PDA

View Full Version : I think my 280 GTX is blowing up..

fiskov
12-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Ok, this basically started about 2 months ago, but has been getting progressively worse..

Whenever i boot the PC from from cold (or over an hour since shutdown), get into a game (can be anything) I get the following..

http://home.btconnect.com/fiskov/images/error.jpg

When it does this the PC crashes, the sound loops and the image flickers these bright colours (like the one above).
Everytime it happens the crashed image is different, sometimes only half the screen, sometimes a 1/3 and every colour under the rainbow is used.

BUT!

What is strange about this? Well.. As soon as the computers rebooted it wont do it again.

It only does it from the first boot up, and it will only do it the once.

This is what has me baffled, at first i wondered if the card just needs to warm up.
But even if you leave the PC on for 3 days (like i have) the first time you start a game, it will do this!

I can stress the gfx card (ATItool/OCCT to name a few) i've left it stressing over 24hrs. It still wont do it.. But as soon as i start a game, BAM straight away.

Changed drivers, OS's, HDDs, GFX bios.. Everything. (it's not OC'd) It's not heat issues, as the card never even hits 80 degrees (Cards an XFX).

Kinda funny as the warranty ran out 12 days ago.. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Anyone seen/heard of a case like this?
It's not so much the card i care about, its these bright colours flicking on and off and breaking my monitor which does.

=SOC= Admiral
12-04-2009, 07:38 AM
I had something like this with my GTX260 216. It was fine in crysis but artifacted like crazy in COD WAW. It caused my system to crash repeatedly. but this does sound alot like waht happened with my 216 and im sorry to say for the last 2 months your card has pretty much been going down a path of slow and extremely painful death. BTW mine was an EVGA. I am now on a 275 after a step up that was an absolute heat [blank].

LedHed
12-04-2009, 09:50 AM
RMA it, nothing else you can do unless you want to desolder components from the board your self.

Wait you are saying you can't RMA it? Reasons like this are why I buy eVGA, lifetime warranty and RMA.

fiskov
12-04-2009, 12:56 PM
XFX only provide 1yr warranty in the UK. Mine ran out nov.22nd ahahahaha

Ah well, hopefully it lasts till fermi.. Just strange as i've never had a card which crashes like this.

ReverendMaynard
12-04-2009, 01:45 PM
sure it's the card? sounds like a bunk, PCIE slot or the board isn't reacting well to cold boots. heck it could be the PSU.

Did you try it in another slot (if you have one), or PC? How about trying another card?

Changed drivers, OS's, HDDs, GFX bio

3 out of 4 of those you've tried are a bit useless when trouble shooting a video corruption lol.

1nvisible
12-04-2009, 01:58 PM
It's either heat or a weak PSU, i had the same prob once in a while until i finally cleaned the fan.

ReverendMaynard
12-04-2009, 02:02 PM
well I'd knock off heat because it's happening on the cold boot and it passed AtiTool/OCCT but the PSU issue is definitely plausible.

Huttala
12-04-2009, 06:32 PM
HAve you tried the CPU and GPU stressprograms at the same time ?
If not then it could be the PSU, if it works with both stressprogs at the same time it shouldnt be the PSU.

And if its not the PSU I would heat up the card in the oven (8min 190C), make sure to stripp the card from any cooling from it before you put it in the oven.

fiskov
12-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Na, it's been working with this power supply since i've owned it. If it was also that it would keep doing it, same with PCIE slot theory.
But don't get me wrong i've tried both ideas.
It's always cleaned so it's not that.
The fact it only does it once and after boot rules out so, SO many possibilities and causes.

I'll be swapping it with a friends 285 next week, so at least i'll know for sure it's the card.

ReverendMaynard
12-04-2009, 07:47 PM
I'll be swapping it with a friends 285 next week, so at least i'll know for sure it's the card.

sounds like a plan.

dinos22
12-04-2009, 07:51 PM
lol sounds like you could try that crazy gfx baking method if its the solder joints drying up or loosening heh

doesnt look too good eek

Onoff312
12-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Bake her up mate.

