PDA

View Full Version : Contaminated Feser One Red UV coolant

{WFH}+SLAYER+
11-10-2009, 01:00 PM
I bought my coolant on Oct 26th 2009, was about to building my system on the Nov. 4th but When I was about to put in the coolant I discovered it had contamination inside, looked like flakes/fungus I just dont know. I Went and did RMA with Performance PCs, ( the RMA was great fast and pain less got my coolant 4 days later, so great props for PPC) The coolant was send from a Feser Rep because it got shipped from NY and not FL where PPC is located.

And today I get my new coolant, open it and horror..... it has the same contamination.

I went and quickly made a video for PPC and for you guys to see how it looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mBNNZtvlLA

Im guessing it must be a bad batch of coolant floating around US or something, I got another feser one red bottle with half of the coolant I had 2 years ago, and it looks clear as new.

Thoughts? what do you think the flakes are?

jim0ne
11-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Not to kick a dead horse... but you might want to check out this link.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226632
At least you didn't put it your system. I would suggest distilled water + PTnuke and/or killcoils.

NaeKuh
11-10-2009, 01:35 PM
its the Eth glycol.

{WFH}+SLAYER+
11-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Yea I seen the thread, but from personal use I never had problem with the Feser coolant, I had my system run with Feser One Red UV coolant for almost 2 years, and with the new build I was about to do Nov 4th I was really interested how the thing will look after all this time.
The coolant was almost as new , and my block/pump and radiator were clean, no gunk or anything others experienced.
I want to use a premixed solution, and Feser one works good it served me for last 2 years , but with the current situation I'm having I just don't know what to do. I could ask for another RMA, but afraid that I will receive another bottle full of this flake crap.

Im really thinking about asking them to send me Primochill Ice red coolant, would I be making a mistake? Do you guys know if it will serve me as good as the Feser does with color/quality/performance?

and again I know, I know distilled water, PT nuke is the way to go, but I just dont want to deal with buying more stuff, want to go with premixed solution and maybe after this accident I might consider next build with only distilled water.........but back on topic, what do you guys think of the situation I'm having, do you know whats the stuff that's floating around is?

{WFH}+SLAYER+
11-10-2009, 01:42 PM
its the Eth glycol.

So whats my actions should be?
so is the Eth glycol old or crystallized?

can I somehow dissolve it into the coolant by any means?

NaeKuh
11-10-2009, 01:55 PM
So whats my actions should be?
so is the Eth glycol old or crystallized?

can I somehow dissolve it into the coolant by any means?

the thing is i dont know how to disolve it back in solution.

Once it clumps and solidifys like that, its hard to mix again.

And its not 100% reproducable, but im seeing it happen in about 50% of the cases.

So im fairly sure its your Ethyl Glycol.

Ditch the red coolant, go red tubing.

Elloquin
11-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Although I wouldn't do it personally and would follow the advice of the posters before me there is one thing you can try. Get a funnel and a clean empty bottle and pour it into the bottle straining it through a coffee filter placed in the funnel.

{WFH}+SLAYER+
11-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Although I wouldn't do it personally and would follow the advice of the posters before me there is one thing you can try. Get a funnel and a clean empty bottle and pour it into the bottle straining it through a coffee filter placed in the funnel.

I was thinking about the same thing,ltho some of its crystallized into flakes, some much be still present in the coolant. Will do it tomorrow, and probably use that most likely figure out in the future if it was a good idea or not, for now I really need to finish this comp, and just cant spend more time.

If it starts to do anything funny in the coming time I will just replace the whole thing in the future, and will have some time to invest in setting up from scratch by then.

NaeKuh
11-10-2009, 03:42 PM
I was thinking about the same thing,ltho some of its crystallized into flakes, some much be still present in the coolant. Will do it tomorrow, and probably use that most likely figure out in the future if it was a good idea or not, for now I really need to finish this comp, and just cant spend more time.

If it starts to do anything funny in the coming time I will just replace the whole thing in the future, and will have some time to invest in setting up from scratch by then.

try to cook it and stir.

I actually didnt consider this option because most of the time u really wouldnt want to cook it.

The fumes are bad for you.

But try to cook it while stiring and see what happens.

Equinediver
11-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Stay away from the Primochill dyes, they are way worse than the Feser. They quickly break down and cling to everything, don't think it was even a month before it started staining my hoses, when I ripped the system down, everything was coated with it and took ages to clean.

Recently I've been using the UV clear Feser, but even that left it's mark, distilled water and killcoil for me from now on!

voigts
11-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Look, no offense, but you paid out the butt already for the Feser, had to wait and go through the trouble of getting an RMA, and now still have stuff floating around. So now you are going to add it to your loop, which may cost you way more time in cleaning things later. Seems to me that a $1 gallon of distilled water and some PT Nuke is the easier solution. I realize you said that you don't want to have to buy anything else, but if you see a potential problem, why go there?

Conumdrum
11-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Look, no offense, but you paid out the butt already for the Feser, had to wait and go through the trouble of getting an RMA, and now still have stuff floating around. So now you are going to add it to your loop, which may cost you way more time in cleaning things later. Seems to me that a $1 gallon of distilled water and some PT Nuke is the easier solution. I realize you said that you don't want to have to buy anything else, but if you see a potential problem, why go there?

+1

Why lots of us use distilled now. Less issues.

Too bad the reseller didn't check his stock before sending you a new bottle. Kinda mindless, not caring what you get...........

damunk
11-11-2009, 11:04 AM
I had something similar with Primochill PC Pure which doesn't contain Glycols, luckily it was quickly sorted and they sent me some new bottles without snow.

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp110/MunkeyBals/IMG_0116.jpg

WaterFlex
11-11-2009, 12:03 PM
I have never had problems with TFC products.

Waterlogged
11-12-2009, 10:57 PM
I have never had problems with TFC products.

. . .then maybe you should stop using their stuff now so you can continue to be able to claim that. Law of averages dictates that sooner or later, you to will have a problem with something of theirs.;)