PDA

View Full Version : Sound card advice please.

KILLER_K
11-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Well here is where i am stuck at. I have the asus r2e board with the supreme fx- x-fi software sound card.

Looking at a Creative Labs Titanium Fatal1ty pci-express card to change it out with. Looked at some reviews and they lean towards onboard sound has caught up with today's sound cards, etc.

So is it worth it? I know microsoft has cut out most of the creative stuff from working leaving it to use the emulation to do it now. Plus i am on windows 7 64bit and i'm not sure how creative is doing.

Also looking at a the asus xonar dx2 pci-express but this requires a additional power connector and no front panel in on this one. The power is needed because of the pci-express bridge in case you was wondering.
So hopefully someone has this or these cards and can shed some light my way on this subject.

AliG
11-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Yes, supreme FX is GARBAGE. I have an asus crosshair, and it was worse than integrated sound. Don't waste your money on a Titanium, all x-fi based cards have known problems with vista/7. If you must get an x-fi, be smart and buy a used one off the classifieds like I did. I saved a bundle on an extrememusic and its done the job beautifully until I got vista.

However if you want a legitimate sound option, get a xonar or a legitimate receiver. The xonar D2X spanked every x-fi product, including the prelude, in terms of sound quality. Or you go optical from a computer to a receiver, so that you can power a legit set of speakers down the road.

Arkangyl
11-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Depends what you want and what you're connecting it to honestly.

The X-Fi will be a marginal boost over onboard since, as you mentioned, it's largely software emulation which you already have.

quick rundown:
my all-around favorite :: Auzentech X-Fi Forte $120 gets you 7.1 AND a card with amp'd headphone out (needed for any good headphones IMO), head a great DAC and still uses X-Fi software

cheap 5.1/7.1 :: Xonar DX (around $60 after MIR these days), solid DAC and good software, better quality than the X-Fi's for less money
better 5.1/7.1 :: Xonar DX2 for $150ish I'm not sure it's really worth it over the DX, chances are if you're running 5.1/7.1 that would notice the difference those speakers have a real reciever with them and you should do onboard (w/ Creative software) via optical to the reciever

headphones / 2.1 :: Xonar Essence STX (what I run!) at around $200 it's pricey, and I'm not honestly sure it was worth it over the X-Fi Forte, HOWEVER it is the best of the best specification wise. The amp for headphones is stellar and it uses a top-notch Burr-Brown DAC for 2.1 & the phones. Downside is it ONLY does headphones / 2.1 / optical-out (and if you use optical-out ALL the time, just get the X-Fi for the encoding or stick with onboard)

other points:
- the sound quality is ONLY as good as your weakest link!!! thus, don't get a $200 soundcard for $20 headphones and 128 kbps MP3's, keep things balanced
- X-Fi will offer some additional encoding for games, but I've been without Creative anything for a while now and I'm not missing anything, that's my opinion though
- anything listed as computer speakers or computer / gaming headphones will do decent positional audio, but will NEVER be very good for music / movies sound quality, if you want quality, go 2.1 or 2.0 for your computer, period. (that is, unless you're dropping a few hundred in a quality 5.1 setup from the home theater section)

As far as the price lineup goes, roughtly:

128 kbps mp3's, games, basic movies :: onboard audio, basic headphones (under $40), and basic speakers (under $100 for 5.1, under $40 for 2.1 / 2.0)
192 kpbs mp3's, DVD movies, better games :: Xonar DX, onboard, or X-Fi paired with decent 5.1 ($150ish) or good 2.0/2.1 ($60-100)
FLAC, HD movies / TV, top game SQ :: X-Fi Forte, Xonar Essense STX paired with GOOD 2.0/2.1 ($100 minimum, NOTHING from 'computer speaker' section), and/or good $80+ headphones (see: www.head-fi.org for more info)

those are three rough tiers to give you an idea :-) best of luck

KILLER_K
11-09-2009, 06:00 PM
So the asus xonar dx2 out of the two then. I just wonder why didn't the do a front audio in on these cards.

AliG
11-09-2009, 06:03 PM
I have no idea, I was thinking the exact same thing myself. The essense STX has front panel because it is designed for headphones, but it also is $200 and gives you no room to expand to a home theater.

But yes, the D2X is a great sound card for music. The STX is only slightly better in terms of rendering quality, really its biggest asset is the amp, which is fantastic.

KILLER_K
11-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Well the asus will cost me around 40 bucks more. And i have a asus board so........

Why couldn't they did it native pci-express and a front audio header. Yea i know i said it already. But what 2 more bucks worth of parts maybe. And no external floppy power connector.

Will be doing some music listening, gaming a little. But i agree about the cheap headphones, speakers also. Perhaps a Blu-ray from time to time maybe.

Trying to knock it out one step at a time though. And a sound card seemed to be the best start to build around that.

AliG
11-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Once again, I don't know. That would make too much sense is my guess. And really, I would be willing to spend an extra $15 for a front panel connector, even though it probably costs a dollar to implement like you said.