Jamesrt2004
12-05-2009, 04:59 AM

Ah well, hopefully it lasts till fermi.. Just strange as i've never had a card which crashes like this.

really? i thought it was lifetime, or they didnt do it then? :confused:

ok i lied its 100% 2 year warranty.. :) so should still be fine if you registered it

fiskov
12-05-2009, 05:45 AM
"WARRANTY PERIOD: XFX warranties hardware Product for a period of one (1) year from purchase from an authorised XFX reseller (proof of purchase will be required)."
Where are you reading two year "Jamesrt2004"? Maybe i'm on the wrong bit.

ahaha, "Bake her up". Well, i can't exactly sell it like this, so.. Anythings a possibility!

dinos22
12-05-2009, 05:51 AM
:rofl: oh man i hope it works for ya
kinda sucks that you cant try for warranty as its only been a few days
id probablu try reasoning first with XFX

fiskov
12-05-2009, 05:56 AM
Hmm, where's the serial number on the GTX? I suppose i could email them the serial and get a response on warranty info?

Here's another picture, for laughs;

http://home.btconnect.com/fiskov/images/error2.jpg

zeroibis
12-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Yea my 280 recently kicked the bucket although I am not 100% but 90% sure it has.

When ever the clock changes from 300 to the 600+ for games ect it crashes making the screen a solid color. Did multiple driver reinstall and cleans with no solution. I even managed to force it to 600 at all times and still if an app that way gpu intensive loaded it tanked.

I installed another gpu and the replacement works fine. The replacement uses less power so it still could be a psu issue but I doubt that and the new card does not have the core throttle like the 280 so it could still be a driver issue :shakes:

Hopefully both of us can get these dam things fixed. :cool:

drfps
12-08-2009, 05:55 AM
it's call the pink screen of death. I had a 280 do the exact same thing. Can't be fixed (rma).

I have read in more than one place the baking thing works.

LedHed
12-08-2009, 08:54 AM
yea I would trying baking it if you have no warranty and no other options.

JohnZS
12-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Could it be the RAMS though?
When my first BFG GTX 280 OCX was RMA'd it started to develop pink dots all over the screen (even from cold POST), my guess was that the RAM had packed up.
2nd BFG OCX was RMA's because.....it was DOA (artificated like a demon in every game)
3rd BFG OCX seems to be working ok so far. My guess is you will first need to contact XFX support and see if you can get an RMA (try pushing for one). If they do not let you have one then you could try the "baking game", but... IMHO it's more luck than exact science.
John

zeroibis
12-08-2009, 07:32 PM
yea I would trying baking it if you have no warranty and no other options.

What is this and how do I do it :up:

LedHed
12-09-2009, 10:48 AM

http://www.google.com/search?q=Baking+your+GPU&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

JohnZS
12-09-2009, 11:34 AM

There is a video and a guide here (http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-general/529271-bake-your-graphics-card-oven-fix.html)

:eek::eek:

zeroibis
12-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Well I guess it will be time to do my own video in a few weeks. I wonder what my mom is going to say when I show up and say oh I need your oven to bake a computer ;)

JohnZS
12-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Well I guess it will be time to do my own video in a few weeks. I wonder what my mom is going to say when I show up and say oh I need your oven to bake a computer ;)

put some cakes in with it while you are at it... ;)

dinos22
12-09-2009, 01:32 PM
There is a video and a guide here (http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-general/529271-bake-your-graphics-card-oven-fix.html)

:eek::eek:

looks at the size of that dude
i wouldnt wanna be picking a fight with him any time soon :D

JohnZS
12-09-2009, 02:17 PM
looks at the size of that dude
i wouldnt wanna be picking a fight with him any time soon :D

Indeed he does look like he could give Mr T a run for his money. Perhaps baking the card never actually fixed it.... just people were too scared to dispute the evidence as they were worried about a fist to the face ;)

zeroibis
12-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Well if it does not work he better look out b/c I am going to be coming for him. (after I get my friend from the marines b/c that dude would rip me in half)

almighty15
12-10-2009, 11:24 PM

I'm sure it's more then 12 months, I have an XFX 4890 and I get 2 years with it :confused:

Get in touch with XFX anyway, they should let you RMA it directly to them.

fiskov
12-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Well, quick update..

Swapped the card, does it in his PC, and my comps fine with his 260 and a hd4890.. So we at least know it is the card.
And "Admiral" was right, it has been slowly getting worse and worse. From crashing up to three times instead of the once, and just a few days ago it crashed booting desktop.

