PDA

View Full Version : Dual HD4870X2 ATIKDMAG.SYS error RIIE

affiliate13
11-08-2009, 05:40 AM
Hi all,
I have the parts listed in my sig and up until i installed some new board blocks i was able to run both X2s hassle free.
When i put them back in and try to boot into windows i get the ATIKDMAG.SYS error.

Here is what i have tried so far:

Both cards work fine when used separately in the top slot or i can leave the lower one in but with power removed for the bottom card.
I have tried two different crossfire bridges both ways around.
Both cards worked on Beta7100 until i installed motherboard waterblocks.
After I installed board blocks, ATIKDMAG error appears.
Can boot into windows in safe mode, but not normally since new blocks went on.
Reinstalled Windows to Win7 Ulti RTM no joy.
Tried Different PSU cables for both 6 and 8pin.
Tested each card individually in top PCIe x16 slot.
Tested a separate 4870 512mb in middle slot (otherwise i would have to pull the loop apart to redo tubing)
Error appears at stock BIOS config and original previously working overclocked settings.

In essence the card in the middle slot (lower PCIe x16 slot not bottom x8 slot) does not work with another card in the top slot. I cannot get any kind of signal to monitor from middle card when there is a top card installed.

Ready to try anything at this point.
You comments and suggestions are most welcome indeed.

texasreefer
11-08-2009, 06:23 AM
It sounds like you sprung a leak...it only takes one drop. Did you run your loop for 24hrs before you fired up your PC? Do you think that could be an issue?

affiliate13
11-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Yes loop was well bled, but both cards still work if i put either of them in the top slot separately/one at a time.
I have QDCs on them so it is easy to swap the top for bottom card, its just awkward to put either in the middle slot on their own as i will need to drain the GFX loop and re cut the tubing to add another couple of inches to allow the feed from the rad to reach a card in the middle slot directly without going through the top card.
I reckon thats probably the next thing to try though, not that i can see how it will help. lol.
That said the bottom card only fails to work when it is in the middle slot and i have tried a separate 4870 512MB in the middle on its own with both X2s pulled out so i think the middle slot is working alright.

I just tried reinstalling windows again with the bottom cards power pulled out and installed Cat10 and then on reboot put the power back into the bottom card and again it fails. However when this bottom card is placed in the top slot alone it seems fine.

Really confusing, i am sure its something i am overlooking here but i feel like i am just going round in circles now.

EDIT: If i leave both cards in and remove the power to the top card i can boot into windows just fine, so it seems the issue only presents itself when both cards are connected up.

texasreefer
11-08-2009, 07:09 AM
So when you installed catalyst you had both cards powered up right? Man...somethings not right here..

EDIT - when you reinstalled OS and Cat...why did you disconnect power? That could have ruled out a couple things.

What if you unistall catalyst completely, then connect power to second card....will it boot into windows with no video drivers installed?

jcool
11-08-2009, 07:15 AM
I have been getting those exact same errors while playing with two 4870X2's on a GB P55M-UD4. After a few reboots the system would not boot up any more but always BSOD showing that error. Reinstalling Windows fixed the issue.. for a few hours :ROTF:
Cards are 100% fine, it's a proven driver issue. Was using Vista 64 and Cat. 9,10

affiliate13
11-08-2009, 07:23 AM
So when you installed catalyst you had both cards powered up right? Man...somethings not right here..

EDIT - when you reinstalled OS and Cat...why did you disconnect power? That could have ruled out a couple things.

What if you unistall catalyst completely, then connect power to second card....will it boot into windows with no video drivers installed?

I cannot have both cards powered up if i want to login to windows at all, unless i login in safe mode. This applies even after a clean install with no Cat setup all on and just on windows drivers.
So i had to install Windows7 with one card powered up, with two i cant log in.
This again led me to believe that power is at fault so i grabbed a spare PSU and ran the lower card of it and still the same issue i am afraid.

