PDA

View Full Version : SLI GTX 280 and XP, one monitor only

Conumdrum
11-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Yep, I know it won't work I think. I tried adding a third GPU (8600GT) and plugged the second monitor into it, extended the desktop to it, tried SLI, no workie, still ONE SLI monitor. Runing 191.07 drivers. I don't think newer drivers would help?

I read that Vista or W7 allows SLI to extend to two monitors, is this true? And no matter what it's not possible in XP.

Just looking for verification I guess. If there is a work around with 3 GPUs, only two in SLI please let me know.

Looks like a possible UG to W7, and might have to get an SSD too, darn.

Thanks!

SoulsCollective
11-22-2009, 10:29 AM
That should work. Multi-monitor was not possible under SLi for ages, but as of I think the 180 release drivers it should be possible under all OSes.

I haven't used an nVidia SLi setup with a multi-monitor system since support was added, so I can't personally be of more use, but according to all the nVidia documentation I can see there's no OS restriction to multi-monitor support.

http://www.slizone.com/object/sli_multi_monitor.html#display

Conumdrum
11-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Well dug in more and more. Many forums etc. Looks like for dual SLI (only the primary is accelerated) to have the sceond monitor do anything even with a third GPU you need Vista/W7. I hate migrating to a new OS. Ohh well. Maybe I can get an SSD to make it worthwhile....................

tiro_uspsss
11-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Well dug in more and more. Many forums etc. Looks like for dual SLI (only the primary is accelerated) to have the sceond monitor do anything even with a third GPU you need Vista/W7. I hate migrating to a new OS. Ohh well. Maybe I can get an SSD to make it worthwhile....................

get OCZ agility or vertex & W7x64 :up:

Conumdrum
11-23-2009, 02:32 PM
tiro, thanks for the SSD drive input. Please support your input with post links and reviews. I'm looking at the Intel 160 one right now. Got W7 figured out, 64 OEM install.

I might wait a year for the SSD situation to mellow out and mature. I dunno yet. I 'don't need' an SSD, but umm I can if I wish to. I hate installing an OS and redoing all my drivers.

iTravis
11-24-2009, 01:04 AM
tiro, thanks for the SSD drive input. Please support your input with post links and reviews. I'm looking at the Intel 160 one right now. Got W7 figured out, 64 OEM install.

I might wait a year for the SSD situation to mellow out and mature. I dunno yet. I 'don't need' an SSD, but umm I can if I wish to. I hate installing an OS and redoing all my drivers.

If you're about to get the Intel X-25M G2 160GB then you probably don't need to look at reviews since it's one of the best SSD you can get for now. Heck I could replace my Agility with an Intel if I have the extra cash but so far I'm happy with the OCZ so I'm good. And sure there's a difference in what you need and what you want but if you can afford it then it's totally worth it. Install OS, apps, and games on SSD and I guarantee that you never go back to HDD again. :up:

Conumdrum
12-09-2009, 07:16 AM
Update:
Passed on the SSD for now ordered a new 150 velociraptor and a 500G and W7 pro 64 OEM. I'll let ya know how it works after Xmas when I can open the box. Went all new HD so I can put the old 750 in if W7 install goes to poop.

So I'll be trying two GTX280's in SLI with the second monitor independant. Hope it works, we'll see.