PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive failure: Posible fix any1 tried this?

cowpuppy
11-17-2009, 03:18 PM
It seams my seagate 750 has bittin the dust. It did his after a bios adjustment and the board kept looping trying to start. Usually a clear cmos takes care of it, but this time my hard drive no longer worked. I did all the usual changed cables, ports, power. none helped. the hard drive still spins and it never ran hot or was loud.
What I'm thinking of trying, is ordering another drive, the exact same one and change the pcb board on the drive and see if it comes back to life. Has any1 tried this and saved a drive?

Equinediver
11-17-2009, 04:05 PM
You need exactly the same PCB board, that was manufactured at the same time. Even one's made the same day do not always work. If you do not find a perfect match, there is a chance you could lose all your data.

cowpuppy
11-18-2009, 05:32 AM
What choices do I have then? If I send my drive in for repair will I get the same one back? (pirates have been in there too)This will take to long any how. I might as well order a 1.5 Tb drive so the next time I loose twice the data. With the falling prices of hard drives they are just throw a way Items now, not worth the effort of repair/shipping unless for the data recovery.
I'm running Ubuntu of a 8Gb thumb drive right now and it's not the most pleasant experience but at least I can surf the net.

zalbard
11-18-2009, 05:48 AM
Just put it into the freezer, should bring it back to life for a week or so, enough time to save your data.

cowpuppy
11-18-2009, 06:02 AM
Really R U serious? In the freezer? The mother board doesn't recognize the hard drive. It spins, I can hear some faint clicking inside(not a lot), the drive never ran hot or was ever loud at any point.

zalbard
11-18-2009, 06:03 AM
Yeah, I am serious.
http://www.datarecoverypros.com/hard-drive-recovery-freeze.html

cowpuppy
11-18-2009, 06:33 AM
thanx for the link. Like I said my drive spins and it looks like they suggest to try and swap the logic board.. I will order another seagate 750 and swap boards and hope all goes well. either way I'll have a drive that works. and another lesson on backing up whats important to me. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

overclocking101
11-18-2009, 08:31 AM
yep I did the freeaer trick on my seagate only worked for about 10hrs though but i backed up and cloned the drive in that time

karbonkid
11-19-2009, 05:36 AM
Yup, freezer tip works well.

If the clicking still doesn't cease, gently smacking the thin, long edge of the drive against a hard surface while powered up can give you a few minutes access to your data too...