Just wondering, what speakers do you have? That is just as important to consider when upgrading sound. No sense in spending $170 on a sound card if you have $10 speakers.

KILLER_K
11-09-2009, 06:32 PM
I have some z5500's in the list, i hope that should be enough. That is why i'm wondering which way to go. There are just too many choices out there. Now my head hurts from looking through pages of comments, reviews now. I have to buy a couple and perhaps test them myself.

AliG
11-09-2009, 06:38 PM
By that do you mean are planning to buy or already have the z-5500s?

KILLER_K
11-09-2009, 06:42 PM
On the list as ready to buy, unless someone offers something else to compare with. But as i was talking about the main thing was going to be the sound card. The get the rest next or a piece at the time.

AliG
11-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Ehh, logitech is great for low end, but for the money you're putting into this, I wouldn't recommend it. Quite frankly their speakers just aren't very good compared to a legitimate setup, which is understandable, they're targeting a different market.

Now for the same cost as the sound card and z-5500s, you could get this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120141

Great a starter kit. Fairly good for movies, wouldn't really use them for music, but you're not paying for that anyways. The receiver isn't great, but its enough that you can upgrade the speakers down the road for better music listening.

I myself just bought a pair of polk monitor 60s, and will get a sub for stereo use. Later on I will get a pair of monitor 70s and monitor 40s along with a cs2 for a complete 7.1 setup. I already have a cheap logitech 5.1 setup, so this way I already have 7.1 along with very good stereo (at least for the price) along with a lot of potential for growth. Granted this setup can't even lick a high JBL system etc, but on the flip side I didn't pay for a top end setup.

Its all about spending your money wisely, so that you've got not only something good now, but also something you can build off for the future.

KILLER_K
11-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Yes but i really don't want to go that far with a pc setup. I mean if i do something that extreme i will do it in the living room. As i couldn't just get that comfortable in a pc chair that close to a lcd. I rather kick back in the lazy-boy grab a cold one and watch a movie in there.

AliG
11-10-2009, 03:47 AM
Understandable, I should have said my plan is to eventually make a theater in the basement, not in my room.

Suit yourself, if you feel the z-5500 cover your needs, then go for it. Just know you'll have to start from scratch again for your next big upgrade.

I think Klipsch used to make a 5.1 set for computers, but I can't seem to find it. It's possible they stopped making it. If that's the case, then these are probably your best bet.

Donnie27
11-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Understandable, I should have said my plan is to eventually make a theater in the basement, not in my room.

Suit yourself, if you feel the z-5500 cover your needs, then go for it. Just know you'll have to start from scratch again for your next big upgrade.

I think Klipsch used to make a 5.1 set for computers, but I can't seem to find it. It's possible they stopped making it. If that's the case, then these are probably your best bet.

The Klipsch computer multimedia 5.1/2.1 speakers were a nightmare for them. Because warranty replacements caused them to loose money. When they worked, they were great but way too many sets died!

Bad Amp (http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Multimedia-Speaker-Speakers/product-reviews/B0000UI304/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&coliid=&showViewpoints=1&colid=&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending)

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/116556.aspx

Naw, ain't worth the time!

PaganII
11-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Yes, and check out the Z5500s on ebay with No Controllers. Wonder why?

AliG
11-11-2009, 01:33 PM
I wouldn't be worried about that with Logitech, they've got the best customer service I've ever dealt with. They always provide replacements without even requiring the original product if you've got a sufficient claim.

Donnie27
11-12-2009, 08:43 PM
I wouldn't be worried about that with Logitech, they've got the best customer service I've ever dealt with. They always provide replacements without even requiring the original product if you've got a sufficient claim.

They weren't for me! My control pod on my 560Z 4.1 Speakers died after 12 months and 3 weeks. They said sorry, strictly 1 year warranty. But the nice guy on the Phone said they sell me another for 42.95 after shipping. Get this, that was sweet of em. I still have them in storage! Same thing Happened with a set of Creative Megaworks 6.1 that I got for a sweet deal for only $265. They had sold for as much as $399. 13 months, then wouldn't power up any longer. Used a receiver meant as a stop-gap and never looked back!

AliG
11-13-2009, 03:59 AM
That's strange, I've never had any problems with logitech's customer service. Maybe they have different warranty policies for speakers and mice etc.

Donnie27
11-13-2009, 08:35 AM
That's strange, I've never had any problems with logitech's customer service. Maybe they have different warranty policies for speakers and mice etc.

Like I said in the AMD vs Intel wars, If bought PC Parts on Morals, Trust, and or etc..........., I'd not have a computer. I'm always defending Creative Labs and I've had negative questionable deals with them, Asus, Logitech, M-Audio and many others. So far Auzentech hasn't acted the same. So I buy almost all of their (ALL OF THEM) products on current performance and value, nothing much else.

KILLER_K
11-18-2009, 01:05 AM
Well got some z-5500's for a super great price they will be here today. Guess next to decide about the sound card still thinking on this one pretty hard. Little along though but i needed some speakers though pretty bad.

crackhead2k
11-24-2009, 12:52 AM
Asus for music for sure, you won't be disappointed...