Thanks for your suggestions thus far.

texasreefer
11-08-2009, 07:26 AM
You know I've been having issues with 9.10 also, I'm currently running 9.9. I think drivers past 9.9 are more configured for 5800 series cards, with 9.10 my catalyst window runs glitchy ie. when I'm using Overdrive and changing clock settings it will skip or twitch...wierd.

EDIT: affiliate....it doesn't sound like it is not working on the part of Know-How. I know when I was using quick-disconnects, there was always coolant (a drop or two) left inside the connector. I fried an old HD3870 that way, one drop on the back of the PCB (that I was unaware of), and that card was gone. Maybe there is fluid in the second PCIE 16 slot, use a compressed air can and blow throughout your MB. I know that I have had a few leaks and my board has survived...and I mean LEAKS, totally drenching the MB and GCS below the 1st PCIE 16 slot. I use the Third Slot for my second card, maybe that will work. Do the LEDs on the GCs indicate a certain error?

affiliate13
11-08-2009, 07:27 AM
I have been getting those exact same errors while playing with two 4870X2's on a GB P55M-UD4. After a few reboots the system would not boot up any more but always BSOD showing that error. Reinstalling Windows fixed the issue.. for a few hours :ROTF:
Cards are 100% fine, it's a proven driver issue. Was using Vista 64 and Cat. 9,10

Seems odd that it was all working on Beta7100 cat9.8 but not after i put it all back in.
Thats what led me to reinstall, but it doesnt seem to matter if i let windows use its drivers or use cat9.10 same BSOD.

Hmm, maybe ill try Vista, see if its something up with Win7, annoying as it worked so well on Beta in the past.

Thanks for your comments, its appreciated.

Razmatazz
11-08-2009, 01:11 PM
You know I've been having issues with 9.10 also, I'm currently running 9.9. I think drivers past 9.9 are more configured for 5800 series cards, with 9.10 my catalyst window runs glitchy ie. when I'm using Overdrive and changing clock settings it will skip or twitch...wierd.

I have noticed the same thing. I suspect that it is something with 9.10. I hope they get this one ironed out for the next release. When using overdrive, the screen will twitch and the I will lose grasp of the slider. I can adjust settings, it's just that I have to get to the correct setting right away or else it will "twitch" and reset and I will have to go at it again.

texasreefer
11-08-2009, 06:35 PM
yesir.... That's the way ATI works...when the 4870s first came out I still had 3870s, and once the next series of drivers came out they were all geared towards the 4870s. These are even more different because of the architecure of the 5870s. So, I guess the 9.9s are going to be all she wrote for the 4870 drivers.

Affiliate13.....what's the story...any luck...

Razmatazz
11-08-2009, 08:13 PM
So, I guess the 9.9s are going to be all she wrote for the 4870 drivers.

Now this really stinks. Especially since there is such a lack of the latest inventory at the moment.

affiliate13
11-09-2009, 12:19 AM
I dont seem to be getting anywhere forward at the moment so i plan to strip the board and remount everything.
In regards to the QDCs, when separating them i wrapped them in a cloth to catch any liquid and left a cloth with a rubberband on it incase another drop may have fallen out.
The middle slot does seem to work fine as i have tried a 4870/512mb in there and if i only power the middle X2 up and leve the power disconnected to the top card i can boot into windows fine too.
I am having trouble with the RAID array so i think its time to rebuild and test everything separately.
Could be the way the board is mounted.

Ill post back once i work out what way i want to do it.

Thanks for your suggestions :)

cavfire
11-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Catalyst 9.10 has been funky with me too. Would get terrible screen corruption every now and again when starting up a game. Would have to exit and restart and all would be fine, and after removing CCC and going with Ati Tray Tools for crossfire my issues are mysteriously gone. Also had to do a reinstall (well went from an old XP install to Vista 64 so it was needed) to get stability as XP was black screening during games. This is only with two 4870s but I thought I had a bum card there for a few days.