PDA

View Full Version : I need to seek Professional help

INFRNL
11-22-2009, 12:29 PM
I know you guys love my misleading Titles :ROTF: :shrug:

I do need to seek profession help as I am getting more and more addicted. I didn't know exactly where to post this cause its a multipart thread.

So here it is: I am planning one last build for the year.

Microcenter: 920 D0, Antec 300, misc

Ewiz: Foxconn Flaming Blade

Take a stick of ram from another puter, too expensive to buy new; over double of what it once was not long ago

Megahalem Rev B: Heatsink Factory, possibly used

GPU: Pulled from another system for now, then either 260/275 used
Thats a basic list for the new build.

Now for more complications:
as of this past week I have been having all kinds of problems.
I have been getting driver stopped and recovered errors. I have not had this problem before so I think its either driver related or boinc related :shrug:(I should add, the only recent change has been updated beta driver and boinc) The bad thing is I can revert back and I am still getting the error on a couple puters. This problem will error out wu's and have to reboot to fix. Makes me wonder if its boinc or something else.
The main 2 systems giving me problems is my wifes, but I think that is due to a failing PSU ( Nothing changed, yesterday computer kept shutting down. had to switch off/on the psu to get it back on)(Currently running same setup but pulled the 275 and replaced with the 260) I am still having the driver failure, but may be the overclock on the card:shrug:
I need to know what the max shaders for a GTX 260 are:shrug:? I have seen people claiming around 1700 on the shaders :shrug: I have now backed down to 1656. After I build the new system and know its stable, I will try the GTX 260 in it to see if I can get the shaders back up :shrug:

When I get the parts in this week, I will probably be rearranging a few things.

Bottom line: I guess I need to know if anyone else is having the driver failure problem and Do you know what the cause is?

I need a PSU recommendation that can power 2 GTX 275's or future 300series? If its around the $150-175 mark; I will just get another Enermax Revo1050. I would like it around $100 or less. Not sure if a TX750 or similar is enough?

Lastly: Who has an SSD and what are your thoughts? I am thinking about getting one as I will need a hard drive. I am currently using the 640gb black WD drives, but thought about an ssd for my main system.
Then, if i get one, do I go Intel 80 or 160gb; or go with OCZ/Indilinx?

Thats all I will bother you with for now, sorry for the dragged out thread:rofl: :up:

[XC] 4X4N
11-22-2009, 12:50 PM
If you are getting almost 1700 on the shaders of a 260, you are doing way better than me. My current 260 will error at anything above 1500, and the one I just sold would error at 1450. That was with folding, can you run the shaders higher on gpugrid? Also, do core and memory clocks matter much?

INFRNL
11-22-2009, 01:25 PM
4X4N;4121703']If you are getting almost 1700 on the shaders of a 260, you are doing way better than me. My current 260 will error at anything above 1500, and the one I just sold would error at 1450. That was with folding, can you run the shaders higher on gpugrid? Also, do core and memory clocks matter much?

I can run at approx 1700 on shaders, but drivers stop about once a day. so I think it might be too high. I am not closer to 1650, will see how it goes. could be drivers or boinc.

Some here will say that; can't recall, they have said either mem or core will help too, but I have not noticed any difference.
I just oc the shaders and call it good. I have bumped up mem and core a decent amount and have not noticed any benefits.

I will have to play around, see if mem or core change the gflops rating: I think thats basically what determines how well it will do.

Right now my 275's are @ 778gflops on boinc 6.10.18/19
the gtx 260 right now is around 720gflops maybe slightly less now@1650.
Weird thing is my gtx 260 is an evga vanilla, but the shaders from factory are set @1350. I think the specs call for in the 12's:shrug: I am not the original owner, I do not think he flashed the bios on it or anything like that.

Forgot to add, on my GTX 275's My shaders can only go as high on gpugrid as they do on F@H

OldChap
11-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Gtx 260's will fold year round at 1566 shaders in my experience but then I don't get above 30 deg ambient.... grid should be the same, above this speed I get fails that depend on temps it seems

I had the same problem with drivers above 185.xx and older 260's stopped/recovered I doubt that you can fix if you have older ones too

275's are rated at 220w each so in theory a psu like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006 should be enough although if you want the best maybe look at johnny guru's reviews mentioned in the value part of this http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=165 (costs a bit more though) ;)

DAK1640
11-22-2009, 02:04 PM
My Corsair 750W runs (2) GTX 275's...It also runs (2) GX2's

INFRNL
11-22-2009, 05:51 PM
Gtx 260's will fold year round at 1566 shaders in my experience but then I don't get above 30 deg ambient.... grid should be the same, above this speed I get fails that depend on temps it seems

I had the same problem with drivers above 185.xx and older 260's stopped/recovered I doubt that you can fix if you have older ones too

275's are rated at 220w each so in theory a psu like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006 should be enough although if you want the best maybe look at johnny guru's reviews mentioned in the value part of this http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=165 (costs a bit more though) ;)

My Corsair 750W runs (2) GTX 275's...It also runs (2) GX2's

Then why did you guys let me get the Antec CP-850 :shakes: :rofl: J/K
I like the antec, will not quite run 2 gtx 275's, but has a little overhead I guess if the corsair 750 is enough.
Now I need to go through the FS sections of 4 forums to see if I can find a good deal. I know there are some selling the tx750/750tx for $75; not sure if thats good for a used one as Newgg has new for $100 and will have 10%cb for black friday. I will have to look.

I will keep an eye on everything and see how it goes with everything.
FYI, got back fro MC a few minutes ago. Bought that antec 300, Collermaster 310 Blue(for my 6yr old son) I7 920 D0 3939B078(hope its a good one, didnt do my research before I went), and I picked up a couple Wireless N adapters for cheap.

