PDA

View Full Version : MSI R4870X2 GPU2 hotter than GPU1

JasemateUK73
11-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Hi lads,

I have a problem with my MSI R4870X2 where the GPU2 is getting much hotter than the GPU1. I am using the MSI Afterburner software and on idle the temps read: GPU1=51 GPU2=71 with the fan speed at the default speed. When running Modern Warfare 2 (full load), the temps then read GPU1=46 (peak) and GPU2=108 (peak). I can tell in the game when the temp on the GPU2 reach this because the game starts to stutter and artifact (sometimes long triangles - sorry, I don't know the technical word for this). The fan is running at full speed (100%) when I game and I've even disabled the A.I. in CCC which, to my understanding, disables GPU2 (please tell me if I'm wrong) so I can't understand why GPU2 is getting so hot when GPU1 is not. The voltage is set at the default 1.262 (not sure if this needs lowering or not). At idle, both core clock speeds (for GPU1 & GPU2) are at 507 MHz with both the memory clock speeds at 500 MHz, which I'm told is 2D. Now when I game I notice that the GPU2 core speed switches to 780 MHz with the memory clock speed switching to 900 MHz which am I correct in saying is 3D mode?

So what I need to know is:

Why is GPU2 hotter than GPU1?

Is the reason why GPU2 is getting hotter is that it's working twice as hard because GPU1 isn't working correctly (for example GPU1 core/memory stays at 507/500 MHz even when I game). Should this also switch to 780/900 too?

How can I share the load between each GPU?

Any help and advice will be greatly apreciated?

Thanks.

Jase.

Musho
11-15-2009, 03:06 PM
I think the cooler isn't making good contact with the GPU2 die. You could reapply the cooler with some new high quality TIM, but it would void your warranty. Personally, I would just RMA the card. It's clear it's a manufacturing fault.

Blkout
11-15-2009, 06:17 PM
That is perfectly normal for a 4870x2 with the stock cooler. One GPU is much closer to the fan than the other so it runs cooler. If you ever change to water cooling, they will both show the same temps.

Kurz
11-15-2009, 06:19 PM
That is perfectly normal for a 4870x2 with the stock cooler. One GPU is much closer to the fan than the other so it runs cooler. If you ever change to water cooling, they will both show the same temps.

The issue is he is experiencing Artifacts.

Go ahead and RMA the card, unless you want to redo the TIM yourself.

InCredible
11-15-2009, 06:20 PM
hhow are u checking to see if the gpu1 isnt going into 3d mode?...also what driver are u using.?
and yes 2nd gpu will get quite a bit hotter then gpu1 because the gpu1 gets cooled first and gpu2 gets cooled by gpu1's hot air..however the difference you're describing is very large so yea something is definitely not right..(make sure you're on the latest driver if not already)

Blkout
11-15-2009, 06:22 PM
The issue is he is experiencing Artifacts.

Go ahead and RMA the card, unless you want to redo the TIM yourself.

What's he's saying make no sense anyway, he saying one GPU idles at 51 and yet runs 46 at full load.

There's something wrong with his testing and/or setup, not the video card.

InCredible
11-15-2009, 06:28 PM
What's he's saying make no sense anyway, he saying one GPU idles at 51 and yet runs 46 at full load.

There's something wrong with his testing and/or setup, not the video card.

so one gpu at 108c isnt a problem.....idk what ur thinking but that is too hot..and his 1 gpu isnt running 3d clocks..thats why its peakin at 46c..

i think u should rethink urself cause you dont know what ur talkin about..a temp of 50+ C between gpus on air is really wrong...yes i have an x2 and never were the temps that far apart ever...usually 20 max but even thats pushing it.

Chickenfeed
11-15-2009, 08:50 PM
With the stock auto fan profile ( so not even close to 100% fan speed ) you should be seeing load temps of about 90-95C tops so 100+ is not normal. As far as the core closest to the fan, it is usually 25-30C cooler than the other core under normal operating conditions ( titles with good multi gpu scaling ) I had found common operating temperatures at 1920x1200 4x aa 16x af to be around 80-90s on the hotter core and 60-high 70s on the cooler core.

Your options are to attempt to reseat the heatsink yourself or send it in for warranty.

Blkout
11-16-2009, 08:39 AM
so one gpu at 108c isnt a problem.....idk what ur thinking but that is too hot..and his 1 gpu isnt running 3d clocks..thats why its peakin at 46c..

i think u should rethink urself cause you dont know what ur talkin about..a temp of 50+ C between gpus on air is really wrong...yes i have an x2 and never were the temps that far apart ever...usually 20 max but even thats pushing it.

Seeing that I owned a 4870x2 for 6 months, I think I'm qualified enough to speak about it. I clearly said his numbers don't make any sense which is why I questioned his testing and or setup. I also stated that it was normal for temps to differ between the two cores because one is closer to the fan the other, certainly not 60c though which is why I don't believe the numbers. You haven't said anything I didn't already say other than you seem to believe his 47c/108c load temps which I don't. Something is obviously wrong but I just don't believe a stock card is faulty unless someone has attemped to mod it or somehow damaged the card.

Kurz
11-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Ummm... I had a Video card (ATI Brand x800xl) with a bad mount.
It would Artifact all the time they basically said it was their fault and they redid the Heatsink+TIM.
Since then it was great until I upgraded again.

But if he did something wrong its best the RMA department figures it out before casting blame.
Since you cant really see the card can yah?

