PDA

View Full Version : Recognize helpful members...

sandman
12-05-2003, 01:37 PM
I know that most all the members here are helpful, but I think a setup similar to being a senior over at oc-forums would be nice.

Maybe come up with a cool name and an extra ability or soemthing.

If it's a bad idea, I tried.

Iridium192_217
12-07-2003, 04:11 PM
I like the idea...

JBELL
12-07-2003, 05:16 PM
we have that here but due to title changes it is harder to spot them....

IFMU
12-07-2003, 05:24 PM
We do?

Kurupt
12-07-2003, 10:54 PM
VIPs

st0nedpenguin
12-15-2003, 09:40 AM
How would one go about getting a custom title?

I ask in a rather snobbish fashion, if I do say so myself...

CCW
12-15-2003, 10:17 AM
You must ask a forum Administrator or Tech Team Member ;)

Originally posted by Kurupt
VIPs

They are not designated as such, only they know they are VIPs

Holst
12-15-2003, 10:29 AM
We do.. saaya is an example (I think :P )

Smizack
12-15-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by CCW
You must ask a forum Administrator or Tech Team Member ;)

They are not designated as such, only they know they are VIPs

Good point.

But actually, that's where "xtreme member" got it's start.

CCW
12-16-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Holst
We do.. saaya is an example (I think :P )

...and me!

Smizack ,the point is that those people that had the Xtreme Member title dont post much anymore, we have different tiles now but they only go by post count, which can be spammed anyway so those titlkes to not indicate someone is helpful.

Craig

Smizack
12-16-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by CCW
...and me!

Smizack ,the point is that those people that had the Xtreme Member title dont post much anymore, we have different tiles now but they only go by post count, which can be spammed anyway so those titlkes to not indicate someone is helpful.

Craig

Some do, some dont.

I know what you mean bro, all they have to do is ask first off, then it's up to the admin.

Marci
12-17-2003, 07:24 AM
Some of us don't like to ask... *shrugs* With the XS Member thing previously you had to be nominated n' suchlike so i've just sat here quietly fer years postin' away as per usual...

DaGooch
12-17-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Marci
Some of us don't like to ask... *shrugs* With the XS Member thing previously you had to be nominated n' suchlike so i've just sat here quietly fer years postin' away as per usual...

It seems rather odd and shame on JBell for not noticing your contributions to date. :P

JBELL
12-17-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by DaGooch
It seems rather odd and shame on JBell for not noticing your contributions to date. :P

marci is a great member but how do I know what you want unless you tell me.

my mind reading powers stopped working 2 years ago... I need verbal communication on some medium.

TheDude
12-17-2003, 11:33 AM
They should not have to ask. It's up to us to notice. Someone like Marci would never ask, while someone who doesn't do half what he does would be quick to ask. ;)

JBELL
12-17-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by TheDude
They should not have to ask. It's up to us to notice. Someone like Marci would never ask, while someone who doesn't do half what he does would be quick to ask. ;)

I notice ability, vip program had stopped and I had not noticed a want for cutom title.....

TheDude
12-17-2003, 11:46 AM
I'm not saying you didn't notice. I didn't even know we had anything like this going on. My point is that the really helpful peeps are not the kind to ask, they don't do it for that reason.

CCW
12-17-2003, 11:52 AM
I didn't even know we had anything like this going on.

Really? I can fill you in with a few details. Originally, when traffic on XS was very slow, certain people were given new titles called "XS MEMBER" or something similar, a search through old threads in the VIP section can show this. Their job was to make sure no thread was left unanswered, even if they didnt know the answer their job was to make sure the poster knew that their thread hadnt been ignored and that they would try their best to make sure someone answers it. XS has grown a lot bigger now so the system died out as there were more people to answer threads and it seemed to me from the old threads Ive been through that their main task was to make sure no thread went unnoticed, basically to keep everyone happy.

