PDA

View Full Version : 4870x2 CF help!!!

Stvwndr219
11-20-2009, 06:52 AM
Ok, so long story short, I was able to get a great deal on some 4870x2s and proceeded to plug them in/ run them. However, on starting up the OS, Win 7 didn't do its usual - "oh look, there's a new device to install" and well everything got pretty messed up.

So I:
*ran driver sweeper and got rid of all previous drivers
*ran the catalyst 9.11 install package (coming from 9.10)
*tried to run crysis to make sure everything worked (RivaTuner and its sidebar gadget were working)

Here's where I ran into trouble:

Before even loading Crysis, the system locked up; everything else was working fine but somehow, loading any game, be it crysis, half-life, css all resulted in the same lockup.

Now I can't get back to 9.10s and occasionally get the code 43/code 19 errors in device manager.

My system is:
Asus P6T6
W3520 (4.2 ghz, 1.2 v)
6 GB Kingston RAM
2x4870x2
HX1000W CPU
2x1TB Black hdds
2x2TB Green hdds
and this is all water cooled and temps are fine when monitored.

So my question is:

What's causing this? Is it my PSU not having enough power? I haven't gotten any blue screens or anything - just a complete lockup of the computer that requires a hard reset.

Thanks!

texasreefer
11-20-2009, 08:24 AM
A couple questions:

-Did you install them both at the same time?

-Have you tried each one individually to make sure each is functioning correctly?

When you uninstal the driversyou have to go back in with cccleanerand remove any catalyst or ati files that are left over. Also, go into the Device Manager and make sure the '4870X2 drivers' are all gone. Reboot, and in the Device Manager the drivers should say 'standard VGA drivers', now reinstall catalyst.

Hope that helps...

Stvwndr219
11-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Hi,

Yes, I installed both at the same time - I didn't have a problem doing that with my 4890s previously.

It's a bit hard to test them individually as they are in the water cooling loop - is there any way I can just disable one of them to test the other?

Is CCCleaner better that Driver Sweeper? Also, it still comes back up as 4870x2 even after I uninstall from dev manager...

Stvwndr219
11-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Hi,

If it helps any, I got a 116 BSOD when booting up with a fresh install of vista installing catalyst 9.10s... Could it be the cards at fault?

jaredpace
11-20-2009, 02:55 PM
I dont think it's the cards. Try playing withe each card, one at a time. See how that goes.

Stvwndr219
11-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Hmmm, wouldn't they still have hardware acceleration if they were working? Catalyst 9.11 gives me a working card on the desktop but whenever I get to running a game it goes to the atikmdag error (or I think, there is no bsod but that's what comes up when I install any other version of catalyst). Also, here is something I found on [H] and his symptoms sound like mine exactly:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1451831

Any way to disable a card without taking it out of the pci-e slot?

Stvwndr219
11-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Ok, so I was able to boot up/use the card with the first card installed and power taken out of the second card. The second card shows two red LEDs and the system boots.

However, if I reverse that (take power from first card, give to second), the top card shows 3 red LEDs and the system won't boot... I'm trying to get each card on its own to install. What does the 2 led mean vs. the 3 led? Could it be the second card at fault?