PDA

View Full Version : 370$ 5850 on the egg

Mr. Morello
11-23-2009, 01:57 PM
abacadaba

Sam_oslo
11-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Isn't (or maybe should say, wasn't) that spoused to be the price of a 5870?

Nvidia's Outrages delay --> ATI's Outrages prices

road-runner
11-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Prices are up on all of them everywhere compared to launch, there price gouging...

Splave
11-23-2009, 02:22 PM
it will be sold out within 10 minutes, and ebayed for $400, 5870s are going for $550-600 rofl crazyness

chispy
11-23-2009, 02:49 PM
well i saw yesterday on newegg available XFX 5870 for ONLY $439.99 and i wacth it for like 5 minutes , it sold out within 5 minutes :eek: WTF , people have become desesperate and are paying anything :shocked: for a new card ,
$439.99 + tax + Shipping = For me ~$500 US Dollars :yepp: , im glad i bought my 3 cards cheap within 1 hour of been out on newegg for sale :D , we need Furby fast :yepp:

OC Nub
11-23-2009, 03:00 PM
I think the price of this xfx5850 is high because it is a "black edition" card. Still it is crazy what people are charging.
Ill sell both mine for that price and build a new i7 rig. :D

Sam_oslo
11-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Sold out, now. :rolleyes:

I guess ATI's marketings division has done the homework. Keep the supply under the marked demand, then the price (and nerds craving for new GPU, which is a totally new and interesting lesson) will go up.

zanzabar
11-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Prices are up on all of them everywhere compared to launch, there price gouging...

its not really price gouging since its in the right price to performance compared to the 285 (it might be a bit low even), i dont like the prices but when there is a shortage and they are the best by a wide margin in price to performance and the best in performance they are going to go up in price since the market is there

Sam_oslo
11-23-2009, 03:12 PM
its not really price gouging since its in the right price to performance compared to the 285 (it might be a bit low even)

Come on 285 is last generation, and you can't compare the price or performance at all. You have ro compare "apple to apple", but the problem is that Nvdia's "apple" is delayed and ATI is using the opportunity to squeeze some profit from nerds.

Baulten
11-23-2009, 03:17 PM
The card was available all afternoon, actually, and surprisingly.

The price is ridiculous, but it is the "black edition". Hopefully we'll see better prices and availability soon.

Blkout
11-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Sold out, now. :rolleyes:

I guess ATI's marketings division has done the homework. Keep the supply under the marked demand, then the price (and nerds craving for new GPU, which is a totally new and interesting lesson) will go up.

You sound jealous that you don't own a 5800. Don't worry I'm sure you'll get one sooner or later.

Blkout
11-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Come on 285 is last generation, and you can't compare the price or performance at all. You have ro compare "apple to apple", but the problem is that Nvdia's "apple" is delayed and ATI is using the opportunity to squeeze some profit from nerds.

ATI's yields are down so prices are up. Supply and demand, nothing more. The only nerd in question, appears to be you.

road-runner
11-23-2009, 05:47 PM
I am not in that big a hurry to pay extra I will wait this time... :up:

overclocking101
11-23-2009, 06:05 PM
ill wait 65 months or buy a couple 4870X2's or 4890's or hell some GTX275/285's somewhere

Sam_oslo
11-23-2009, 06:10 PM
You sound jealous that you don't own a 5800. Don't worry I'm sure you'll get one sooner or later.

Are you really so smart or playing smart? Can't you see who is paying extra and loosing money here?. It doesn't really take much brain to figure.

Why are you defending this outrages price?

TheKarmakazi
11-23-2009, 06:23 PM
$310 dollars asus 5850 only ONE left

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121349

pezcore
11-23-2009, 06:37 PM
ill wait 65 months or buy a couple 4870X2's or 4890's or hell some GTX275/285's somewhere

damn, talk about not giving a crap :p:

shadow46x2
11-23-2009, 07:28 PM
$310 dollars asus 5850 only ONE left

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121349

correction...

*was* one left ;)

--j

chispy
11-23-2009, 07:35 PM
correction...

*was* one left ;)

--j

:rofl::D:ROTF:

zshadow
11-23-2009, 07:54 PM
with the prices these 5850 and 5870s are going for the 5970 is a far better deal, considering the performance you get.

