for enthusiast? :D:up:
Hmm, ITT Flygt has a gigant office building and manufacturing of large marine pumps here in Emmaboda, Sweden.
At least half of the town works there, maybe I could ask them about the usage of their pumps in LC PC-systems and if they could deliver a batch with tops better suited for PC-usage.

_G_
12-04-2009, 08:05 PM

I think the first ddc's where used in the liquid cooled powermac G5's,
they had a spring loaded expansion chamber that made the base slightly taller

BrokenArrow
12-05-2009, 11:42 AM
I think the first ddc's where used in the liquid cooled powermac G5's,
they had a spring loaded expansion chamber that made the base slightly taller

You are correct. I was about to post the same info.

Weevil
12-05-2009, 12:16 PM
You are correct. I was about to post the same info.

Ahh, so they were designed for PC cooling...wonder why they kept making them after that then? And, why they didn't make a better top. ; )

BrokenArrow
12-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Ahh, so they were designed for PC cooling...wonder why they kept making them after that then? And, why they didn't make a better top. ; )

Not PC cooling, but MAC cooling. :DThe top was correct for the watercooled MAC's configuration and met the functional requirements.