PDA

View Full Version : 4870X2 beginning to die after 14 months

Razmatazz
11-08-2009, 01:30 PM
I have begun to have random episodes of the screen going into a weird rainbow, fine pixallation type of pattern followed by a system crash after 10 seconds. This has generally happened during low stress times such as web browsing. It has been getting worse over the past 3 weeks. I have upgraded from Vista to W7-64, tested the power supply, and tried the other slot on the MB. The problem has persisted. This would suggest that it is a problem with the video card. I took out the 4870X2 and put in a 4890 and things have been rock solid stable since.

I will be sending the card back into Newegg. As they currently don't have any of these available or anything comperable, I suspect that I will be issued a refund.

Have any of you ran into this type of card failure before?

Now for the important question. What do you think about waiting for the 5890? I can get by with the 4890 for a few months. I am also thinking about just going with the 5870 as well (perhaps two)

I have had the worst luck with this computer build. It is truly beyond belief. Motherboard RMAed once, Ram not playing nice with the motherboard (switched from Platinum to Reaper helped), Hard drive failure twice in the past two years, and now the video card. My wife wants me to just get a Dell and give up this hobby LOL. Like that's going to ever happen. But really, this totally stinks.

BeepBeep2
11-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Will newegg even take that back? I thought that you only had 30-60 days to send stuff back to them and not the manufacturer...

Razmatazz
11-08-2009, 05:07 PM
I called and spoke with a customer service Representative at Newegg. There is a two year warranty offered on the item from Sapphire but handled thru Newegg. Customer service at Newegg has been outstanding. They even sent me a prepaid shipping label for me to send the item back.

texasreefer
11-08-2009, 07:03 PM
That's really awesome on NEwegg's part. You should just get what you can get, and unload it on ebay if you're not happy with it. You could wait for the 5890s or maybe even wait to see what nVidia is going to put out. The 5870s are rock solid also, so you could wait for the price drop and get an awsome card for 250 USD. THese things just happen,,,

dan7777
11-08-2009, 07:29 PM
if it was me i would wait for 5890 or 300GT because the 5870 is just ok plays crysis just about and CF not the best with the 5870"s im seeing...

Piotrsama
11-09-2009, 03:00 AM
I have had the worst luck with this computer build. It is truly beyond belief. Motherboard RMAed once, Ram not playing nice with the motherboard (switched from Platinum to Reaper helped), Hard drive failure twice in the past two years, and now the video card. My wife wants me to just get a Dell and give up this hobby LOL. Like that's going to ever happen. But really, this totally stinks.

Are you sure that PSU is working properly?

Razmatazz
11-11-2009, 04:07 PM
PSU has been tested and is working properly. Initially when I had RMAed the motherboard, it was due to the Ram which was not very compatible (very finicky board). The motherboard was likely fine. I had purchased the setup right after it had come out. Being an early tester was much more problematic then I had anticipated it would be. The 4890 which I used to replace the 4870x2 has been working stable at idle and load for several weeks. The 4870x2 would crash even at idle low power states. The screen would suddenly go to a full multiple colored fine pixilation type of a pattern with a 1x2 inch square in which the pixilation was slightly different where the mouse cursor should be and then full system crash after several seconds. If, however, the problem happens again (which I doubt) I am going to chuck the whole darn system off of a rooftop and start from scratch.

jfer
11-11-2009, 04:40 PM
I would change in a spin that sh*ty PSU you have.
Sell that crap and buy an Enermax, Corsair or Antec.
YouŽll thank me later, believe it.

PS: My advice on a product and considering yr rig, ld be a HX750. I have one with a extreme Setup and is as stable as an Enermax Galaxy 1000W. Plus is way more efficient.:up:

lutjens
11-13-2009, 08:14 AM

PS: My advice on a product and considering yr rig, ld be a HX750. I have one with a extreme Setup and is as stable as an Enermax Galaxy 1000W. Plus is way more efficient.:up:

+1...having a top of the line power supply can easily change your computing experience from a hellish one to a perfectly smooth one.

saaya
11-13-2009, 08:42 AM
sounds like faulty memory on the card... could be a damaged gpu as well (damage from heat)

Boulard83
11-13-2009, 09:34 AM
+1 for PSU ...

Toysoldier
11-14-2009, 11:43 PM

Stay away from CorsAir and their crappy rattling PSU fans. :rolleyes:

jaredpace
11-15-2009, 01:38 AM
full of dust?

jfer
11-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Stay away from CorsAir and their crappy rattling PSU fans. :rolleyes:

Why? have y ever had a problem with a Corsair PSU? Not really interested in your opinion, just let me say this: I had a HX-620 on a extreme cooled C2D 8400 for 5days and it never gave up. I had dozens of PSUŽs and Ill say it again, Antec, Enermax and Corsair are my ONLY choices. And if you think Corsair has rattling fans go for an Enermar Galaxy Dxx and let me know what y think(again im not interested:rofl:).

texasreefer
11-16-2009, 07:49 AM
sounds like faulty memory on the card... could be a damaged gpu as well (damage from heat)

I'm with Saaya, I think it's the card...

kiwik
11-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Stay away from CorsAir and their crappy rattling PSU fans. :rolleyes: ROFL

Even an Idle HD makes more noise than a HX Corsair PSU.