InCredible
11-23-2009, 08:05 PM

doesnt matter what generation...nvidia is the competitor regardless and thats all they have to offer...

u compare PRICE to PERFORMANCE...and if you win u win simple as that..thats apples to apples..

ur trying to compare 5800 series to nothing just cause fermi isnt out..and by the time it does come out ati's new arch will be right around the corner ..so does the 5800 series even have a competitor? and will fermi be compared to 5800 series 6 months after its release or whatever ati has coming in 6 months after fermi's release...

just doesn't make sense to even think like that..u compare whats on the market..and thats apples to apples..

chispy
11-23-2009, 08:20 PM
OMG 5850 sold on ebay for $500 Dollars :shocked: , and 5870s going for $561 Dollars :eek: ,, this is madneeeeeeeeeeeessssss :shock::wierd:

[XC] Synthetickiller
11-23-2009, 09:02 PM
My gtx260 is really holding its value considering what these cost. I'd rather by another and go SLI lol.

LiberalElephant
11-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Are you really so smart or playing smart? Can't you see who is paying extra and loosing money here?. It doesn't really take much brain to figure.

The last time I checked, ATI wasn't a division of UNICEF and must make money. This is simple supply and demand. Don't blame ATI for these high prices, blame TSMC for their low yields and the pricing mechanism.

Glow9
11-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Synthetickiller;4123644']My gtx260 is really holding its value considering what these cost. I'd rather by another and go SLI lol.

I am squeezing all $310 or so dollars out of my 8800GTS thats is for sure. Stupid Nvidia.

Laine
11-23-2009, 10:30 PM
OMG 5850 sold on ebay for $500 Dollars :shocked: , and 5870s going for $561 Dollars :eek: ,, this is madneeeeeeeeeeeessssss :shock::wierd:

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/2663/spartaaa.png

Totally worth the effort, some things just has to be done.

iTravis
11-24-2009, 01:15 AM
There's no doubt that the HD58xx series card sell like hot cake and they're sold out everywhere but you guys might wanna try your local brick and mortar retailer. My friend just grabbed a HD5850 for less than $300 at Chips and Memory store 2 days ago, I didn't think of that and I think this is the reason why they still have those cards in their stock because not many people know either.

Blkout
11-24-2009, 08:17 AM

I'm not defending anything. I paid $260 each for my two 5850's on launch day. However, you calling people nerds because they aren't paying $260 for their 5850's is growing a little tiresome. It's not your money so why do you care? If you don't like the price, buy one when the price fits your budget.

Blkout
11-24-2009, 08:19 AM
I think that all the smart people should boycott ATI's extremely high prices!!

I'd rather buy from Provantage and wait a month maybe two for it to ship at the retail price for the same exact card with a different cover! Honestly a warranty past two years is worthless, because there are going to be better GPUS, so paying extra for it is for dummies (just like car parts, 50 junk yard parts = 1 new aftermarket part /w lifetime warranty)!!!

I sincerely hope more competitors get into the high end GPU market (like intel), maybe adding motherboard support for replaceable GPU'S, memory and what ever else is needed to improve performance (those mystical 1600 shaders).... this would also reduce overhead cost to the consumer because you wouldn't be buying the same silly ass components over and over again for sky high prices!!!

You're not boycotting anything by not buying right now. All you're doing it waiting for supply to go back up again so that prices will come down. This will happen regardless if you boycott or not. When the manufacturing yields are better prices will go down.

irev210
11-24-2009, 08:24 AM
People get mad at newegg for price gouging, etc...

when really, people are just buying and reselling on eBay.

Supply/Demand... who cares?

shadow46x2
11-24-2009, 04:35 PM
fyi...HIS 5850 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161302) has been up for a few hours now

--j

cowie
11-24-2009, 04:39 PM
omg theres two brands of 5850's go go go $300
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048%20106793261%201067949753&name=Radeon%20HD%205850

and a 5870 415 thuo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102861

shadow46x2
11-24-2009, 05:47 PM
hehehe..seriously it's like playing the lottery...

i was checking hourly for a week straight before i snagged the ASUS yesterday...

--j

Titan7171
11-24-2009, 05:49 PM
I think that all the smart people should boycott ATI's extremely high prices!!

I'd rather buy from Provantage and wait a month maybe two for it to ship at the retail price for the same exact card with a different cover! Honestly a warranty past two years is worthless, because there are going to be better GPUS, so paying extra for it is for dummies (just like car parts, 50 junk yard parts = 1 new aftermarket part /w lifetime warranty)!!!

I sincerely hope more competitors get into the high end GPU market (like intel), maybe adding motherboard support for replaceable GPU'S, memory and what ever else is needed to improve performance (those mystical 1600 shaders).... this would also reduce overhead cost to the consumer because you wouldn't be buying the same silly ass components over and over again for sky high prices!!!

