PDA

View Full Version : NF7-S problems

NucHaz
12-04-2003, 01:23 PM
Howdy, about 2 and 1/2 weeks ago I started having lots of problems, including simple keyboard errors (tab and ; key were oddly linked) and then random lockups and losing video signal when windows would load my video drivers, and also booting problems, mostly when it would fail to boot I would get a long beep followed by 2 short beeps, which tells me something is wrong with my video, the memory on it or my mobo. It did this with 2 different video cards. So I RMAd my mobo, and monday I finaly got my replacment (UPS takes a looooong time during holiday season) and at first it started just random lockups, till last night when it locked then gave me that same beep code (1 long, 2 short), I know for sure this is a different mobo becasue the serial number is different, and a couple other minor differances.

So, my question is, Is is possible out of just pure bad luck that I got another mobo with all the same problems?, or is there something else that is casusing the mobo to malfunction?
Could my PSU play a part in this?, last time with my old mobo, I swaped PSU's and it didnt really make much difference (I couldnt keep that PSU thou casue it belonged to a failmy member)

everything is running stock speeds right now and when the problems started second time around.
my system specs are as follows:
Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S Rev 2.0 (bio is 19)
2x 512mb PC3200 corsair XMS
vantec stealth 470w psu
powercooler 9800p

thats pretty much all the important stuff.

Im really not sure whats going on and would really appreciate any second opinions.

Thanks,
-NucHaz

NucHaz
12-06-2003, 04:12 PM
still having same problems, but with some new information.

Im running a post card right now and got the post code "08", which when I looked it up at the Pheniox site (http://www.phoenix.com/resources/bios-award-postcode.pdf) I got this:

Setup low memory

Early chip set initialization
Memory presence test
OEM chip set routines
Clear low 64K of memory
Test first 64K memory

what does all that mean ?

NucHaz
12-09-2003, 02:45 PM
ok, now im running my old GeForce 3 and was able to loop 3dmark03 for over an hour without crashing, still having keyboard errors thou, but is it possible my 9800 is problematic and could have damaged my motherboard ?

edit:
My keyboard problems were directly releated to my keyboard, running a different keyboard now and it seems fine

Oc2theSkY
12-10-2003, 05:57 AM
Well following what you have said it is either 1) A driver problem or 2) A bad video card. And the keyboard thing I see you finally treid a different one. Always start at the simple things and work your way through.

NucHaz
12-10-2003, 12:33 PM
ya, I belive its the videocard also, so im gonna go ahead and RMA it.

I didnt really think to try another keyboard becuase last time (before I RMA'ed my mobo) I tryed my keyboard on a different computer and it seemed to work fine, then when I got my new mobo back, it worked fine for like 2 days. glad I double checked that, nice to know its my keyboard instead of my mobo.

NucHaz
12-10-2003, 04:33 PM
While I was preping my 9800p for RMA I discovered some corrsion damage on the pins on the backside of the board ... after inspecting my water cooling setup, my O-ring on my bloody Maze 3 is leaking ... bah, problem solved, and understood.
Im giving up on watercooling, too much headache. back to air.