PDA

View Full Version : comair rotron fans

Death ++
12-07-2003, 02:11 AM
i'm curious as to where the best place for a 172mm comair rotron fan is to buy from. i know of www.mpja.com (http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=14334+FN) and that fan pushes 235 cfm for only 14.95. i was wondering if anyone has delt with them before and if they know of any other place with good prices either as good as if not better than mpja. i want some large fans with a min of 200 cfm when at full speed, but i'll want to turn them down to a decent dba level while still push a considerable amount of air (more than a 120mm is capable of)

thanks for your help in advance :)

sjohnson
12-07-2003, 06:29 AM
I've bought from mpja three times, all three had prompt shipping with the merchandise packed well. Shipping was a touch high but the deals went smoothly.

speedstream5621
12-07-2003, 06:32 PM
You can buy these on Ebay pretty cheap too.

Death ++
12-07-2003, 09:44 PM
i plan on getting a couple of them, and its hard to find the right kind on ebay, although i think ive found one. the description is a little vague so i email the seller. if it meets my requirements, then ill be getting it. ill probably get the rest off of the mpja site for a little more money, and buying a couple will make the shipping a little more reasonable. thanks for all your help :)

Tedinde
12-07-2003, 10:13 PM
Dia: 6-3/4"

Big fan!!!!!

I've ordered from MPJA before with no problems. Got some Panaflo 120mm's for cheap as hell like $2.95 if i remember.

235 cfm
2.26A

Pulls some juice too!!!

Lithan
12-07-2003, 10:35 PM
Mpja is great. Ordered about 3 or 4 times from them. Ordered once from allelectronics with no problems... but I gotta say MPJA is my preferance between the two.

Death ++
12-07-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Tedinde
Big fan!!!!!

I've ordered from MPJA before with no problems. Got some Panaflo 120mm's for cheap as hell like $2.95 if i remember.

Pulls some juice too!!!

ya its big and ya it pulls some juice, and i want a couple... :P i might need a seperate psu to run all my fans off of, i'll have to check what my psu can handle and how much my machine is stealing from it. i do want a new psu for my rig and maybe ill just use the old one for the fans and lights.

well the ebay thing isnt going to good, the fan i had my eye on wasnt the right one, and the only one they have right now that is the right one, ill have to try and bid on it to possibly get a good deal. i probably just get them from mpja.

one more question, i have a fan controller that i wanted to put these on, but they only support up to 20 W per channel, and the fans draw 25.2 according to Comair Rotron's datasheet (http://www.comairrotron.com/DCFans/MajorDC.htm) . i was wondering what would happen if i used it on it. should i never run it at full speed, or will it just never run at its full speed? i just dont want to blow my controller or my psu. if it doesnt run at full speed, it will still push more than enough cfm.

thanks again

Ulfar
12-08-2003, 06:10 AM
its gona be loud ++ with 54 dB, you better have a fan speed controller or you are going to go nuts.

BigDov
12-08-2003, 10:49 AM
I've got the exact same fan you're looking at as the intake fan in my case :) Yes it's loud, yes it pulls a lot of juice and yes you need it on a controller of some sort. With the other fans in my case, I was pulling a ton of power, so I wired up a spare 300w Antec to power fans only. As far as a controller, I've got one of THESE (http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/ele-50.html) from FrozenCPU. Kinda pricey, but I havent' found anything else that will allow me to run it at any speed that I want, and NOT burn up the controller.

Death ++
12-08-2003, 02:39 PM
thanx BigDov. im gonna get 4 of those and mod them into an empty 3 1/2" drive. my system is going to run very cool with those fans :D too bad its gonna cost me over $50 just to control the speed of some of my fans, but i think it's worth it.

another question BigDov, where and how did u put it in ur case? 2 of them are going on radiators for my watercooling, and the other im gonna see if it will fit on the side panel blowing directly on the vid card, cpu, ram, mosfets, n/b, etc. once i take some sort of cutting device to it, probably a dremel so i can have a built in finger gaurd to protect my clumsy fingers :)

BigDov
12-08-2003, 02:54 PM
Hey Death ++

I don't know how lucky you'll be putting those in a 3.5" bay- they're pretty big! But they're definitely worth it.

As far as where and how I put the fan in my case, I've got a Chenbro Genie- it's HUGE! I was thinking about actually doing dual 120's, but decided to go crazy and just cut a hole for it, and put that in up front. With the bezel on, you don't even know it's there. I'll see about putting a couple pictures up for you later on tonight so you can see.

Death ++
12-08-2003, 02:58 PM
sounds great BigDov, cant wait to see the pics.

i took some of the measurements of the drive bezel and the controllers from the site, and i think i can fit 3 of them on, maybe with a little extra modding by trimming some stuff if needed, but i think its do-able.

BigDov
12-08-2003, 09:54 PM
Well, here's a pic for you.... kinda ugly at the moment; I'm right in the middle of modding that psu you see there and getting everything back together. Excuse the flash too- CHEEEEP digicam. But you still get the point :) Oh yeah, I was going to tell you, there's an auction on ebay for 5 Comairs for like 10 bucks. You need to go to the computers section and just put comair rotron in as your search.

http://www.rhuidean.com/donovan/PCpics/front2.JPG

Death ++
12-08-2003, 10:57 PM
thats a nice mod, i bet my digicam is worse :P, and thanx for the ebay info, ill bid on it tomorrow, but five is a bit much, ill figure a way to use them though :D. and shipping is 17.50, but 30 for all of them, great deal!! the "sold as is" qoute is a little distrusting, but i only need 3, and if 2 dont work, thats fine. thanx again and ill let u know when i get all my mods done. itll be around x-mas though. :toast:

BigDov
12-09-2003, 06:48 AM
Sounds great and glad to help you out!