I never seen anybody boycott Nvidia when they had the fastest card with the highest price but now that its ATI with the better product we need boycotts and everybody is price goudging?:rolleyes:

deaffob
11-24-2009, 07:38 PM
lol@people who says crap about ATI's price. You all think that ATI is church pastor or something and trying to help you? It is a company that wants to make the most money possible. People should understand that they are just doing some business. Stop with all this "oh my gawd, high price" non-sense.

shadow46x2
11-24-2009, 08:00 PM
how about a little perspective?

wasn't the GTX285 like $400-500 when it was first released?...so really, a 5850 for $300 on release, and a 5870 for $400 on release...

is that really bad?...

and aren't the benchmarks for the 58XX beating out the GTX285?...

and the newegg prices on the 285 is at around $400...which the 5850 is outperforming...

so in all reality, ATI really is beating nVidia's price point & their performance...

sooooo...what's the beef?

--j

FlawleZ
11-24-2009, 10:52 PM
Saw a 5850 go for $500 the other day. It's ridiculous what people will pay for what they want because they're impatient regardless of its actual value or not. I'm still satisfied with my $130 4850@~4870 speeds. I have no problem holding out until prices drop after the new year.

LiberalElephant
11-25-2009, 09:23 AM
You've got it!! I expect ATI to not only beat their price but also beat their performance by a significant margin, say 15-30%!

Another thing I find odd is that the 5770 and 5750 are stocked, and yet they use the same size transistors and manufacturing technology! Why aren't those cards out of stock?

If it were me, I'd focus on launching most of the higher end cards at the beginning of a product life cycle and cut production 4-6 months prior to new product launch; to give the consumer and supplier the most value!

This is why you don't run a publicly traded company lol.

gr8golf
11-25-2009, 09:34 AM

ATI doesn't make a dime more on those cards from the gouging. ATI sells to the AIB partners who make the cards and then sell them at wholesale to the retailers like Newegg. Those prices are set. Then if Newegg marks up the price by $100 and sells it they keep all that profit.

I hate it too - but if you had a brand new 5870 in your hands and 10 prospective buyers, would you sell it to the guy offering retail or the guy willing to pay a $100 premium? We're all greedy - get over it. Supply and demand.

Sam_oslo
11-25-2009, 03:52 PM
ATI doesn't make a dime more on those cards from the gouging. ATI sells to the AIB partners who make the cards and then sell them at wholesale to the retailers like Newegg. Those prices are set. Then if Newegg marks up the price by $100 and sells it they keep all that profit.

I hate it too - but if you had a brand new 5870 in your hands and 10 prospective buyers, would you sell it to the guy offering retail or the guy willing to pay a $100 premium? We're all greedy - get over it. Supply and demand.

I personally don't care if it is Nvidia, ATI or Intel, it is about fare play and fair price without dirty "marketing" tricks.

I'm not sure know is responsible for this price jump. Either it is ATI who is keeping the supply low, or it is XFX misusing the opportunity of high demand, or it is newegg manipulating the prices, whoever it is, is playing a dirty marketings tricks, in my opinion.

But maybe I should listen to you guys, you are trying to tell me that prices are going up.

SocketMan
11-25-2009, 05:51 PM

This is how I thought it generally worked:
Ati sells a gpu to the board makers for lets say 100.
Board maker pays the $100 for the gpu (only),makes the actual video card, and puts it on the market for lets say $200.

Now the demand gets high,board partner raises the price
from 200 to 300.

ATI just gets the initial 100 from the board maker, regardless of what the street price is.

I don't see where this additional profit comes in for ATI :confused:

What am I missing here?

edit*
btw 2x5770=5870
That's what I did anyway,so new egg can get the fud out :D

gr8golf
11-25-2009, 06:35 PM
But maybe I should listen to you guys, you are trying to tell me that prices are going up.

This is why ATI fanboys should appreciate NVidia and vice versa.

This is how I thought it generally worked:
Ati sells a gpu to the board makers for lets say 100.
Board maker pays the $100 for the gpu (only),makes the actual video card, and puts it on the market for lets say $200.

Now the demand gets high,board partner raises the price
from 200 to 300.

ATI just gets the initial 100 from the board maker, regardless of what the street price is.

I don't see where this additional profit comes in for ATI :confused:

The AIB doesn't move wholesale prices around too much - it's all the reseller.

