PDA

View Full Version : Error while computing

06F150fx4
12-01-2009, 08:43 AM
I have completed and validated 2 units in 24 hours between my pair of 8800 gt's and my gtx 295. I never had this many problems folding. If this keeps up I'm going to just quit this. I don't know what to do, I've tried everything, different drivers, BOINC clients, SLI off and on....I don't know what to do here but I'm at the end of my rope. If anyone can let me know what their working combination of multi gpu cards preferably with vista 64 bit I would be grateful. Thanks in advance.

Corey

Snow Crash
12-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Hey Doc ...
Hang in there ... when I get home tonight I will post up any detail you want on my I7 920, Vista 64, GTX 295 that has been returning good results. I'll start making a list of things I will identify. Everyone, please add any parameter you think might be helpful.

CPU: i7-920 D0 (heck I'll post the batch# if anyone cares)
- Is it worth posting specific volt and multi settings that I have used? I doubt it because the issue is GPU error and not BSOD. Perhaps turning the CPU clocks down to make sure it is rock solid stable?
RAM: 2x2 Corsair 1600 (deets later). Perhaps another place to make sure is stable to rule it out of the equation.
PSU: Corsair 750 TX
HD: Caviar Black 1T
Surge protection: yes
UPS: no

Now to the GPU itself
GPU: EVGA GTX 295
over volted to 1088
I will double check core / shader / mem/ fan/ temp/ driver

Don't typically hear of AV software getting in the way when talking about GPU but double check the BOINC folders are on your scan exclusion list.

Let me know of anything else I can detail for you.

I have a problem with my GTX 285 where sometimes it idles down to nothing and then ends up hanging my whole damn PC cause it's still trying to fold. While this does not always cause a compute error when I find the fix (I think there might be a "force 3d always" type of reg hack) I will let you know.

I'll be back in a few hours,
Steve

Snow Crash
12-01-2009, 03:27 PM
OK ... I'll start with a screenie of GPUZ ...
http://img.techpowerup.org/091201/gpuz.jpg
followed by Precision as a double check and so you can also see that I set my fan instead of leaving it on auto
http://img.techpowerup.org/091201/Precision.jpg
Vista Version, SP, and Build
http://img.techpowerup.org/091201/Vista.jpg
I am only using 4 GB cause I stole the other stick when I built my second cruncher last month
Boinc 6.10.17

Going for dinner, let me know what else I can provide.

Steve

Snow Crash
12-03-2009, 11:32 AM
In case you are still reading ... I don;t do SLI and I don't do PhysX ... what other settings might help?

06F150fx4
12-04-2009, 06:54 AM
In case you are still reading ... I don;t do SLI and I don't do PhysX ... what other settings might help?

Unfortunately none if it helps because I was doing the same thing. Maybe my gpu's are just done

Snow Crash
12-05-2009, 05:55 AM
You are not using RDP to connect directly to the box to check on things are you? From what I have read VNC is what you need to do RDP can crash GPU WUs. I have also read that KVMs don't work right for us either (123Bob). I will be trying to set up VNC today and let you know how that goes.

123bob
12-05-2009, 09:24 AM
The KVM issue may be limited to 260-216s, or my particular model KVM, a trendnet TK-1601R. IDK. :shrug:

What I see is a blank screen after the windows bar comes up. I work around this by plugging directly into the monitor for boot, then I put the KVM back in line. A PITA for booting, but it works fine after that.

What I have been able to determine is that the rig is coming up in 1600-1200, which is a resolution my monitor doesn't support. If I could force it to boot at 1280-1024, I would be good to go.

Perhaps more detail on what you're seeing may help?

Regards,
Bob

06F150fx4
12-05-2009, 11:07 PM
You are not using RDP to connect directly to the box to check on things are you? From what I have read VNC is what you need to do RDP can crash GPU WUs. I have also read that KVMs don't work right for us either (123Bob). I will be trying to set up VNC today and let you know how that goes.

nope...wife is taking care of it directly.

Snow Crash
12-06-2009, 04:17 AM
Looks like you got all good returns yesterday ... anything changed on your end?
So after my first post which in part says I never heard of AV software messing with GPUGrid, I done gone and updated mine yesterday (along with the 195.52 drivers) and it starts spewing out "sonar exceptions" and crashing acemd because it was too new and NIS didn't know what it was :shakes:

I am running RivaTuner on the GTX285 because I could not keep it from idling into "drag you ass slow 2d" mode which would eventually cause the system to freeze. When I power cycled (that was the only thing I could do) sometimes it would crash not only the GPU WU but was seriously messing with WCG also :-(

06F150fx4
12-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Looks like you got all good returns yesterday ... anything changed on your end?
So after my first post which in part says I never heard of AV software messing with GPUGrid, I done gone and updated mine yesterday (along with the 195.52 drivers) and it starts spewing out "sonar exceptions" and crashing acemd because it was too new and NIS didn't know what it was :shakes:

I am running RivaTuner on the GTX285 because I could not keep it from idling into "drag you ass slow 2d" mode which would eventually cause the system to freeze. When I power cycled (that was the only thing I could do) sometimes it would crash not only the GPU WU but was seriously messing with WCG also :-(

Going back to 190.62 and BOINC 6.6.38 actually fixed it.

123bob
12-06-2009, 09:00 AM
I also found I could not run 195.xx but I thought that was due to the card being a 65nm 260-216. 190.62 has been pretty solid on my other rigs.

Good to hear you got it going. :up:

Bob

Snow Crash
12-06-2009, 09:30 AM
That's great news :toast:, your perseverance is admirable and help highlight the importance of keeping notes!
I bet you'll be pulling lots of points now, we'll see if my OC can overcome your 8800 advantage :shocked:

CaptMorgan
12-06-2009, 01:05 PM
This is a good point to know-the recent driver update is iffy. Can you just download the old version reinstall it over the new?

PoppaGeek
12-06-2009, 04:56 PM
The best way is to got to Device Manager and Uninstall the GPU and check Remove Drivers.
Reboot into Safe Mode
Run Driver Sweeper
Install new drivers
Reboot

Not a good idea to install over a different version.

06F150fx4
12-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Going back to 190.62 and BOINC 6.6.38 actually fixed it.

Well, I got some errors again today, but at least it's actually producing some. It was erroring out on nearly everything before. I still cannot wait to get rid of that card. It's been a nightmare. Works well for gaming, but folding/crunching on it has been rough to say the least. My dual 8800 machine was down for a few days but should be back up again today. I need to keep pace with Snow Crash for the next few months otherwise it will take me a long time to catch back up. I think this may be my last foray into the dual gpu world. I may just get a non oem style 5870 2 gb and a pair of gtx 380 gpus(if they ever come out) and spread them out to different machines.

DAK1640
12-07-2009, 02:36 AM
I have a TrendNet KVM working flawlessly on GTX 260's:up:

CaptMorgan
12-07-2009, 07:49 AM
I have a TrendNet KVM working flawlessly on GTX 260's:up:

Well glad I am to hear- After doing some reading around the forum's last night I got worried because it seems there have been problems with the 260's. I believe so far everything is running ok with mine-I just ordered another 260 GTX also:up: