PDA

View Full Version : Catalyst 9.11 out

w0mbat
11-17-2009, 12:01 PM
http://twitter.com/futureisfusion/status/5804417046

release notes: http://www2.ati.com/relnotes/Catalyst_911_release_notes.pdf

GPU Acceleration of H.264 video content using Adobe Flash
Player 10.1 Beta
This release of ATI Catalyst™ supports the new Hardware Acceleration features of
Adobe Flash Player 10.1 Beta for video encoded in the H.264 format. Adobe Flash Player
10.1 Beta introduces hardware-based H.264 video decoding to deliver smooth video
playback, reduce system resource utilization, and preserve battery life. Adobe Flash
Player 10.1 Beta is expected to be available for download from Adobe Labs
(labs.adobe.com) before the end of the year. This feature is supported on the ATI Radeon
HD 5800, ATI Radeon HD 5700 and ATI Radeon HD 4000 Series of products.

sounds nice =D

KingOfsorroW
11-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks. Downloading now.........

w0mbat
11-17-2009, 12:40 PM
And it seems like a automatic LOD correction for SSAA was implemented.

xman01
11-17-2009, 01:03 PM
hmm. not bad

hurleybird
11-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Cinematic mod 10 + 8x SSAA is sweet.

ReverendMaynard
11-17-2009, 01:31 PM
thanks for the heads up, hopefully I can actually install these unlike the 10's or the beta 11's.

hurleybird
11-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Heh, assuming that I can actually enable it, I think I'd take 4x or 8x SSAA over DX10 any day of the week. Once you get used to not seeing shader aliasing it becomes very obvious when it does occur. Now if only AMD could unlock SSAA with directx versions higher than 9 I'd have the best of both worlds.

Piotrsama
11-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Some people have reported dramatic increases in 3Dmark 06.
Not that it really matters, but I'm curious to see if somebody here tested it also.

Edit: And NFS Shift also with big improvement.

Blkout
11-17-2009, 05:21 PM
And it seems like a automatic LOD correction for SSAA was implemented.

It does appear that the blurring is gone. I tried SSAA in a few games and the texture detail seems to be very good.

zalbard
11-17-2009, 05:36 PM
Looks like a decent release. Any CF scaling improvements?

Omarko
11-17-2009, 08:40 PM
can anyone advise if this driver now enables 5870 Crossfire + Eyefinity?

Roadhog
11-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Nm, fixed.

SoulsCollective
11-18-2009, 01:31 AM
If you're playing Borderlands, give this a miss. The missing textures bug that plagued the 9.11 Beta is still present, and at least for me the game feels choppier as well.

Migi06
11-18-2009, 01:34 AM
If you're playing Borderlands, give this a miss. The missing textures bug that plagued the 9.11 Beta is still present, and at least for me the game feels choppier as well.

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034923192&postcount=13

SoulsCollective
11-18-2009, 01:42 AM
Yes, but I hate doing that because damn ATi still haven't implemented a per-game profile editor a la nVidia, so disabling Cat AI therefore borks Crossfire in everything meaning you have to keep switching back and forth.

psyside
11-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Hi. sorry for slight offtopic but knowing the nature of the news i don't think you will mind!!

the new 9.12 beta driver is insane in Crysis!!!!!!!!!

11.18.2009 16:06:40 - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

DirectX 10 ENTHUSIAST 3X @ Map: ambush @ 0 1920 x 1200 AA 0xx
==> Framerate [ Min: 35.60 Max: 73.98 Avg: 59.46 ]

9.12 beta

DirectX 10 ENTHUSIAST 2X @ Map: ambush @ 0 1920 x 1200 AA 0xx
==> Framerate [ Min: 26.96 Max: 57.88 Avg: 46.69 ]

9.11 beta

*ucking awesomeeeeeeeeeee great job Ati!!! This is like 30% performance improvement! So ignore this 9.11 beta driver and dld this one 9.12 beta.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=309166

Viss
11-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Tried cat 9.11 on both win7 32b and 64b and with 2x 5870 @1000/1200 i get about 800 points less in Vantage compared with 9.10 :down:

Piotrsama
11-18-2009, 02:28 PM
We need some site to do a review of the different versions, some people report great increases, while others no change at all.
FUD, or real?

Tried cat 9.11 on both win7 32b and 64b and with 2x 5870 @1000/1200 i get about 800 points less in Vantage compared with 9.10 :down:
Have you tried 9.12 beta?

