PDA

View Full Version : Is my XFX 8800GTS 640MB dead/dying???

SuperKris
11-18-2009, 12:05 PM
I run a tripple screen setup with a 8800GTS for 2 DVI screens, and a 9500GT for my TV. The 8800 GTS is now around 2,5 years old.

for the last few months i have been losing my 2nd screen on the 8800GTS at startup. A reboot always fixed the problem.

But yesterday i installed L4D2, and after a few minutes of playing i started to have problems with the game crashing. I also had diagonal red stripes during that. After closing the game, my desktop was working fine.

I thought it might have been a driver issue, so i installed the last drivers (beta) and it worked for a few hours. But after those few hours the problems returned. this time the whole computer was crashing, but again i had the same stripes.

After a reboot the problem was gone again, but after a few minutes the problem was the same again. I was able to repeat this a few times, but after a few times i had red artifacts and wrong characters in the postscreen at startup.

My PSU is powerfull and only 3 months old.

My quiestions:

Is my XFX 8800GTS dying or already dead? or could there be another problem?

Does XFX offer any guarantee after 2,5 years?

If i would buy a new card, should i get a GTX 260, or a GTS 275?

Hidamari295GTX
11-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Is my XFX 8800GTS dying or already dead? or could there be another problem?
It depends on whether you have the same problem on other games. If not, use earlier drivers and report it to nVIDIA. They may tell you some useful information about the problems.

Does XFX offer any guarantee after 2,5 years?
I don't know but my XFXGTX280 only offers one-year limited warrenty, which is quite common in China.(It's said that XFX cards in US and Europe enjoys a lifetime warrenty... WTF,,,)

If i would buy a new card, should i get a GTX 260, or a GTS 275?
Both will be all right, but considering that you are using two screens which is quite a high resolution, I recommand GTX275.

Hidamari