PDA

View Full Version : quick multi monitor question

gamerfreak
11-19-2009, 09:13 PM
I was hoping to go with a gtx 260 216 core gpu, but I'm kinda sketchy on the multi monitor details. I've been googleing and searching the web but I cant really find any info on if the card can run more then 2 monitors without having to use sli. I plan on getting the gtx 260 then upgrade to fermi when that comes out.

I also realize that the 5 series cards can run multi monitor extremely well but I like the idea of computing on the gpu and the general direction that's going in. I know its not very practical rite now but who knows for the future. :shrug:

any information anybody can provide is greatly appreciated and thank you for any assistance.

puunakki
11-20-2009, 01:44 PM
No you cant run more than two monitors with single gtx260 and if i remember correctly you cant use three monitors when you have SLI. You must have 2 gfx cards but SLI must be disabled for use of three or more monitors.

zanzabar
11-20-2009, 01:52 PM
just the the hd5 card, if u want to compute and u want a new card then get the new NV card but the gf100 or 300 (whatever its being called) will use a different cuda meathod from the looks of it so the old cards might not work and the ati cards also have openCL so on a consumer lvl it wouldent make a ny sense to make something in cuda. so if multi monitor means something to u go ati (atleast as of now)

and the 260 is on a bad non voltera pcb now u would want to snag a used one if u wanted one now

gamerfreak
11-20-2009, 02:33 PM
k thanks for the info puunakki and zanzabar. the reason I want to get a new graphics card rite now is because I'm currently running a 7950gt and I'm really wanting to upgrade my gpu and screen. I'm kinda getting sick of running games on mediocre settings. the reason I was hoping to go with the gtx 260 is because I could then run physx on it if I got the gt100 or gtx300 or whatever its being called lol. it would feel less like a waste of money. hope that makes some sense?