Viss
11-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Not yet. Could be a CF bug in Vantage with this 9.11 driver (wouldnt be 1st time :D). Wil test single card tomorrow

Expat GriZ
11-18-2009, 02:40 PM

Thanks for that Bart!!:up: Will stick with 9.1.

Dami3n
11-18-2009, 04:32 PM
Crossfire still running like crap in many games :down:

BenchZowner
11-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Come on AMD, get those bloody 9.12 drivers right please, can't delay the review any longer...

Pyr0
11-18-2009, 04:37 PM
8.663.1_Beta5_Hemlock_VistaWin7_Nov11.exe
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/pages/GPU37-driver-for-ati-radeon-hd-5970.aspx

[XC] Synthetickiller
11-19-2009, 09:46 AM
Won't even install properly on xp sp3.

Anyone having the issue where it'll say "installed with errors" then never prompts to restart? I can't get the drive to install now at all.

Its a 3650 radeon (for a work PC).

Any ideas?

Mayke
11-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Im also going to stick to 9.10, halfway through the instalation I get a complete shutdown. I have tried it 5 times, same thing over and over.

Glow9
11-19-2009, 10:37 AM
So I have to ask but how has AMD not scrapped their driver team? I read these threads all the time and it's pretty much always the same thing. Killer hardware that they can't get to work.

SoulsCollective
11-19-2009, 11:24 AM
The installation process for 9.11 Beta, 9.11 full release and 9.12 Beta is FUBAR. There seems to be some kind of issue with the version of Visual C++ 2005 that CCC installs (CCC relies on C++ to run), meaning that on a fairly high percentage of machines, installing any of the above packages often either fails outright, causes crashes/BSODs, or fails to install CCC while successfully installing the rest of the driver package (ie. the display driver, AVIVO, HDMI audio drivers etc), with this last being most common. Aside from the obvious, this results in an error popup whenever Windows is started complaining about "MOM implementation".

I managed to work around it by running the 9.12 installer and selecting only the drivers, not CCC or Visual C++, and thus not installing CCC, and then using a 9.10 installer to install CCC.

PaganII
11-19-2009, 11:39 AM
9.11 working great here. Ran 3D'06, Stalker CoP Benchmark (Aug'09 Dx9 required).

jfer
11-19-2009, 11:41 AM
9.11 has problems with Call Of Duty - United Offensive.:down:

9.10 FTW:up:

Utnorris
11-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Im also going to stick to 9.10, halfway through the instalation I get a complete shutdown. I have tried it 5 times, same thing over and over.

And I thought it was just me. I kept having the same issue, it would lock up mid install. I thought something was wrong with my system. Did a restore and tried it again and same thing. Did an uninstall and then a reinstall and that seemed to work, but talk about being in a panic mode. I just went back to water cooling from phase and thought I had screwed something up. Glad to know it is probably the driver.

Blkout
11-19-2009, 12:50 PM
And I thought it was just me. I kept having the same issue, it would lock up mid install. I thought something was wrong with my system. Did a restore and tried it again and same thing. Did an uninstall and then a reinstall and that seemed to work, but talk about being in a panic mode. I just went back to water cooling from phase and thought I had screwed something up. Glad to know it is probably the driver.

Can't be the driver when everyone else got it to install fine. I installed the 9.11's a few nights ago without any issues on the first try.

Blkout
11-19-2009, 12:52 PM
The installation process for 9.11 Beta, 9.11 full release and 9.12 Beta is FUBAR. There seems to be some kind of issue with the version of Visual C++ 2005 that CCC installs (CCC relies on C++ to run), meaning that on a fairly high percentage of machines, installing any of the above packages often either fails outright, causes crashes/BSODs, or fails to install CCC while successfully installing the rest of the driver package (ie. the display driver, AVIVO, HDMI audio drivers etc), with this last being most common. Aside from the obvious, this results in an error popup whenever Windows is started complaining about "MOM implementation".

I managed to work around it by running the 9.12 installer and selecting only the drivers, not CCC or Visual C++, and thus not installing CCC, and then using a 9.10 installer to install CCC.

http://drivercleaner.net/download.php

Works like a champ if you really need to clean up old drivers and seem to be having problems with the standard uninstaller. Otherwise I would just use the standard install/uninstall utility in Windows.

SoulsCollective
11-19-2009, 04:41 PM
http://drivercleaner.net/download.php

Works like a champ if you really need to clean up old drivers and seem to be having problems with the standard uninstaller. Otherwise I would just use the standard install/uninstall utility in Windows.I've already got that installed, and I fail to see the relevance to the problem :confused:

The 9.11 and later Catalyst releases simply have issues with installing CCC on certain systems. Check the AMD forums, there are quite a few people complaining about it. It's got nothing to do with an improperly installed/uninstalled old package - for the record, this was the second thing I tried after using the Cat Install Manager to express uninstall all trace of existing drivers, and made no difference.

Can't be the driver when everyone else got it to install fine. I installed the 9.11's a few nights ago without any issues on the first try.
It's not just you Utnorris, plenty of folks are having issues with this release.

Blkout
11-19-2009, 04:44 PM
I've already got that installed, and I fail to see the relevance to the problem :confused:

The 9.11 and later Catalyst releases simply have issues with installing CCC on certain systems. Check the AMD forums, there are quite a few people complaining about it. It's got nothing to do with an improperly installed/uninstalled old package.

The relevenace is that CCC is part of the driver package, but I figured you knew that. Every forum has people complaining about something, it doesn't make it a widespread problem. Almost all cases are usually on a case by case basis.

Blkout
11-19-2009, 04:46 PM
It's not just you Utnorris, plenty of folks are having issues with this release.

A half dozen or dozen of people out of thousands of sucessful installs doesn't tell me it's a faulty driver issue. It tells me its a case by case issue.

KingOfsorroW
11-19-2009, 05:41 PM
I installed the 9.10 drivers, then I uninstalled them. (I also used the driversweeper program to delete the files and registry entries being left after the uninstall) And installed the 9.11 version afterwards. Both intallation processes went ideally without any problem.

SoulsCollective
11-19-2009, 05:53 PM
A half dozen or dozen of people out of thousands of sucessful installs doesn't tell me it's a faulty driver issue. It tells me its a case by case issue.9.10 worked fine. 9.11 Beta, 9.11, and 9.12 Beta do not work fine. My system has not changed, therefore the issue is with the driver package, no?

:rolleyes:

Whether the problem is widespread or not is a separate issue, but in this particular case I'd say it is - there are a number of threads on this issue and posters complaining around the interwebs, here and elsewhere, and folks are having problems ranging from the installer locking up their machine (uncommon, severe) to simply failing to install CCC (common, moderate severity). That's a driver release bug. Obviously it does not affect all systems, as in that case it would never have made it through AMD QC, but that doesn't mean the problem exists.

I have no intention of arguing this point with you, as it's going to turn into quibbling over degrees and semantics - I'm simply posting in the thread dedicated to the 9.11 release to warn prospective installees of the issues the driver package may cause them (BSODs, CTDs, lockups, or CCC failing to install and giving error messages on every boot), and a solution that may fix the problem (installing the driver only from this release, and the CCC app from an earlier release).

Utnorris
11-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Yeah, I wasn't saying it was widespread, but a few have had the issue. I don't know if it's a driver issue, I doubt, but more of a software conflict. Until we are able to compare systems of the ones that did have the problem we are just guessing at it. It could be a simple thing like turning off anti-virus while installing or not installing part of the package. Could be an issue with the hardware, don't know, but it's something and we should try and figure out what it is.

SoulsCollective
11-19-2009, 06:09 PM
...a software conflict. Until we are able to compare systems of the ones that did have the problem we are just guessing at it. It could be a simple thing like turning off anti-virus while installing or not installing part of the package. Could be an issue with the hardware, don't know, but it's something and we should try and figure out what it is.I very much doubt anti-virus would affect things.

For those folks having the CCC failing to install properly, checking error logs seems to point to issues with Visual C++. On the AMD forums, some users report being able to install the 9.11 package once they removed all Visual C++ installations (2005 and 2008), rebooted, and allowed the driver package to install its own bundled version (which differs from the latest available builds from MS). This wasn't an option for me, as I need it for other things - but perhaps it could be as simple as ATi writing CCC in this older version (although they'd have to have done something wrong for a simple version update to break their program)? Or the driver installer not handling detection of a later, more updated version of VC++ properly and crashing out?

Given that I doubt most users have VC++ installed for anything beyond installation of new Catalyst packages and don't bother to update it from MS, could the problems could simply be down to this?