PDA

View Full Version : Help me design a system for a friend

Tweaked!
08-13-2002, 12:13 PM
Ok guys, I've got a friend that just asked me to build him a new p4 system. It doesn't have to be the most expensive or best o/c'er, he'll never o/c it :( So anyways, I've already talked him into a Abit It7max from Newegg, and I'm going to recommend the AT821 case off of Xtreme tek werkz :) and more than likely starting him off with a p4 1.6. Now, I know he already has a 80 gig hdd and a floppy drive so I don't need to worry about those, but need advice on a decent but inexpensive vid card, ddr ram, etc...

So, let the ideas fly, This is my first build for someone other than myself, and I'm a little nervous about getting everything right the first time around. ;)

Hardass
08-13-2002, 12:25 PM
First if he is not going to oc go for the BD7ll save a couple bucks and its a good mobo. Vid go over to oc classifieds a guy is selling brand new Msi Ti200 for 66.00 shipped. Ram Samsung 2700. ;)

TheDude
08-13-2002, 12:37 PM
If he's a friend....why are you letting him buy a pentium? :D

Tweaked!
08-13-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by TheDude
If he's a friend....why are you letting him buy a pentium? :D

Well, first off, that's all he's interested in. He doesn't want to even consider AMD :rolleyes: I already told him he could get a lot more for the money, but he's a die hard Intellenese ;) We started out talking about upgrading his p/// 500 (I think???) and got as far as new mobo and p/// 1.2, but then I started showing him just much the cost difference was between that and a p4. So now he wants to go for the p4. But the guy is not far away from retirement and he hardly knows how to even log on to the web and check his email much less anything else... So he's not in need of a full blown k7d master w/ geforce 4 setup or anything like that. :) But on the bright side, after I get this up and running, He's going to give me what's left of his old p/// system which will be set up as another dedicated folder for the team. :banana: :banana:

Hardass, I don't know that much about the bd7ll board, is it decent enuf? I'm not all that up on the newest Intel boards since my sites have been towards a new AMD setup for my next rig. I was basing my judgement on the it7 cause of all the good word around the forums about it. I'll have to investigate that board a little further. Thanks for the heads up :)

Jupiler
08-13-2002, 03:01 PM
I got myself the IT7 today and so far, I'm very pleased with it. Performance is good and so is stability. It has everything you need (or don't need). Basically, the BD7 II is almost the same but it doesn't have the Firewire, 4x Raid controller and isn't legacy free, so your buddy can still use the keyboard and mouse ports. For the IT7, he'll need an USB keyboard and USB mouse (or adapters).
The BD7 II has 5 PCI slots where the IT7 only has 4. I only have a sound card so I don't care that much.
Both boards are very good, if he wants to save some money, let him buy the BD7 II, otherwise the IT7.

BTW : are you the same Tweaked! from Forumoc?

TheDude
08-13-2002, 03:13 PM
Tweaked,

Just jagging you about the pentium...couldn't help it.:D

Tweaked!
08-14-2002, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by TheDude
Tweaked,

Just jagging you about the pentium...couldn't help it.:D

I know that, it's all good! :)

Jupiler, Thanks for the input. I'm going to be talking him into the bd7ll, for his needs it'll be just fine. And yes, that's me over at O/C. :)