Looks like it's going to die :( which is Kind of sad as it served me well.
I emailed XFX with the serial, we're see what they say about RMA.

Just hope the thing can last that little bit longer till there new cards out.

I might bake it up once i got a replacement, or sell it on eBay.. We're see.

Necetra
12-26-2009, 09:02 PM
XFX's come with a double lifetime warranty.. I'd be pretty damn pissed if they didn't honor it.
But, did you register it soon after you bought the card?

fiskov
12-27-2009, 03:33 PM
But, did you register it soon after you bought the card?

Noooope, never done such a thing as i only keep them till the next gen.
Was just reading the site again and it also says i need the receipt, god knows where i even got it from now, let alone where the receipt is.

JohnZS
12-28-2009, 03:24 AM
Good Luck with the RMA fiskov, with anyluck they will give you a GTX 285.
John

drfps
01-13-2010, 01:51 PM
It's called the Pink Screen of Death(google it). It can be pink or purple I had one die like that last year. Spent six weeks chasing it with driver changes.
I have a theory that involve they way the thermal tape is put on the vrm's...

fiskov
01-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Completely forgot to update;

The cards out of warranty, i was told after getting in contact with XFX it only had 1 year.
I got fed up with how bad it got (could take 30-40 minutes to boot the PC) So i'm using a 9800gt at the moment.

I'm currently debating whether to;
Use it as a Physx card when i get the GF100 or as previously mentioned i might try this "baking it up" method.

CryptiK
01-23-2010, 04:23 AM
If the card is that fragged, I doubt it would work at all/as a Physx card. I vote for baking it at least that gives you a chance at repair and you have nothing to lose really.

JohnZS
01-23-2010, 04:37 AM
I think fiskov is debating whether to use his 9800GT as a Physx card or not!?
Anyway sorry to hear that you are out of warranty :(
I've also got problems going on with a GTX card at the moment, but BFG are not being helpful at all. It's not my fault they sent me a DOA card!!!!!
John

fiskov
01-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Oh, it works still.. When its working its still perfectly fine.
I'm currently using it as physx on this 9800gt.
It just seems to be a problem when first booting.. Like it needs a warm up time.
But that never made sense, as you could leave the PC on for several days/stress it for hours.. Soon as you turned it off, even if you turned it straight back on. It would start ******* around again.

But anyway, i'll wait and see for now... Good luck "JohnZS" on your RMA!

zeroibis
02-22-2010, 07:25 PM
I just wanted to update this to state that the problem ended up being OS related however I had it again recently under windows 7. I then tracked it down to an old 250gb HDD. Strange that disconnecting it fixed the problem but everything runs fine even with other drives hooked up in its place...

DavyBoy
02-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Mate, definitely try baking this card, I had the same thing happen with an 8800GTX and I baked it for 10 minutes at 200c then left it to cool for an hour and plugged it back in, and much to my amazment the card was sorted, it's still running perfectly to this very day!!!

Remember to remove the cooler completely though!!

Also remove any thermal compounds off the GPU, vRAM and MOSFET's as I saw someones card on another forum where the TIM had been cooked onto the components, it wasn't a pretty sight!!!

Sch0cK
02-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Seems to be an GTX issue,
mine (GTX280) does the same at bootup.

Need some trys than it works, my is crashing after password.(when activating Aero )
Then i can do anything beside playing Batman there it crashes every time on the same spot.
When Aero is disabled i come to desktop every time,
but than it crashes on Games or Players.

I´v seen some post like this around the web.
Luckily ist an EVGA so i RMA mine now.

Ps. Baking sometimes really helps :yepp: :D

zeroibis
04-15-2010, 11:53 AM
Ok after having this problem come back randomly on and off I finally realized a easy way to figure it out. I independently benchmark every component to see what crashed it.

As a result I found it was actually the ram that causes the solid color crashes. I have fixed this problem by switching from XMP profile 1 to profile 2. :up:

I am so stupid for not just benchmarking everything one at a time from the start this is how I am debugging from now on. ;)

Sn@ke:~
04-15-2010, 12:14 PM
make sure to put the GPU on the upper side while cooking or it will fall off :rofl: like some dude that did tried it.:down:

Regards

Just incase never know