PDA

View Full Version : Should I go 30" or 120Hz?

rambo8521
11-20-2009, 03:23 PM
So I've been planning to upgrade my monitor for a long time, and reckon I will have the cash to do so pretty soon. But the question is, do I go for max resolution (30", 2560x1600), or do I go for 3D? As far as I'm aware, the limited bandwidth of DVI and HDMI standards means the res is limited to 1680x1050. Does 3D make much of a difference? I've never seen anything in 3D.

I'm more of a casual than hardcore gamer, but watch a lot of films and TV on my system.

I'm also pretty interested in the new LED / OLED tech that's coming onto the market; I've not seen much of it apart from walking past a few TVs in a supermarket and noting the difference, but assumed that at least some of said difference was due to the amount of time the older, non-LED screens had been used for.

I'm also toying with the idea of going all out and getting a 1080p projector, but I'm guessing it'd have pretty poor response times for gaming? Really don't know anything about projectors, other than a good one is pretty expensive..!

I'm currently running a 17" 1280x768 screen from about 2004. It does the job, but I just want a bigger res for general productivity.

What do you guys think? All comments gladly received.

RPGWiZaRD
11-20-2009, 03:28 PM
I don't think it's worth going 22" 120Hz for 3D gaming, only if you're a hardcore gamer like me that needs that high refresh rate to enjoy gaming. This ViewSonic VX2268wm altough some backlight bleed issues, is the first LCD I can use without wanting to go back to CRT @ 100Hz.

And no I'm not talking about 120Hz only as giving edge in online gaming but I'm very picky when it comes to motion smoothness and after I've gotten used to 100Hz on CRTs, I simply couldn't enjoy 60Hz anymore and it felt so unsmooth so it literally removed my enjoyment in gaming. It's a day and night difference in gaming in 120Hz vs 60Hz but unfortunately these entry 120Hz LCDs hasn't got that good quality. Well the ViewSonic has ok colors for a TN panel but it's got some backlight bleeding (not limited to my sample only) and contrast isn't the very best and the stand is very crappy but I liked it slightly more than the Samsung 2233rz tho despite that one had better contrast, didn't like the colors at all on the Samsung despite how I tweaked them.

The 120Hz LCDs feels pretty much same as gaming on a CRT tho, can't say the same about any 60Hz LCD I've tried tho. :p So for me any 120Hz LCD >>> any 60Hz LCD no matter price, the improved motion smoothness is that awesome.

AndrewZorn
11-20-2009, 06:27 PM
i cant help but to think there is some placebo effect in that statement
id really like to believe you, but i can barely believe the CRT crowd nowadays...
i think the difference might be perceivable in some situations
but i dont think you could look at one monitor, in most/any situation, and know which one it was (60/120hz) without having the other beside it

RPGWiZaRD
11-20-2009, 06:37 PM
LOL, yes I would definitely be able to tell right away and so would my friends as well after seeing it in action. In fact I'm even able to tell if it's running at 75 or 60Hz (on the models you actually can get 75Hz) cuz I did a blind test with help by my big bro who randomly switched between 60/75Hz and then fired up UT99 for me and I was right about all the 10 times we tried.

It's enough for me to move the mouse pointer around to distinguish the difference. Any movement on the screen is enough basicly. For me it's a requirement, I get annoyed by 60Hz when I know how 100Hz+ feels like, I've waited 5 years for true 120Hz LCD panels arrive as I tried forcing myself to get used to a 60/75Hz LCD but I could never accept/adjust to it (when there's something better option out there) so preferred digging for some used highend trinitron CRTs meanwhile.

AndrewZorn
11-20-2009, 07:53 PM
well, if it is true, it could solve my problem

i cant decide between a 30" IPS and a 42ish" TV, which cost about the same... because of "will i want such a big display" vs "is 30" enough for living room movies" etc

but if 120hz really is the bees knees
they dont have 120hz 30"
so i could get a 120hz TV, or a regular TV and a 120hz 22" monitor (great, just talked myself into more indecision)

slim142
11-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Thats a hard question but.....

My experience with Viewsonic has been bad. A VX922 that I had recently died on me (after ~3 years) which sucks because I dont play around with monitors, move them around or hit them. Once I set them in a place they stay there and this is the first time it happens. It had bad angle view too (more specifically, vertical view). It was a really good screen though, I liked the 2ms really helped a lot. ~4 dead pixels one which I fixed by putting pressure but other 3 were stuck. Lower left side so didnt bother.

Samsung, I have a 2243SWX and I hate it. I got it for $140 so I cant complain. The screen (many models it seems) come with super brightness and contrast and they are annoying. Every screen I had I never had to calibrate except for this one. Also, when I move a text file, the text WASHES OUT LIKE YOU HAVE NO IDEA IS HORRIBLE. Same thing with anything that moves fast. For gaming, it doesnt bother me, havent really noticed issues. What I like, well no dead pixels.

I have been checking newegg reviews and I concluded 1) samsung RMA sucks 2) most (if not all) monitors are TN (BAD TNs) 3) their quality is not what I used to hear from people startin from calibration.

So with that said, do I have any intention on buying 120hz screen? Maybe!

If I see the Samsung one in action and I see that 1) calibrating brightness I get a good color, then good and 2) most importantly, that when I move txt files or word documents txt doesnt WASH OUT or FADE OUT like its happening now, then Ill go for it.

$400 is a lot of money for a 22" so keep that in mind too

I know for sure that if they dont lower the price, Im probably going for a good 25" or 27" LG IPS screen. Im tired of TN

STEvil
11-20-2009, 08:54 PM
Make sure you get true 120hz displays and the scaler is properly handled by "game mode"... and that the colors/backlight/contrast/gamma etc are not changed by game mode (a lot do this)

isp
11-20-2009, 09:04 PM
wait for the panels in the new 27" iMac to get to other manufacturers ;)

I'm a big fan of the NEC 20wmgx2, so I'm basically waiting for a ... glossy, led backlit, IPS, with 2560 res :D

[XC] Synthetickiller
11-21-2009, 04:25 PM
wait for the panels in the new 27" iMac to get to other manufacturers ;)

I'm a big fan of the NEC 20wmgx2, so I'm basically waiting for a ... glossy, led backlit, IPS, with 2560 res :D

If the cost is between a 25.5" and a 30" I'd get a 27".

Seems ideal.
:up: