PDA

View Full Version : HD5870 Fan problem

rickxbox
11-18-2009, 12:07 AM
I want to start ocing my Asus 5870 to about 1000/1250 but im having a problem with my fan. I cant control it anymore. In the start i could control it but now in Afterburner and in CCC i can move the bar all i want but the card is not changing the speed. I have tried reinstalling both programs but its not working.
My software is telling me that the fan is running on 50% but the noise to low for that. Could somebody check his gpu-z on what rpm your fan is when you are using it for 27%. I think mine is to low, so that mean my fancontroler on the card broke?

http://plaatjesupload.nl/bekijk/2009/11/17/1258475703-680.jpg

Chickenfeed
11-18-2009, 12:38 AM
Your controller is having issues for sure. Mine idles at 21% and roughly 40C at 1150 RPM. If the RPM readout is to believed yours is closer to 15 than 27 :shrug:

Only suggestions I have would be, complete driver and application reinstalls while reverting everything to stock.

rickxbox
11-18-2009, 01:53 AM
I have tried reinstalling all the software even try ed a other slot. When i'm running furmark the temp runs up to 95c. When I watch in CCC the software is telling me that the fan is running on 70% but then I watch in GPU-z the rpm is still around 870. Is it a chip that controls the speed of the fan that can die? The only option i think is left is placing it in RMA but this will cost me weeks to get a new one. :(

Piotrsama
11-18-2009, 12:11 PM
2 ideas:

Flash back to an Asus BIOS.
Update your drivers or revert to the version that came with your card.

rickxbox
11-19-2009, 12:03 AM
I have not chance my bios but I will try to use a older driver, but I don't think it will work I already have used 9.10-9.11 . When i'm back home I will try a older one and update my bios to a newer one.

Piotrsama
11-19-2009, 05:51 AM
You mentioned that you were using Afterburner, so I supposed that you flashed with MSI BIOS.
AFAIK, Afterburner won't work otherwise.

Bold Eagle
11-19-2009, 06:06 AM
Have you checked that the Fan connector is snug on the pins and hasn't worked loose?

rickxbox
11-19-2009, 07:01 AM
You mentioned that you were using Afterburner, so I supposed that you flashed with MSI BIOS.
AFAIK, Afterburner won't work otherwise.

Yes I used Afterburner, but its also working on Asus and other suppliers. Its no longer MSI only.

Have you checked that the Fan connector is snug on the pins and hasn't worked loose?

No not yet I will look at it when im back home, but I think its ok because my fan is still running but only on the lowest speed.

rickxbox
11-19-2009, 12:41 PM
I have flashed my bios to the newest but it was the newest so that was not the problem. I could try to flash it to a msi if that is posible? I uses 3 drivers 9.9-9.10-9.11 so that is also not the problem. I'm not going to check if the if the pins are ok because this will void my warranty. I now got 2 options left. 1 Try to flash it to a msi and hope it works. Does the warranty go off then I flash it to a msi? 2 Bring it back to the shop and get a new one. :P And i think its the last one.

Chickenfeed
11-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Flashing does technically void the warrenty however If you are able to flash back to the original you'll most likely still be in the clear.

95C sounds normal enough for Furmark under a prolonged heavy load for a 5870. If the fan controller were totally buggered, it would easily exceed 100+ and start throttling.

And yes Afterburner doesn't care what BIOS is used, you just have to work around the clockspeed and voltage limits imposed in your specific bios.

rickxbox
11-19-2009, 11:24 PM
I have flashed the card to a MSI bios but it dident work. 95c i think is to high I have seen guys much lower whit even a OC. Put your card on 100% fanspeed the cards sound is like a hair blower. I cant even hear my card when i running furmark my WC pomp is louder. It just running at 870rpm check your xfx when its running furmark its realy a hair blower. I had my on 100% for the first 5 min after I put the card in, but after I turned it back to auto since then i could not control it any more.