PDA

View Full Version : Can you get AC3, DTS-HD out of HTPC?

Celeron Gamer
11-17-2009, 07:04 PM
I want to have a HDMI out on my HTPC so it can output 7.1 or 5.1

I am planning to do this via pass through on my NVidia video card(via SPDIF).

I plan to use HDMI to TV, and then use the TV's TOSLink to connect to my receiver.

The problem is, i heard people say that you need a onboard hardware decoder on the sound card to support those. Is that true?

I'm also hearing all these terms like bitstream and stuff.

EniGmA1987
11-17-2009, 08:52 PM
I dont know of any Nvidia cards that support DTS-HD or any of the newer high definition audio codecs like that. Only the 58## series ATI cards do, not the 4k series.

Also, your TV will not send any HD audio back to your receiver and there is a 99% chance you wont even be able to get surround sound that way, just 2 channel audio.

BenchZowner
11-18-2009, 01:35 AM
No no no no no.
If you want to pass undecoded Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD MA to your amplifier you will have to get a Radeon 5xxx series and use the HDMI connection from the VGA to the receiver and then another HDMI from the receiver to the TV/Projector.

alpha0ne
11-19-2009, 12:04 AM
No no no no no.
If you want to pass unencoded Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD MA to your amplifier you will have to get a Radeon 5xxx series and use the HDMI connection from the VGA to the receiver and then another HDMI from the receiver to the TV/Projector.

No no no no no :p:

In the near future you 'might' get unmolested HD sound using a Radeon 5*** series and the latest Power DVD ultra once they release a patch to work with the 5*** series card

ATM the ONLY way to get unmolested HD audio from a PC is to use either an Anus Xonar HDAV1.3 or Xonar Slim with TMT3...................
Or use the Auzen HD Theatre card with PDVD9 though this is still very buggy

Celeron Gamer
11-19-2009, 12:51 AM
wow, it's not as easy as i thought, not to mention expensive:eek:

gillll
11-19-2009, 01:17 AM
why doing all of this ?

your tv can't play more then stereo so plug the pc straight to the amplifier with fibre and u'll have all u want.

BenchZowner
11-19-2009, 01:43 AM
No no no no no :p:

In the near future you 'might' get unmolested HD sound using a Radeon 5*** series and the latest Power DVD ultra once they release a patch to work with the 5*** series card

The patch is working, and shall be released in a month or so, so yes, you can have Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD MA bitstream with a Radeon 5xxx series card.

Celeron Gamer
11-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Also, your TV will not send any HD audio back to your receiver and there is a 99% chance you wont even be able to get surround sound that way, just 2 channel audio.

Really? I found that I was able get surround sound through TOSLink pass through from the TV, I connected my Xbox HD-DVD, and PS3 via HDMI to pass through tv, and I got surround sound.

EniGmA1987
11-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Are you sure it was real 5.1 and not stereo being upscaled to 5.1 via ProLogic II, DTS, or something? Most TVs do not support sending surround sound out of it, which is really retarded but thats the way it is. But there are some that do so maybe you have one of those.

alpha0ne
11-20-2009, 12:19 AM
The patch is working, and shall be released in a month or so, so yes, you can have Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD MA bitstream with a Radeon 5xxx series card.

You can't have it both ways :rofl:

So as of RIGHT 'KIN NOW using a Radeon 5*** series card will only give you max ~ 1.5MB/s throughput that is not even close to TrueHD/DTS-HD Master

You also need to buy Cyberlink PDVD Ultra (WITH THE PATCH............WHENEVER THAT IS RELEASED) to play HD audio that is not down sampled to 16bit/48KHz thru the 5*** series cards

So again.............as of RIGHT NOW...............the cheapest (and ONLY option apart from the much more expensive Auzen HD card + PDVD Ultra) option to get full HD sound is to buy the Anus Xonar Slim that is bundled with TMT3 Ultra that just happens to be superior to PDVD in just soooo many ways ;)

big poppa pump
11-20-2009, 07:33 AM
Anus Xonar Slim

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

libertysyclone
11-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Yup your only other options are the GT 210/220/240 that do lossless VIA LPCM like the FAT PS3's

Celeron Gamer
11-21-2009, 12:08 AM
Are you sure it was real 5.1 and not stereo being upscaled to 5.1 via ProLogic II, DTS, or something? Most TVs do not support sending surround sound out of it, which is really retarded but thats the way it is. But there are some that do so maybe you have one of those.

well, i can't say for sure, but I know I relied on it when I beat one of the MGS3 bosses.

alpha0ne
11-21-2009, 12:27 AM
Yup your only other options are the GT 210/220/240 that do lossless VIA LPCM like the FAT PS3's

Another option for HTPC duties is the GF9400 IGP boards for 7.1 LPCM sound over HDMI but some ppl (including me, I have a DFI Jr GF9400 T2RS) have massive handshake issues trying to get the GF9400 board -> Receiver -> Big Motha 'kin plasma TV to play nice together

I could not get ANY 5.1 only 2 channel over HDMI :mad:

crackhead2k
11-24-2009, 12:45 AM
RIP ->DEMUX-> MULTI CH FLAC/h264@100% ->Remux..... Should get the full quality stuff out over analog @ 196 over analog...

I store all my stuff on a dedicated server.....so i can watch later XD <without browsing though the collection of dvds and blurays ugh...

grimREEFER
11-24-2009, 05:37 PM
you can get ac3 and dts, but not dts hd or dolby true hd....
unless the nvidia card you have is integrated or you own one of the 40nm cards and you plan on outputing lcpm
im not sure, but i think you need hdmi v1.3 cables for this as well.

Donnie27
11-24-2009, 06:59 PM
you can get ac3 and dts, but not dts hd or dolby true hd....
unless the nvidia card you have is integrated or you own one of the 40nm cards and you plan on outputing lcpm
im not sure, but i think you need hdmi v1.3 cables for this as well.

You do! For sure.

Now when I want the benefits of Dolby True HD or Master Audio, DTS HD or whatever else, I just pop a Blue Ray Disc into my LG BD Player connected to my trusty Pioneer 819 via an HDMI 1.3a/b cable and be done with it. Not worth all the hassles.

I use another of the cables even from my HTPC's cheap ATI 3650 straight to the TV bypassing the Receiver and use only its Audio in to the Receiver. I recently moved my X-Fi Prelude to the HTPC because I'm in my Den more now. The 3650 and Toshiba 46" 1080P 120hz HD TV love each other. Might get a 32 to 37 inch for my computer upstairs!