Now to find a PSU, HDD, HSF, and order my mobo.

ANY thoughts on SSD's? :shrug: Thanks for the help so far fellas; I knew I could count on you.
On a side note: anyone having problems with P55 and usb adapters? Bob, Emu. I have 3 different ones with no luck getting them to work. Might have to sell off my P55 if I cannot resolve this issue, or I suppose I might be able to figure something else out, but I do not like when simple things like this do not work.

Snow Crash
11-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Shaders: I can't go much over 1500 on my 295 likely due to heat and my 285 is sitting solid as a rock at 1674 (had 1 crash at 1692)
Driver: 191.07 seems to be working just fine on Vista Ultimate 64 (that's the 295 using BOINC 6.10.17) and chugging along just fine for XP Pro 32 (285 on BOINC 6.10.18).

INFRNL
11-23-2009, 12:01 AM
maybe its me then. I don't know if it matters or if I mentioned it, but I am on Win7 64. things seem to have been better today; I think I only had the one problem with the driver stopping on the GTX260 before I dropped it down to 1650 shaders

I am now currently having an issue trying to get a wireless adapter to work on my P55 system. I am also having a hard time finding money to get all the hardware for my new x58. needing new PSU's is what is really killing me. I cannot skimp on a psu and I need it to be somewhat future proof, although I think I am getting close to my limit on systems and gpu's. maybe if I was smart I would build more systems and only run 1-2 gpus to save money on PSU's :shrug: :rofl:

123bob
11-23-2009, 09:20 AM
INFRNL, I don't run any wireless USB adapters on my P55. Other than that, I've never seen a problem with USB ports running thumb drives, DVD ROMs, keyboards, etc. I have an MSI P55 board.

As to acquiring parts, have you thrown them on your Christmas list? Santa might be able to help you out. :rofl: Just leave a very detailed list laying around, labeled "INFRNL's Christmas List" and maybe Santa's elves will find it?

Also, I quit trying to run driver 195.xx It seemed to have reset issues on the rig I was trying it out on with a 260-216.

Bob

Paladin
11-23-2009, 04:49 PM
INFRNL, what do you have your 275's clocked at? I am running mine at 666/1512/1188 (core/shad/mem) with a Corsair 750 p/s and haven't had a problem with any driver or BOINC version. Currently running driver 191.03 (XP64) & BOINC 6.10.17.

INFRNL
11-23-2009, 06:52 PM
INFRNL, I don't run any wireless USB adapters on my P55. Other than that, I've never seen a problem with USB ports running thumb drives, DVD ROMs, keyboards, etc. I have an MSI P55 board.

As to acquiring parts, have you thrown them on your Christmas list? Santa might be able to help you out. :rofl: Just leave a very detailed list laying around, labeled "INFRNL's Christmas List" and maybe Santa's elves will find it?

Also, I quit trying to run driver 195.xx It seemed to have reset issues on the rig I was trying it out on with a 260-216.

Bob
I think I am currently running boinc 18&19. Drivers are now all 191.03 and 1 is 190.68? I will leave a list soon :yepp:

INFRNL, what do you have your 275's clocked at? I am running mine at 666/1512/1188 (core/shad/mem) with a Corsair 750 p/s and haven't had a problem with any driver or BOINC version. Currently running driver 191.03 (XP64) & BOINC 6.10.17.

I cannot recall: I believe 648/1620/1188. I have been running these settings since before i started gpugrid on F@H with no issues.
Today I had only 1 issue with the GTX 260. GTX 260 now @ 1637, but shows 1620. I think this might be stable, not sure yet.:shrug: The reason why i say this is because i was messing around yesterday. While folding, I ran the windows accessment(however you spell it) tool and while crunching and folding with it running; it would make the driver fail. Today i lowered shaders a bit more and reran twice with no issues. I will see by tomorrow if it hold up.

This weekend I will revert back on boinc and stick with 191.07 drivers to see how it goes.

lastly; Santa is coming this week and my wife will be bringing out the butcher knife:rofl: Yesterday I bought an antec 300, collermaster 310 blue for my son, I7 920, ordered me a foxconn flamingblade, and a Enermax Revo1050.

Now I need a HDD, and a good 750/850w PSU to power 2 gpu's.

As for the wireless adapter, I think I mentioned that evrything else works except for the wireless adapter. The wireless adapter works on win7 on all my x58 systems, just not P55. I have a query in with gigabyte on it :shrug:

I think that covers it today

INFRNL
11-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Sorry fellas; I am pulling cards to put back on F@H for a while. As much as I love it here I have to distribute my production.

On a side note, my gtx 260 made it all day today without issues. I have it set to 1637(graph says 1620) It produced a little over 17k today; I will continue to monitor.

I will be back in full force if you need me

Otis11
11-25-2009, 07:55 AM
Sorry fellas; I am pulling cards to put back on F@H for a while. As much as I love it here I have to distribute my production.

On a side note, my gtx 260 made it all day today without issues. I have it set to 1637(graph says 1620) It produced a little over 17k today; I will continue to monitor.

I will be back in full force if you need me

Thanks for the help!

Fold on! :up:

Kingcarcas
11-25-2009, 08:50 PM
EUEs finally gone?

INFRNL
11-25-2009, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the help!

Fold on! :up: No problem my friend; I will still maintain 100k+ ppd

EUEs finally gone?

Yes, so far so good on my GTX 260. I will continue to monitor. It produced over 23k today:up:

The only thing I have done was slowly dropped the shaders till it quit doing it.:shrug: