PDA

View Full Version : I need help picking out a TV for the bedroom.

little_scrapper
11-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Im looking to get a 26" or 32" flat panel for the bedroom wall and I having a hard time sorting through all the info. My needs are basic but I dont want to limit my options. Meaning, that I really have no clue what most ANY of the connectors acronyms are for and what they do.

I need a flat panel (leaning toward LCD) for the wall mount that has a built in HDtuner.
May want to hook up external speakers if the sound is crappy.
Has to be a good reputable name brand.
26" or max of 32" : $500 or less
Do not want to limit my future needs should I change me situation and turn it into a home theatre. ie basicall want as many "useful" connections as i can get.:up:

I have never owned a flat panel aside from my monitor so I basicall need you guys to tell me what I need in a TV because im noob. :yepp:

Any suggestions and 2nd's would be very appreciated. Will probably be ordering this week for sure. I tends to always click the "free shipping" option for sorting in newegg so keep that in mind also.

also could use a recomendation on a wall mount. No need to swivel and want one that sits the TV as flat to the wall as possible. I dont want something protruding from the wall. If I could cut a hole in the wall and set the TV inside I would. :)

EniGmA1987
11-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Plasma TVs aren't really made in 32" sizes so your stuck with an LCD.
All TVs now days have a built in tuner, it was just when HDTVs first came out that cheap ones didn't have them.
Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Vizio (yes even vizio now days), LG, etc. Really aren't many non name brands around... I would recommend a Vizio from Walmart. It is cheap and looks great.
at that size you really wont see a difference between 720p and 1080p, so the other factors will improve the image more than resolution. Contrast Ratio (static, not dynamic), brightness, color bit depth are what you should look at.
Modern TVs will have all the useful connections you need so you really shouldn't worry about it much. Also, a 32" TV is not a home theater size TV no matter what you try. And you would use a receiver for your inputs in a home theater anyway so inputs dont matter at all past a single HDMI, and maybe a single component input.

Gurr
11-16-2009, 06:56 PM
If you are in the US:

Well if you look on theblackfriday.com You can find a nice 32" westinghouse for 246$

And the place that sells it will allow you to get your money back if anything goes on sale within 2 weeks of you purchasing the product. So if you bought now, and then went in a day or 2 after black friday you could get the difference back.

PaganII
11-16-2009, 10:47 PM
I had a 32" Westinghouse LCD. Gave it away. All the Blues were the same color, all the reds the same color, all the yellows same color and so on (75% color gamut). Pip on it was 4:3 so an HD channel looked squished. Input lag was horrendous. All TV speakers suck so get a Stereo at least for sound.
Even the cheapest 32" come with more connections than you would ever need in a bedroom. PC (vga), 2 component, HDMI, composite/Svideo.
I wouldn't get smaller than 32".
Panasonic's first 32"LCD (last year) was great. Any Samsung.
Contrast numbers are marketing gimmick.
Doesn't matter what the TV picture looks like in the store, it won't look like that at home. Brightness usually turned up to overcome all the store lights and the 1 next to it turned down to make it look even better.
I'm using a PVA panel computer monitor now because the color is so good.
Best of luck

Digital Versus UK
Tom's Guide US

In-Fluence
11-17-2009, 12:04 AM
Don't know how much they go for in the US, but my partner's mum just bought us a 32" samsung B7020 LED tv. If you can, go for one of these with a big waranty, you won't be disappointed (unless it arrives in pieces)!

little_scrapper
11-17-2009, 08:04 PM
If you are in the US:

Well if you look on theblackfriday.com You can find a nice 32" westinghouse for 246$

And the place that sells it will allow you to get your money back if anything goes on sale within 2 weeks of you purchasing the product. So if you bought now, and then went in a day or 2 after black friday you could get the difference back.

Im not finding that anywhere. You got a link to a 32" LCD for $250?

Otherwise Im looking at this one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889102248

Any better ideas?

little_scrapper
11-17-2009, 08:06 PM
Don't know how much they go for in the US, but my partner's mum just bought us a 32" samsung B7020 LED tv. If you can, go for one of these with a big waranty, you won't be disappointed (unless it arrives in pieces)!

Those are at least $1000 US, probably more. Im looking at the $400 pricerange, give or take.

EniGmA1987
11-17-2009, 09:06 PM
This one is better:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889252065

Or if you can afford it, this is the 1080p version for only $70 more:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889252067

Why is this Sony better than the Samsung? Read on...

The Sony is a bigger screen, 32" is tiny already, 26" is crazy small for a modern TV.
The Sony has 5.1 sound output, the Samsung probably does not
The SOny has more input connectors which you will need since you wont be using a receiver, and if you ever do a home theater then your budget will probably be similar and so you will end up with a sucky receiver that is probably going to run out of inputs, thus the Sony helps out there.
The Sony supports 24 frames per second movies, the Samsung does not.
The Sony has better speakers if you plan on using the TV speakers
The Sony specifically says it uses an 8-bit panel, the Samsung may or may not. Many lower end TVs using a 6-bit panel with some interpolation to get a qasi 8-bit color image.

The only thing the Samsung has better is the dynamic contrast, which probably means the static contrast is better too. The contrast ratio will help a lot with image quality, but I think the extra things the Sony has outweighs the one thing the Samsung has thats better.

Jamesrt2004
11-18-2009, 02:31 AM

its not led :mad:

(hate marketing)

to the OP I would get the sony mentioned above, my dad has that set and it's actually pretty damn nice

brightwindow
11-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Just found this 32" Toshiba LCD HDTV (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889253200) has price drop on newegg. This brand has very high cost performance. Check the reviews: http://www.cybertheater.com/toshiba-32av502r-review-sounds-better-than-it-looks/

Donnie27
11-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Love my Toshiba but wouldn't touch anything that's not 1080P. In fact, I'd settle for 1080i over 720p.

I'd look to spend 600 though. $500 wouldn't cut it for the 1080P, 120Hz, 10bit LCD with some kind of 2 speaker surround sound!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889252067

The one I came real close to getting to use for a PC monitor upstairs!

PaganII
11-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Agree with Donnie about the 1080 thing. Almost all 720p sets are really 1366 x 768p.

EniGmA1987
11-19-2009, 03:57 PM
So? You cant tell the difference between 720 and 1080 on a 32" screen from normal sitting distance. I would just get this like I said before:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889252065

And save your money for a better TV in a few years, when 40" 1080p TVs with 240Hz are commonplace at the $450 pricepoint. Why buy a sucky 1080p TV now that is already outdated when you buy it? If your going to buy low end, get something really cheap. not an expensive low end model.

And if you go with what Donnie said and look in the $600 range, then your stupid cause you can get a 42" really nice looking plasma screen for the same price, and the plasma TV would rape an LCD from that price range:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889102294