PDA

View Full Version : HIS 5970 Fan Problem

Dopamin3
11-20-2009, 05:00 PM
I just got a 5970 in the mail today. It runs great and everything, but I have one problem with it. The fan is not securely in place.

The fan is able to move up and down fairly easily. When I put it in the case with the motherboard vertically, as a case normally is, the fan extends towards the bottom of the card and makes a nonstop clicking noise. If I run the case on it's side, this problem does not occur.

Has anyone had anything like this on any 58xx or 59xx stock cards? Is there an easy fix? If I disassemble it would it be easy to secure the fan somehow?

Rukian
11-20-2009, 05:12 PM
I think this is your fan problem and you should RMA it. Because I got this problem with my old 4650. But it not really affect my card's perform..

Dopamin3
11-20-2009, 05:18 PM
I think this is your fan problem and you should RMA it. Because I got this problem with my old 4650. But it not really affect my card's perform..

Thanks for the reply. I would rather not RMA because these cards are so hard to find, who knows when I would get the next one :(

Rukian
11-20-2009, 05:20 PM
I know I am waiting for mine actually. But what if this card mess up after let's say 6 months of use. And burn your motherboard. Let's do it in safer way buddy. They said there is more stock in Nov 25th.

Glow9
11-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the reply. I would rather not RMA because these cards are so hard to find, who knows when I would get the next one :(

If you just got it, return it to where you bought it from skip the RMA process all together.

Dopamin3
11-20-2009, 05:51 PM
RMA back to newegg it is. Hopefully they will reserve a 5970 for me when they come back in stock. If not, I'll just take the cash back :(

Rukian
11-20-2009, 06:13 PM
Or you can just take that fan off and wait for water block ^^ it will safe more time.

Wesker
11-20-2009, 06:43 PM
I had the same problem with a 4870.

I simply tightened the screws that held the fan in place (IIRC, you can access them from the back of the card's PCB). They were loose, which caused to fan to droop when inside a case.

The clicking noise was very annoying, but it's very easy to fix.

Ch3ck5um
11-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Someone in the radeon factory has forgotten their screwdriver.

W1zzard
11-23-2009, 09:08 AM
I had the same problem with a 4870.

I simply tightened the screws that held the fan in place (IIRC, you can access them from the back of the card's PCB). They were loose, which caused to fan to droop when inside a case.

The clicking noise was very annoying, but it's very easy to fix.

could you elaborate on that ? maybe with pics ?

jfer
11-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Someone in the radeon factory has forgotten their screwdriver.

ROFL!! Apparently with more frequence than we would like to see!

HydrogenAlpha
11-25-2009, 12:54 AM
I just got a 5970 in the mail today. It runs great and everything, but I have one problem with it. The fan is not securely in place.

The fan is able to move up and down fairly easily. When I put it in the case with the motherboard vertically, as a case normally is, the fan extends towards the bottom of the card and makes a nonstop clicking noise. If I run the case on it's side, this problem does not occur.

Has anyone had anything like this on any 58xx or 59xx stock cards? Is there an easy fix? If I disassemble it would it be easy to secure the fan somehow?

I'm having a similar problem with my 5970. It's funny - on my card (HIS) there is no play on the fan whatsoever, but it still makes a slight clicking sound when rotating. It's not intrusive with the case closed but I can always hear it.
I have a 5870 as well - don't ask why, I'm just greedy - and the fan is totally silent in 2D. The 2 cards have identical fans so there must be some subtle defect in my 5970. Noise really pisses me off so I'm thinking of returning the 5790 and maybe pick up a second 5870 instead.

What do you guys think? I know watercooling would be the best solution but I found it to be a pain in the ass and no quieter than good air cooling. I also hate the whole palaver of disconnecting and draining just to change a card.

dan7777
11-25-2009, 01:02 AM
i cant belive that such aa exspensive card can have a defect good old ati

wez
11-25-2009, 03:00 AM
Well you could always wait a little before you RMA it. I mean untill there are a better supply of them :)

purecain
11-25-2009, 05:50 AM
yeah my 5870 did it... i put my hand underneath the card and tapped the fan with my fingers(with a reasonable amount of pressure) until it went into place, with the card powered on....

this highly scientific method could work for you also....

good luck, let me know if it works for you....

wez
11-25-2009, 06:16 AM
Seems there are a few with loose fans here. What brand was the cards in question?

Splave
11-25-2009, 06:19 AM
^ATI ;)
Only different stickers at this point I believe

purecain
11-25-2009, 06:19 AM
mine is sapphire.... the mem doesnt clock very well iether on this card.... still does the job though....

HydrogenAlpha
11-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Seems there are a few with loose fans here. What brand was the cards in question?

As mentioned, mine's a HIS (also like the thread starter, though I really don't believe this is anything to do with HIS).

My fan's not even loose - it just makes a slight clicking noise as it rotates. I know it's not normal because my 5870 doesn't and they have identical fans.

Incidentally, have you guys read the anandtech article...

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=657

As usual, Anand puts his finger on the overclocking problem many have been facing. Maybe watercooling is the way forward on these cards after all as it would solve the VRM issue and the fan issue too.

I really think the 5970 is an amazing card - you have to see these things to believe them - and you always have to wonder what AMD could have done differently in the space provided to make them even better. They may not have enough screw drivers in the factory but they don't have wands either. :cool:

wez
11-25-2009, 02:48 PM
^ATI ;)
Only different stickers at this point I believe

Thats probably true yea :)

ReignsOfPower
11-28-2009, 11:54 PM
I also had a 'loose' fan problem on my 5970. It is a Sapphire Brand card.

Is there a way to tighten the screws so that it doesn't rattle when in my system? Even bumping my case a little makes the fan rattle.

Tighten screws on the card? Which ones exactly?

Does it sound like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvewfaXJevg

pinto
11-29-2009, 03:14 AM
I have the same annoying sound, mine is sapphire. I don't want to RMA it because it's a good clocker but shame on ATI! I got three 5870 on my other rig and no clicking fans...