PDA

View Full Version : Graphic design monitor? Performs like iMAC?

k2krafty1
11-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Hi- I need a new monitor, my MAG just isn't up to the task anymore. I am a photo/graffix editor and need something that is vivid, glossy and great in color representation. I work on iMACs sometimes and love the way they look/work. If someone could refer me to a monitor that performs like the iMACs do that would be great.

Machinus
11-21-2009, 06:28 PM
any calibrated IPS

AndrewZorn
11-21-2009, 08:02 PM
glossy AND great in color representation?

isnt that a contradiction

k2krafty1
11-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Machinus can you go into detail what IPS calibration entails? Not familiar with this.

"glossy AND great in color representation?"

Haha- well I will be working in a room with no windows, and soft flouros so I will not have to deal with glare. The iMACs seem to be glossy, and the way pictures look on those monitors is stunning they look somewhat correct comparing them to the print out. But I guess monitor - printer calibration is another topic lol. J/C- you don't like glossy?

Thanks guys. I am on a $450 budget

zanzabar
11-22-2009, 12:18 AM
an uncalibrated ips pannel is about $425 so i dont think that your going to work well, nec has good panels for graphic design just make sure that the vewing angle is 170 degrees or better and it says IPS

Machinus
11-22-2009, 04:08 AM
mac panels are ok but they are not the best quality you can get. buy a newer IPS version panel from a company with product support. if you want the best color and images you will have to buy a calibrator and use that on your monitor as well. that will be better than any mac display

AndrewZorn
11-22-2009, 09:16 AM
i thought that the glossy finish is what makes the colors 'pop' (and also makes them unrealistically vibrant)

isp
11-22-2009, 10:49 AM
I hear ya man. I've always worked in a light controlled room as well and glossy isn't a problem for me. I prefer it actually..."sparkle effect" from certain anti-glare panel coatings drives me crazy! :o

The NEC 20wmgx2 was a really good unit that was available a few years ago, but can be a challenge to find now...not to mention 20" @ 1680 res is kind of limiting these days.

tbh it sounds like you just want an iMac dude, check out the 27" new ones...they're even better than the predecessors. Pixel density is incredible!

Machinus
11-22-2009, 03:34 PM
really i wouldnt waste money on a mac if you just want the monitor. any 1200p IPS will look better once it is calibrated. just research 24-30" ips panels

k2krafty1
11-23-2009, 12:50 AM
Thanks guys- looks like I have some more research to do. Am I getting this right- NEC sells no monitors with gloss?

STEvil
11-23-2009, 04:58 PM
probably not, gloss doesnt fix/help anything really.

Project22a
12-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Look into a Dell U2410 or HP LP2475W. Both are 24" IPS panels. However, neither are glossy (and I'm actually not sure there are many panels out there that are).

MSRP on both are in the $500's, however coupon codes and such pop up occasionally that drive them down into the $400's.

k2krafty1
12-11-2009, 12:47 AM
Thanks- I will look into them. Still debating. I will keep you updated

k2krafty1
12-12-2009, 01:43 AM
Well it sounds like glossy is not a fav for photo editing. Project22a- That HP sounds like a favorite and a damn good monitor- I would go and get one today but it is a bit above my NEW budget. After doing some reading and Machinus tip, it sounds like I will have to get a calibrator to boot... So the $450-500 budget needs to include some sort of calibrator. I am looking into the Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA anyone hear anything about the dells quality? I read someone said it was an IPS but at that price I doubt it. I was wondering if someone might be able to look at the specs on that one and help me out in identifying the specs- if the specs are good, and if it is indeed an IPS. Here is a link- http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=corp&sku=320-7825

Also I read in CPU magazine that the Samsung SyncMaster 2233RZ got the best reviews of their monitor shoot out. Not sure if that is gloss or not or if it is an IPS. Also that got best overall- not specific for editing. It comes with 3d nvidia support etc. stuff I probably wouldn’t need.

Project22a
12-18-2009, 09:31 PM
I haven't checked back on this thread in a while, hopefully you're still following. If you're looking to save a whole lot of money on calibration, you can rent one from borrowlenses.com rather than buying one for a few hundred and only using it once or twice.