PDA

View Full Version : Strange issues with multiple monitor setup on the GTX260

Alec
11-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Hey guys,
had this machine up and running for over a month now and have been putting up with the strange and seemingly tempremental monitor issues when booting up from cold.

I am running two GTX260s in SLI with two screens plugged into the top graphics card. One is a 24" widescreen plugged into the DVI port, and the other is an oldschool 17" TFT plugged into the normal DSUB port.

When the system turns on the graphics card displays the image on my main 24" screen, all the way through the windows 7 loading screen, but as soon as it gets to my login screen, I hit three possible outcomes:

Outcome 1. 24" Screen shows the no signal message and goes to standby while the 17" screen sits on a black screen but is not on standby.

Outcome 2. 24" Screen shows the no signal message and goes to standby, shortly afterwards the 17" screen pops up with the log in screen. Upon logging in I try to access the nvidia control panel to see if I can re-detect the monitors, but it gets stuck in an infinite loop of switching the desktop over from the 17" screen to the 24" screen which isnt even turned on, isnt even receiving a signal.

Outcome 3. 24" Screen shows login screen while the 17" screen shows a black screen, when logged in the 17" screen displays the extended desktop (working as intended).

I have tried reinstalling drivers many times, but it is still just chance as to whether I can successfuly boot into windows and get the monitor setup I want.

I have also recently swapped the cards over to see if it made any difference, to rule out possible hardware issues- and as expected, the problem persists.

I am thinking maybe its a windows 7 compatibility issue as it only happens when I get to the login screen- which afaik is when the graphics drivers are properly loaded.

My mobo is the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 model which I have updated the BIOS on to the latest release in hope of that solving the issues, also to no avail.

To be honest the problem isnt huge, but it is just such an annoyance and delays boot times loads due to me having to restart 5+ times before it suddenly works.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Alec

Hidamari295GTX
11-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Maybe you can try system-integrated display settings..

SocketMan
11-21-2009, 03:18 AM
1.Power off
2.Disconnect the 17''
3.Boot up,log in.
4.(Hot) Plug the 17's
5.Right Click "Screen Resolution",see if the 17'' is in there (greyed out).

Alec
11-21-2009, 06:55 AM
1.Power off
2.Disconnect the 17''
3.Boot up,log in.
4.(Hot) Plug the 17's
5.Right Click "Screen Resolution",see if the 17'' is in there (greyed out).

Yes that is how I boot now, unplug the 17" before booting up, have the monitors on also before booting up- log in and then plug in the 17", this tends to work but again there is the odd occasion where the 24" drops its connection and goes to standby even though on the resolution page it is shown up to be active.

Maybe its just a general thing that happens to this kind of card?

Chears for the replies, nice to have some feedback.

Alec