Only a few people have custom titles other than mods/admins who can change their title at will. These people have usually asked for a title unless it was gavce anyway for example antipop has "Xtremely slow runner" due to a joke a while back between him and JBELL, I also originally had "Loves the Mouse Cord" due to a long running joke. I must admit, since then I have asked for it to be changed so I suppose im not on the helpful people list, LoL

TheDude
12-17-2003, 01:36 PM
Doesn't anyone understand what I mean when I say that people like Marci (picking on him today) would not ask for a VIP title? I would not ask either. It would be like asking to be a mod or an admin....it should be earned and awarded for work done above and beyond. IMO anyway. Just the way I feel about it...doesn't mean I'm right....you can agree or disagree as long as you understand what I'm trying to say. ;)

JBELL
12-17-2003, 01:53 PM
Doesn't anyone understand what I mean when I say that people like Marci (picking on him today) would not ask for a VIP title? I would not ask either. It would be like asking to be a mod or an admin....it should be earned and awarded for work done above and beyond. IMO anyway. Just the way I feel about it...doesn't mean I'm right....you can agree or disagree as long as you understand what I'm trying to say. ;)

I understand but also understand i cant and wont read minds .. if it aint broke then dont fix it....

Marci
12-17-2003, 02:24 PM
I know what you're saying JB, don't worry... no-one's askin' you to read minds... the rest of the section mods should be doin it... S'just the way it works on most other forums I've been on... I assumed it worked like that here...

Easiest way would be to get the individual section moderators to keep an eye on their own sections and if they notice someone who goes above n' beyond n' suchlike then just to pop a quick nomination thread up in the existing VIP Section (the one that just appeared on the forum index... ta guys.... s'an honor)...

That way, JBELL only has to watch one thread... doesn't hurt to have 2 systems in effect.... one for those that ask, and one for those that just deserve it for their contribution thus far etc...

The Vapor Phase Change section is a killer for demo-ing this one, as you consistently have the same people dealing with most of one type of enquiry, another dealing with another type... in some sections this has been goin' on for years with various people...

It may be an advantage to help keep some of the longtermers hangin around more frequently as there is a bit of a n00b sw00p comin down on XS recently across the board... which can cause some that have been around awhile to get a bit put off... there are a lot of peeps I don't see round here as often as we used to and it always makes me wonder if that's the cause... it's something I've had to watch for on my own forums...

Either way, spankin job as always peeps!

jmg823
12-17-2003, 03:12 PM
i only been here since august and im not very helpful(i try to be) but im normally the one asking the questions and i do say that almost every post im made has been answered and helpful and the people that answer alot of the time are the same people. they should be reconized, and possibly rewarded

TheDude
12-17-2003, 03:41 PM
My post was not about you JB. :slapass:

Smizack
12-17-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by JBELL
marci is a great member but how do I know what you want unless you tell me.

my mind reading powers stopped working 2 years ago... I need verbal communication on some medium.

Edzachery!
If you want something - ask. That simple.

CCW
12-17-2003, 11:44 PM
Marci is still an "Xtreme Addict" though, not an XIP?

JBELL
12-18-2003, 07:04 AM
ill change

sandman
12-18-2003, 01:34 PM
Man, just when you thinka topic is dead, it goes and gets another 20 replies.

CCW
12-18-2003, 01:36 PM
Well its been voted on, so XIPs are now being chosen.

CCW
12-19-2003, 09:22 AM
New "recognised helpful members" from now on known as X.I.Ps are as follows:

Marci
Saaya
Major Slaughter
Charlie
sjohnson

sjohnson
12-19-2003, 12:34 PM
Wuh? How for, I mean why come????

(blush) Txxxx!

PyroTeknik
01-13-2004, 07:23 PM
was wondering what the deuce xip meant........... i got it now..

CCW
01-14-2004, 12:47 AM
Xtremely Important Person

Jupiler
01-15-2004, 01:21 AM
I was wondering what X.I.P. meant. Got it now.;)
Good initiative, BTW.