PDA

View Full Version : Still confused about which ssd?

INFRNL
11-21-2009, 11:29 PM
I am currently contemplating getting an ssd. However I am torn between an Intel drive or OCZ drive :shrug:

I am not fully convinced that a ssd is worth the current cost, but I cannot get it out of my head. I read reviews that say OCZ has faster write times, but random read/write, intel is still better.

I am guessing that the Intel drives are better unless you are constantly transfering files or running programs that constantly access the hard drive?

I mainly just run my computers for Distributed computing, browse a bunch of sites on the internet constantly. Occasionaly play basic games. Basically the basic stuff that most people do on the computer; nothing out of the ordinary atm.

The OCZ drives seem cheaper which they are, but cost per GB is actually higher than intel since their drives are smaller.
I know there are many that are happy with both Intel and Indilinx drives, but I am not totally sure what I should be looking for.

I also really wish the 160gb drives were at the 80gb price, but I am not too sure the 80gig drive is big enough. I guess I would have to research to get rid of a lot of things in Win7 to downsize the overall size of windows.

I appreciate any opinions

zanzabar
11-22-2009, 12:37 AM
if your not heavy on IO then i would go with the 120GB agility (the vertex are nice but the 4k and 512k read write speeds are the same with larger 120/240GB as the agility so there is no point in the higher end for general use), if u do alot of IO then the intel gen2 is better and if u need quick transfer of large files then the vertex.

in your case im guessing that a 120GB agility or 60GB vertex would be best as u would need low IO but quick transfers, i have the 120GB agility and its nice windows7 boots from affter bios post to login in about 3sec and loads almost instantly affter log in (u get into windows and doing stuff faster than the windows sound) and its priced close to the 80GB intel.

the agility also maxes out the read and writes of the amd sb750 so its a vary nice fit if u dont have a raid card

as for price the vertex is $4/gb the intel 80GB is $3.75/GB and the agility 120GB is $3.03/GB

ChaosAD
11-22-2009, 08:46 AM
I m also considering an SSD with fresh win 7 install till xmas. But here in Greece the prices are a bit different. Ocz Vertex 60gb and Agility 60gb are same priced at 229 euros while Intel 80gb G2 is at 209 euros. I guess intel is the way to go right?

zalbard
11-22-2009, 09:02 AM
Intel, Intel, Intel. Way better! :up:
Unless you're planning to save up!

zanzabar
11-22-2009, 02:11 PM
I m also considering an SSD with fresh win 7 install till xmas. But here in Greece the prices are a bit different. Ocz Vertex 60gb and Agility 60gb are same priced at 229 euros while Intel 80gb G2 is at 209 euros. I guess intel is the way to go right?

yes go intel i if its cheaper than the 60GB

in the US though i still think that the 120GB agility is the best for the money and the 4k and 512k are as good as the vertex and about the same as the intel

INFRNL
11-22-2009, 07:47 PM
If I can get back on the newegg deal if its still good when stock comes back in; I see it like this:
60gb agility: $3.82/gb (229)
80gb Intel: $2.69-3/gb (215-240)
120agility: $3.08/gb (369)
160 Intel: $2.59/gb (415-460)

I think I should have pressed submit when I had the Intel in my cart for $415 or I will wait it out and get sub $100 drives for now.Would like to see what ssd is all about though

KB24LA
12-01-2009, 03:11 PM
i'm also thinking of bying Agility 60Gb for around 265$ or Corsair P Series 64Gb for the same price...
what's the best choice in my case?

Computurd
12-01-2009, 03:36 PM
they are so close, in so many respects, the intel v vertex debate....
now the corsair v agility there is no question,. get the agility. corsair isnt close.

ProStreetCamaro
12-01-2009, 04:48 PM
I can tell you this much. With windows 7 X64 and my 128GB patriot torqx (same as vertex and crucial drive) everything loads and opens almost instantly. Honestly best upgrade I have ever done. How the intel drive can be any better is beyond me. Windows loads and is fully functional in no time flat. Games load up and load maps (fps games) super fast to the point I am taking short naps (ok maybe a little exaggeration but you get the idea) waiting for others to load up. If I were you I would get the 120GB agility.

INFRNL
12-01-2009, 05:12 PM
I can tell you this much. With windows 7 X64 and my 128GB patriot torqx (same as vertex and crucial drive) everything loads and opens almost instantly. Honestly best upgrade I have ever done. How the intel drive can be any better is beyond me. Windows loads and is fully functional in no time flat. Games load up and load maps (fps games) super fast to the point I am taking short naps (ok maybe a little exaggeration but you get the idea) waiting for others to load up. If I were you I would get the 120GB agility.

