PDA

View Full Version : AN7 serious problem

supercharged
12-04-2003, 10:21 AM
have AN7, 3200+ XP and OCZ 3500 2*512mb Platinum ltd edition.

I bought the XP 3200+ at the weekend to replace my 2500+, i have just got round to plugging the CPU in the board only to find that the CPU is overvolting. The system default should be 1.65v which ive checked, but it is defaulting 1.844v and the into the voltage section of the bios reporting 2v . So i then proceeded and reinstall the old cpu to find the same thing, and then also and older XP 2000+ paliomino core cpu and the same thing again. So i reset the bios and nothing. I have reflashed the bios and the same thing again. Tried the latest bios revision and the same thing still occurs. So basically all the time it is making my cpu vcore have a default of 1.844v, regardless of cpu i place in it. I have selected the user define section to pull the voltage back down to the defaults. Saved that and restarted and returned to the bios the bios reports the chip as being set as 1.65, but in the voltage monitoring section it still reads 2.0v's. I have tried it all the way down to 1.3v but still reading as 2v, i also no that the readin in the voltage monitorin is correct cause my cpu temps are way higher than normal

So have you any ideas, casue i do not want to run my chips at these high voltages because of the risk of damage to my CPU's. Thanks

supercharged
12-04-2003, 10:30 AM
PS here are my system spec cause ill know you wll want to know them

AN7 rev 1.0
XP3200+ barton 400fsb
OCZ 2x512mb PC3500 Dual Platinum LTD edition (BH-5) chips
Sapphire 9800pro 128mb
Maxtor SATA 120gb hd
Enermax 350w psu
Watercooled dangerden maze 4's on cpu and graphics
(Gud job i have this to keep the chip at a relatively cool level whilst experencing these isuses)

PS, only the CPU voltage has changed to 1.844v, all other voltages are normal

Cheers

ABIT Marketing
12-04-2003, 03:07 PM
We tried the same board with the same CPU and the voltage stays the same at 1.65v. Have you tried a different PSU? My guess is 350W is not enough for all the components you have in your system.

supercharged
12-04-2003, 04:49 PM
I dont think that you understand my problem exactly. I know that psu can handle whats in my system fine, the voltages do not fluctuate at all. But the problem is that the bios is not remember the settings I set it to. I mean i can set the CPU Vcore down to 1.375, yet the cpu voltage readout is always reading as 2.1v 's and i know that a barton 3200+ has a default voltage of 1.65. But why does the board think it has a default of 1.844v. So why would my PSU have any thing to do with this at all. Plus i know that my cpu is being over volted is because my cpu temps are about 10c hotter than normal.

Thanks for your suggestion but i dont the PSU has a part to play in the voltage side, the psu puts in the power what ever the board tell it to correct!

Cheers

Walrusbonzo
12-16-2003, 03:49 PM
MrIcee has this same issue.

MrIcee
12-16-2003, 04:55 PM
I'll write him directly as I have before with my findings as posted in another thread.

Randi:D

rar54
01-01-2004, 06:51 PM
Supercharged I have the same xp 3200 cpu as you running in my AN7 and have the same issues as well. I sent a email to the Abit techincal department 3 weeks ago about my AN7 not keeping my cpu voltages on restart. Well I'am letting everyone in this forum know that Abit did not bother to return a reply. I know they got my email because I got their automatic response saying they received my email and that a Abit tech will get back to me. Come on Abit, how long do I have to wait, I hope not untill my warranty expires!:mad:

jsteff
01-06-2004, 04:11 PM
It looks like this issue might have been resolved. It seems that many of the AN7's were sent from factory with the cmos jumper in the 2-3 spot instead of the normal operation of 1-2..(Apparently causing the overvolt) Abit is counting from right to left if you are looking inside the case! Make sure the jumper is in the furthest 2 pins (of the 3) from the agp and pci slots...reset your bios, reboot and check your voltages.

Hawker22
01-06-2004, 06:36 PM
I will confirm this as I am the one who discovered that my CMOS jumper was in the CLEAR position all the time. I had been having the exact same problem as is at the start of this thread and I was directed here last night but just now got my forum approval to post. Everyone should check that jumper position and make sure it is on 1&2 at the right of the three pins.
It got rid of the 1.844 VCore and it now defaults to 1.68 for the 2500+. My CPU temps went down to 38C for stock and is now sitting at 41C with clock at 200. VCore is showing 1.7 in GURU.
Colour me happy(ier)
Sure hope this may have been your situation.
Hawker22

Below Ambient
01-11-2004, 02:13 PM
hmmm a jumper in the clear position could present more than just this problem... i was checking out some of the other posts in this section regarding the AN7 and noticed that some of the issues could be connected to this simple manufacturing mistake?? :smileysex