PDA

View Full Version : hardware sharing allowed?

Foamy
11-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Simple question, is it allowed in a team to share hardware and improve results?

thx

chew*
11-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Simple question, is it allowed in a team to share hardware and improve results?

thx

You may share cpu for 3d.....but not vid cards...

You may share OS, mobo and ram I think but not cpu for 2d.

Hondacity
11-08-2009, 08:41 AM
we can share hardware *wink* :D

Don_Dan
11-08-2009, 12:14 PM
This could have been handled a bit more subtle.... ;)

Essentially, chew* is right, no CPU sharing for 2D, no VGA sharing for 3D.

Foamy
11-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Tell me how is there anyway to control this? Is this one of those rules where you have to rely on trust?

Don_Dan
11-08-2009, 12:24 PM
There is no way to control it. It always comes down to trust.

For big oc sessions where many overclockers meet hwbot requested photos of the hardware, but controlling that all these CPU/graphics cards were used and not only the best clocking one, is impossible.

chew*
11-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Tell me how is there anyway to control this? Is this one of those rules where you have to rely on trust?

No way to control it and technically it's easily exploited but just like cherry chips, cheating, exploiting etc etc it's beyond control.

TRG
11-11-2009, 04:57 AM
I think I could have lost some points due to hardware sharing.

Look at the guys from OCClub: http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/pentium_3_celeron_1.0a_ghz_tualatin?tab=hall%20of% 20fame

They are posting almost similar scores at similar speeds with almost similar hardware. Even their CPU-Z validation is done in the same hour (you can also see that the numbers from the links are close together).

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=606597
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=606510

I reported in the forum, but the moderator was very sure that this was definitely no hardware sharing. Personally I don't believe it, but what can I do?

chew*
11-11-2009, 05:46 AM
TBH I don't do this, myself and msimax have posted results within the same benching sessions, we've also had multiple rigs running.

Every cpu that he has submitted a result with is a CPU I sent him home with, etc i gave it to him and he own's it now.

We have benched 3d together on multiple occasions and it's a joint effort however whose ever cards we are using at the time gets the credit.

I would be far more worried about vga sharing versus cpu sharing unless global top 20 results are possible.

Vga's usually have alot higher points attached to the results.

The real problems lies in this.......I can sell a team mate my best cpu.....I can buy it back a week later, same with vga's............Like I said easily exploited.

If your going to pick a battle to fight make sure the results that have a lot of points attached to it as you might win a battle but never a war. ;)

Don_Dan
11-11-2009, 02:40 PM
They seem to be aware of the fact that their scores look suspicious, however the Russian teams test a lot of old hardware. Proving that they actually shared hardware is too difficult anyway, as lame as it may sound. Just do your best and improve your scores! :up:

You put up some nice scores nontheless. And now I know why I never found you on XS when I looked for _Datura_. I would be glad to see you in the XS hwbot team thread! :)

jmke
11-26-2009, 05:52 AM
while HWbot can't control if hardware was shared or not, rest assured that once caught sharing due to a small slip up, gaining back lost trust will be very hard ;)