PDA

View Full Version : Wanna buy a digicam.

shray
12-05-2003, 08:56 PM
I wanna go into photography a bit, havent had many pictures my whole life of anything, and finally have a computer which i can probably use them with..

I thought the canon powershot a40 was good, but i found out its not being made any more.

:(

Any other good reviews/ suggestions for a FIRST time user? thanks :)

Slickthellama
12-06-2003, 06:14 AM
Price range would help.

I <3 my fuji finepix 3800. 3.23megapixels and a built in flash. All i ever need.

TheDude
12-06-2003, 07:17 AM
I prefer Olympus brand cameras....check out their product line, something for everyone. :D

Peckers
12-06-2003, 07:37 AM
Canon A40 was replaced by A60 which basically is an improved a40, more settings for light, exposure and a better macro.
A70 is basically an a60 with 3mpix.
A80 which were released not too long ago I think will give you the most for you money, It might be out of your pricerange thougt.

Remember that good optics is more important than pixels and I belive that Canon and Nikon is the best in this area.

Please post what price you have in mind and for what aplications you will be using it. For a party cam, these are a bit too big. Are manual settings essential for you?

st0nedpenguin
12-07-2003, 04:54 AM
I'm also in the market for a digicam, not much to spend, about £200, I'm hardly a budding photographer, but something to take snaps of my rig and me and my mates for my webpage would be handy.

£200 seems to be the sweet spot for a decent enough camera for web publishing, any ideas people?

(Way to throw transatlantic currency conversion into the mix. :D)

sandman
12-07-2003, 06:44 AM
I'd say anything over 2.1MP looks pretty nice.

TheDude
12-07-2003, 06:58 AM
As peckers said, optics are the measure of a good camera, not mp. He is correct.

shray
12-07-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Peckers
Canon A40 was replaced by A60 which basically is an improved a40, more settings for light, exposure and a better macro.
A70 is basically an a60 with 3mpix.
A80 which were released not too long ago I think will give you the most for you money, It might be out of your pricerange thougt.

Remember that good optics is more important than pixels and I belive that Canon and Nikon is the best in this area.

Please post what price you have in mind and for what aplications you will be using it. For a party cam, these are a bit too big. Are manual settings essential for you?

Originally posted by sandman
I'd say anything over 2.1MP looks pretty nice.

LOL :D Yeah, I pretty much have a spending limit of about.. 500$

Im actually poking at the Canon Series, I handled a A40 for a while, and IT was pretty easy although i didnt get indepth much.:)

Peckers
12-07-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by st0nedpenguin
about £200

Everything is expensive here is Sweden but I'd imagine these will land at around £200 in Britain.
As a bit of a Canon fanboy I have to say that you can't beat the Canon PowerShot A60 in this pricerange. it's not the smallest camera out there but it will give you high quality pictures with the possibility of more manual settings. It also use standard R6 batteries.

If you're looking for more of a compact "point and shoot" camera the Nikon CoolPix 3500 is a good choice.

I recomend that you get 256mb mem aswell, CompactFlash is prefered since it's substancially cheaper.

steves digicams (http://www.steves-digicams.com/) is a good source for reviews.

TheDude
12-07-2003, 12:10 PM
Nikon CoolPix 3500 is a great point and shooter, good choice.

hollywood
12-07-2003, 01:41 PM
Nikon is THE brand.

They stick with inexpensive CF cards, have Nikor lenses and one of the fastest CMOS sensors in the industry.

My father has the Coolpix 4500 3.1mp.

I love working with that camera....Give Nikon a go.

st0nedpenguin
12-08-2003, 06:00 AM
Cheers fellas, I'll be having a more in depth look in the new year, I need to get me a camera if I'm finally getting a DLS connection sorted out, mmm, 1Mb...

Bit of an improvement from my last connection, 56k. :D