InCredible
11-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Seeing that I owned a 4870x2 for 6 months, I think I'm qualified enough to speak about it. I clearly said his numbers don't make any sense which is why I questioned his testing and or setup. I also stated that it was normal for temps to differ between the two cores because one is closer to the fan the other, certainly not 60c though which is why I don't believe the numbers. You haven't said anything I didn't already say other than you seem to believe his 47c/108c load temps which I don't. Something is obviously wrong but I just don't believe a stock card is faulty unless someone has attemped to mod it or somehow damaged the card up.

your first post said "this is perfectly normal for a 4870x2" go reread just incase you forgot..ur 2nd post said "the temps dont make sense" which you're right they dont and you also finished with "his testing or monitoring is wrong NOT the video card"

not nearly the same as i said but..regardless it could very well be the card..bad mount or faulty sensors...it could also be old driver(since i recall when i first got my x2(which ive had for 1yr now)wouldnt use the 2nd core in some of the early drivers))

...so like said id try driver update etc and if that doesnt work rma..safest bet if he doesnt want to void warranty etc.

Blkout
11-16-2009, 05:38 PM
your first post said "this is perfectly normal for a 4870x2" go reread just incase you forgot..ur 2nd post said "the temps dont make sense" which you're right they dont and you also finished with "his testing or monitoring is wrong NOT the video card"

not nearly the same as i said but..regardless it could very well be the card..bad mount or faulty sensors...it could also be old driver(since i recall when i first got my x2(which ive had for 1yr now)wouldnt use the 2nd core in some of the early drivers))

...so like said id try driver update etc and if that doesnt work rma..safest bet if he doesnt want to void warranty etc.

I said in my first post it was perfectly normal for one core to run hotter than the second and explained why. Then I shortly after decided to comment on his bizarre temps. I should have just edited the first post to minimize confusion. My bad.

InCredible
11-16-2009, 06:18 PM
its all good , we're all here to help eachother out :)

dinos22
11-16-2009, 07:10 PM
hi OP. it looks like one of the cores is not making good contact. The other thing which is a bit odd is your temp readouts to us. You are saying that your load temp on one core is lower than idle which is not possible so how are you measuring temps?

lol whats with the biatch fighting ppl.....common cut it out!!!

JasemateUK73
11-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Hi lads,

Firstly, I must apologise for any confusion in my OP. The reason why GPU1 was showing a lower reading under full load was because it stayed in 2D mode (507/500) and was cooled further by the increasing fan speed due to the rapidly rising temp of GPU2.

Secondly, I just thought I'd update you with some good news (on my part anyway). I have managed to fix my overheating problem! After reading many posts saying how bad the stock coolers are for the 4870X2, I decided to install a Artic Cooling Accelero Xtreme cooler. I would recommend anyone who has one of these cards do the same. I only wish I changed mine earlier. The best £38 I've ever spent! The performance of this thing is absolutely amazing!

Very impressed with how it's dropped my idle temps down to a very impressive 28/34 (GPU1/GPU2) but where it has really excelled is on the full load temps. I ran Modern Warefare 2 @ 1920x1200 with everthying maxed out. I also had 16x AA and AF plus everything else maxed out in CCC. Now remember, my GPU1 was staying in 2D mode (507/500) with my stock cooler. The GPU2, at these settings, was touching 108 degrees. Now with the AC Accelero Xtreme installed, I'm getting a jaw-dropping 43-45 in 3D mode (780/900) on GPU1 and 48-50 max for GPU2!! That's well over the -50 degree level they promise. Another massive bonus with this cooler is just how quiet it is. I can't believe I put up with that noisy stock cooler for so long......gaming now, is bliss!

As for fps, I'm getting a good 55-60 (60Mhz being the max for my screen @ 1920x1200) for most maps with it dropping down to 35-45fps on the couple of maps with high vegetation.

What I would like to do now, seeing that I got a bit of headroom, is too overclock the core/memory from their default values of 780/900 to see if I can improve the fps in MW2 (as well as a few other games, Crysis being one of them).

The default voltage for each GPU is set to 1.262v. I am using a program from MSI called Afterburn which reads my temps as well as allowing me to overclock. What I was going to ask is, what is the procedure for overclocking this card? What size increments do I use and which one (core or memory) do I oc first? The same question would apply to the voltage (increments I mean). The MSI Afterburn software will allow me to up it to 1.350v? What is a safe temp to run this card?

My system specs:

ASUS Rampage Extreme X48
SupremeFX X-Fi 5.1 sound card
Intel QX9770 3.2GHz (clocked to 3.8GHz - 9.5 x 400MHz ) cooled by a Cooler Master V8
MSI R4870X2 780/900 (9.10 Catalyst drivers - released 22/10/2009)
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz DHX 9-9-9-24 w/ airflow fan
(being replaced with CMG4GX3M2A1600C6 - 4GB DOMINATOR GT (2x2GB), 1600MHz, 6-6-6-18, with Airflow fan - in the post)
300GB WD Velociraptor 10,000rpm 32MB cache
Zalman 1000w PSU
Zalman Z-Machine GT1000 case
ASUS MK241H HDMI 1920x1200 LCD monitor
64-bit Vista Ultimate (w/ Service pack 2)

System temp=29
CPU temp=42 idle, 52=load (what is the max load for a quad core chip?)

Would it be possible considering my cpu temp, that if I replaced the V8 cpu cooler with a higher performance one (i think I read that Zalman have just released one but I can't think of the name of it), I could possibly hit 4Ghz by raising the multiplyer or am I pushing the boat out a little too far?

Finally I would like to thanks all of you who've helped me so far.

Regards.

Jase.