I was going to order the Agility today from newegg as they had it for $319-30rebate, but I lost track of time at work. Now the deal is gone, but they still have the 160gb Retail Intel G2 for $424 :shrug: I should have quit screwing around and bought the Agility. Oh well there will be more deals one day, not too sure If I really want to buy a $400 160gb hard drive

zanzabar
12-01-2009, 05:22 PM
424 is a good deal for the 160GB intel get it and be done with it, thats the best drive IMO for mlc on a desktop and have money, were i like agility is for when the intels arnt on sale and for laptops

INFRNL
12-01-2009, 06:13 PM
424 is a good deal for the 160GB intel get it and be done with it, thats the best drive IMO for mlc on a desktop and have money, were i like agility is for when the intels arnt on sale and for laptops

Thanks, wish newegg had cashback still, especially 10% that they had till early yesterday :(

Wolf132
12-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Once you go to SSD, you never go back.

pjkenned
12-01-2009, 10:02 PM
The difference between the Intel and Indilinx drives (have an Agility and Vertex) is not anywhere near as noticeable as a spindle drive (any type as I was coming from 15k SAS Raid 5) in real world usage. I swap between them and don't notice it other than the size of my C:\ drives. Benchmarks show differences though, and it is OK to be concerned with them. Real world, it just isn't as big of an issue unless you happen to run a usage pattern like a particular benchmark that favors one controller over the other. One thing I have noticed is that I really need 256GB. If Dell ever has the 256GB Samsung drive for <400 again I may pick one up.

INFRNL
12-02-2009, 10:29 PM
One thing I have noticed is that I really need 256GB. If Dell ever has the 256GB Samsung drive for <400 again I may pick one up.

I heard the OCZ Summit 256gb (Samsung) performs very close to the Vertex in most respects and samsung drives are better in others because of the huge cache they possess. :shrug:

If I saw a 256gb drive for $400 I would probably be all over it too; wouldn't matter at that price and from what I read a samsung based drive would still be better than a spindle drive.

I couldn't decide and let the deals pass. I will have to wait it out for new deals. No big deal; If you have never experienced it, you will never know what you could be missing...or however that saying should be :ROTF:

KB24LA
12-05-2009, 05:20 AM
And how about Mushkin MKNSSDIO64GB SSD?
specifications say

Read Speed: up to 230MB/sec
Write Speed: up to 160MB/sec

Earzz
12-05-2009, 05:31 AM
And how about Mushkin MKNSSDIO64GB SSD?
specifications say

Those number dont say anything tbh, its all about random write/read performance and there is where Intel shines.
The benchmarks that count for me are AS SSD Benchmark and PCMark as they give you the only good real life performance.

I can also tell you that for example if you record a game whit FRAPS the cap to record with decent framerates is the write speed of your HD/SSD and my Intel G2 blows away my Vertex.

The Indilinx drives arent bad but the Intel drives are just a good bit better.

Ao1
12-05-2009, 06:13 AM
^ Not to mention lower cost per GB, better wear levelling and instant, zero hassle native OS trim. What is there for the OP to be confused about?

Xoulz
12-12-2009, 09:51 AM
I am currently contemplating getting an ssd. However I am torn between an Intel drive or OCZ drive :shrug:

I am not fully convinced that a ssd is worth the current cost, but I cannot get it out of my head. I read reviews that say OCZ has faster write times, but random read/write, intel is still better.

I am guessing that the Intel drives are better unless you are constantly transfering files or running programs that constantly access the hard drive?

I mainly just run my computers for Distributed computing, browse a bunch of sites on the internet constantly. Occasionaly play basic games. Basically the basic stuff that most people do on the computer; nothing out of the ordinary atm.

The OCZ drives seem cheaper which they are, but cost per GB is actually higher than intel since their drives are smaller.
I know there are many that are happy with both Intel and Indilinx drives, but I am not totally sure what I should be looking for.

I also really wish the 160gb drives were at the 80gb price, but I am not too sure the 80gig drive is big enough. I guess I would have to research to get rid of a lot of things in Win7 to downsize the overall size of windows.

I appreciate any opinions

The answer is extremely simple!

A computer is a system & many people forget this fundamental point. You are confused, because you don't exactly understand why you need a SSD.

A hard drive is a storage device and typically mechanical and slow.. yet rotational drives still serve their purpose and great for what they do. But SSD's have benefits, but those have to be used wisely or buying one is pointless. (ie: bragging rites, etc)

Understand, files such as MP3's, Movies, Torrents, Photos, etc.. don't benefit being on an SSD. But imagine placing your OS on a RAM drive?

Because, no matter what you are ever doing on your computer, the Operating System is constantly reading and writing ancillary small files. The quicker this can be done, the quicker your over-all computer will be. As one of the benefits of SSD's are it's ability to access files quickly. Nearly instant!

Secondly, Windows 7 (64bit) fully loaded, with ancillary (and necessary) add on, such as Adobe acrobat reader, quicktime, java, etc will use up only about 18GB of storage..!

^^^^^ :idea: ^^^^^

So, just use a SSD for your OS..! :comp10:

The following is a perfect I/O storage sub-system for nearly 99% of the people on the planet:

C: 40GB SSD (Intel G2)
D: 640GB (WD Black)

Under $200 for both, it's hard to argue for anything more, unless you specifically need a larger SSD.