PDA

View Full Version : My very first WC set-up

Appelflap
11-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Hi everyone,

I'd like to water-cool both my CPU & my GPU, but I have no experience. I tried to gather as much information I could, but I still have some questions.

System:

CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q9650
Motherboard: DFI LanParty DK P45-T2RS PLUS
CPU Overclock Speed: Not going to OC!!!
Video Card & Quantity: 1 x GainWard GTX260 Core216 (65nm)
Videocard Overclock: Not going to OC!!!

Two requirements:
1. Silent system
2. Clean looks

Watercooling:

CPU Block: Watercool HK3.0 LC or LT

I know that the new Swiftech XT waterblock is beter, but 75euro (LC: 34euro/LT: 48euro) is a lot of cash + I don't like the looks. What I don't know is, which HK3.0: LC or LT?

NorthBridge Block: -
SouthBridgeBlock: -
Mosfet Block: -
Videocard WB/WBs: D-Tek FuZion GFX2

Is the D-Tek a good choose? Should I go with a full cover block?

Radiator & Quantity: 1 x HWLabs SR-1 240
Radiator Fans & Quantity: 2 x Coolink SWiF2 1201
Radiator Location: Front
Radiator Fan Direction: Cool Air from outside the case, I guess.

Will a single 240 (120.2) radiator be enough? (little reminder: no overclocking!)
The fans will be connected to a fancontroller, so they won't be running @1200RPM(56CFM) all the time.

Reservoir: Tube/Bay

I don't know yet. Either a tube (EK?) or a bay reservoir. Any thoughts?

Tubing & Size: Masterkleer ID7/16 of Feser Tube ID3/8
Barb/Fitting Size: Bitspower Barb-fittings OD1/2 or Compression-fitting OD3/8

I prefer the 7/16 tubing, but 3/8 tubing is available in UV orange (Feser tubing, any good?). Any thoughts?

Pump & Quantity: 1 x Swiftech (Laing) MCP350 or MCP655
Pumps-Series/Parallel: -

I looking for a quiet pump. A lot of people recommend the MCP350, but somebody told me I could adjust the MCP655 and turn it into a quiet pump. Thoughts and/or recommendations?

Anything Else?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

millertime359
11-18-2009, 08:11 PM
The HK LT offers better temps, but seeing your not overclocking, it doesn't really matter. The LC will work just fine.

Seeing your watching costs, any reason for the SR1? It is a pricey rad that looks really nice, but doesn't perform very well. I would get a Swiftech MCR320-QP. It performs well and doesn't cost much.

The 240 would be fine if your not overclocking, but the 120.3 allows for a little extra room. You can run the fans a little slower, along with having room for a little overclocking if you get a little frisky.

Go GPU only if your on a budget. It will work just fine for you, seeing your not overclocking. If you want the looks, then get a FC.

Pumps don't really matter. You can undervolt a MCP350, but a MCP655 is nice as it has the switch built in.

I like 7/16 tubing myself, but tubing doesn't really matter, get what you like.

Res is completly up to you. They don't effect performance at all. That is purely your own personal preference.

Not certain about your fans, but a set of Gentle Typhoon 1450s would be a great set of fans too for you.

Mazlov
11-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Since you're looking to save some €€, why not get a Swiftech MCR220 or XSPC RX240? It's not like you have a lot of choice in shops, and the SR-1 is very expensive.

I'd recommend a MCP350+ResTop. A D5 is going to cost you a lot more €€ again. As a matter of fact, the 350+ResTop together cost less than a singel D5.

Appelflap
11-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Thx for the input.