LiberalElephant
11-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Okay okay, I'll give in a little here... I think a few others who were saying things about supply and demand were getting at this as well.

So instead of hating on ATI who made a good card at a fair price, we should be aware of suppliers like newegg who are profiting excessively.

Newegg is simply trying to keep the card in stock. It will raise its price until the number of buyers is = to the number of cards available. This is how all markets work. They are not "profiting excessively", they would rather being moving 10x the number of cards at 1/5th the profit per card.

I personally don't care if it is Nvidia, ATI or Intel, it is about fare play and fair price without dirty "marketing" tricks.

I'm not sure know is responsible for this price jump. Either it is ATI who is keeping the supply low, or it is XFX misusing the opportunity of high demand, or it is newegg manipulating the prices, whoever it is, is playing a dirty marketings tricks, in my opinion.

A "Fair price" is a myth. The only prices that exist are market prices. Free markets only yield free market prices. The price mechanism is designed to bring supply and demand to an equilibrium (or to tend toward equilibrium, never to actually be reached). The company "responsible" for the price jump is TSMC with their poor yields. None of the companies involved in the process of getting a card to market benefit from reduced supply. At lower prices they move more units (and at higher prices they move less). This is called the supply/demand curve. The lower the price, the more you sell. The best any of these companies can do is to place themselves on the optimal point on the supply/demand curve. That rarely means restricting supply, even in the case of a monopoly.

Basically what I am saying is that ATI would rather move 1 million units at a profit of $1/unit ($1 million) than move 10,000 units at a profit of $10/unit ($100,000).

Overvolt_25
11-26-2009, 08:06 AM
There's no doubt that the HD58xx series card sell like hot cake and they're sold out everywhere but you guys might wanna try your local brick and mortar retailer. My friend just grabbed a HD5850 for less than $300 at Chips and Memory store 2 days ago, I didn't think of that and I think this is the reason why they still have those cards in their stock because not many people know either.

This is what i did. Picked up my HD5850 locally for $280 after tax. I wont say that is the norm to find it cheaper locally but in this case i think it might be the way to look for it.

LiberalElephant
11-26-2009, 08:57 AM
Well, it's my uneducated marketing idea, somethings in buisness are not about money and by the way if I were to run a company. If I were running a company, I'd recognize my job responsibility of performing a leadership management function and ask the director or manager of marketing to generate a few different selling options to add more value to consumers compared to the competitor.

--Yes that's right, I'd go Obama leadership style on your @ss

I think ATI has done that, but the execution (actually getting all of the products to market) has been bad because of TSMC's trouble with yields. Fear not my friend! These cards will eventually be priced very nicely!

Biznatch
11-26-2009, 09:31 AM
Funny thing is, every fry's is my area is now stocked with HIS 5850's for 310 and they aren't selling. Looks like the demand is dying down on them finally and the ridiculous gouging can stop. I would rather wait with my POS 30$ 9500gs until my xfx gets back in stock for the 260 I paid. Definitely not going to be one of the people that gladly bends over and gets raped by retailers.

gr8golf
11-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Well, it's my uneducated marketing idea, somethings in buisness are not about money and by the way if I were to run a company. If I were running a company, I'd recognize my job responsibility of performing a leadership management function and ask the director or manager of marketing to generate a few different selling options to add more value to consumers compared to the competitor.

--Yes that's right, I'd go Obama leadership style on your @ss

Do you have any idea how much your first statement sounded like Communist thinking - and how much the second perfectly matches it?

LiberalElephant
11-27-2009, 11:28 PM
Does any one else see it this way ?

No lol. You just don't understand economics AFAIK. That hardly makes you a communist.

roller11
11-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Does any one else see it this way ?

I won't pay 'bend over' price either. A card is 'available' if and only if it is priced at or below msrp. Otherwise, it doesn't count.

XCheater
11-28-2009, 01:39 PM
in my country the price still normal :p:

DeadlyFire
11-28-2009, 04:27 PM
I am not in that big a hurry to pay extra I will wait this time... :up:

ditto :up:

Blkout
11-28-2009, 04:50 PM
I can't really say that I blame any of you for not buying the 5850 over $300, but it's still very well worth a $300 pricetag if you can find one. For the performance you're getting, it should have been a $300 card to begin with. It just happened to be a STEAL at $260. I love both of my 5850's and I'm glad I only paid $260 for each of them. For once in all my years of hardware upgrades I actually come out ahead by purchasing early. I've lost money on just about every other purchase I've made on launch day watching prices drop within a few weeks of launch.